Core Skills Mod v1.0.9

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Lohen, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Lohen

Lohen Member

Killing this project until some of the biggest offenders to game balance are dealt with by Gaslamp, they are too big for me to tackle with the limited ability to mod the game we currently have:
    1. Critical chance ignoring Dodge, Counter, and Block stats
    2. Dodge preventing you from an opportunity to Counterattack if its roll succeeds
    3. Skills cannot scale (properly) with any stat besides Magic Power
    I do highly recommend everyone installs Essence's Essential DoD Core Skill Rebalance mod, though:
    http://community.gaslampgames.com/threads/essential-dod-core-skill-rebalance-v-0-1.2099/

2. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

This is all good (and I'm working on something somewhat similar myself) but keep in mind that core skills currently don't have mod support, so in order to do this a player who wants it is going to have to create a second install of DoD and manually copy the mod files into place. :(

3. Lohen

Lohen Member

I'm aware, but you don't really need a second DoD install, you just need to backup your original db files so you can replace mine later if you don't like the changes they make.

4. kitmehsu

kitmehsu Member

how are you making the procs based on melee power and multipling it? As far as I knew, it was limited to just basing stuff on magic power.

5. Lohen

Lohen Member

<spell name="Viking Strike" downtime="5" type="adjacent" icon="skills/warrior/axemanship1_32.png" attack="1">

In the line above, the attack="1" part can be modified to any whole number, but going past 2 (on an on-command attack) would be very broken as late game people have said they get 20-30 melee power stat fairly easily. Don't add this to ranged attacks unless you want them to be counter-able by enemies (this was what Ruigi said in IRC, I didn't test it).

6. Essence

Really? I always thought the "1" was Boolean. I know in the SwiftStriker mod, damage multiples were achieved by using a single "attack=1" spell that had multiple <effect type="damage"> lines. The attack-ness of the ability occurs separately with each damage effect.

And yes, I can verify that a large AoE "attack=1" effect can and will get countered by multiple enemies simultaneously. It's kind of scary. :D

7. Essence

Also,

I'm fairly confident that Sneak is a flat % chance to be ignored/fail to set off a trap. Give a character a +100 sneak buff and you can walk around everything nonstop.

8. Null

Null Will Mod for Digglebucks

You can still be detected with 100 sneak, but only by really trying hard to (ie walking directly next to a monster for a few turns, or making tons of noise, or just luring them), but traps cannot trigger EVER. At zero sneak you can still fail to be detected and sometimes traps will fail to go off.

Also: scaling on staves seems like it should be way off. 60% is not even close to average aoe scaling, especially on a short-cooldown ability. Hell single target abilities rarely get past 40.

Also you assumed whole number values only work for attack, it can be decimals as well, I had one with 1.5. They'll even take into account half points of melee power.

Also the cooldowns on procs do nothing, you can easily get two of any of them in a row.

9. Lohen

Lohen Member

Oh, good information! Thanks! Btw, I took Obvious Fireball as my standard for AoE damage scaling. Are you saying it isn't a good standard to use, then?

10. Null

Null Will Mod for Digglebucks

I actually made a mistake with the decimals there. They act differently, but don't work right. As in they only take into account decimals in the melee power, not the whole numbers.

Obvious Fireball has been that skill that people have whined about the strength of forver. It is not a good standard. Only dots really have a large scaling, aoe generally has higher costs than single target but scales nearly the same (that is, .25 - .45). And besides, obvious fireball does .65 to the target hit directly and .45 to everything else, not .6 to all.

Completely unrelated but apparently sprites/sfx/null is valid to not have a sprite. Found that in Obvious Fireball.

11. Lohen

Lohen Member

I've managed to break DoD somewhere in my changes, unfortunately. The going has gotten tough, will I get going?

Edit: figured out where I was breaking the game, and also that adding attack="1" on to skills actually makes you commit a melee attack when using it, and that you do not get this extra attack when targeting monsters outside of your normal melee range (no diagonals, even).

Given that most of my re-balancing was focused on making melee more viable late game, this is a pretty crushing blow to my efforts, and I'm putting them on hold indefinitely. In the mean time I suggest you check out Essence's core skills re-balance mod, it does a great job.