Windows Vista/7 64-bit Constant crashes and character corruption

Discussion in 'Bugs' started by Myrkabah, Jun 27, 2013.

1. Myrkabah

Myrkabah Member

I've literally had three characters experience crashes and savegame corruption that forced me to restart out of my last three tries. Something will happen, the game will crash, and when I come back the character will either throw an error on load, or dump me back to the title screen.

What is causing this to happen? The game is almost completely unplayable like this.

Mod list:

More Dred
    Death by a Thousand Taunts
    Roguish Renovation
    Interior Dredmorating
    Compleat Essential
    Faxpax

Bohandas likes this.
  2. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Is this using the beta or the current version? The best should have all the crashes taken care of. You can either download the patch on this forum (sticky in Bugs) or subscribe to it through Steam.

Kazeto likes this.
  3. Myrkabah

Myrkabah Member

I'm giving this a try - thanks!

4. Myrkabah

Myrkabah Member

No dice. I got to DL3 twice yesterday with the beta active - the first time, the game crashed, and the save game completely disappeared.

The second time, I went to load my game from last night today, and it's telling me that it's corrupt and can't find "FaxPax". But I have it activated in my mods list. I don't understand why this keeps happening.

Is it because I have Dredmor installed on a different drive than my save game folder?

Here's a link to the save game: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22485949/staffquisitor.dredmorsave.rar

5. Myrkabah

Myrkabah Member

I'm trying a full reinstall now. I'll let you know if that goes OK.

6. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

Try running the game without mods too.

Myrkabah, Kazeto and Wootah like this.
  7. Wootah

Wootah Member

What Loerwyn said.
    If the crash is mod related, then your best bet is to figure out which mods are creating the crash through some processes of elimination.

Once you figure out which mods (or combination of mods), it might make more sense to contact the author with the details. They will be able to either
    A) Fix their mod
    B) Identify a problem with how DoD should work but isn't and then let someone at gaslamp know there is something wrong with DoD.

Myrkabah and Kazeto like this.
  8. Myrkabah

Myrkabah Member

Current status:

My next try after the reinstall met the same fate. The next time I booted up my computer, all the skill icons in the load screen were blank, and the load failed saying that the save game was corrupted/incomplete, and that it couldn't load the mod "Faxpax".

Next up is some mod testing. I'll report back with what I can figure out. I just can't figure out how it's corrupting the save game between computer reboots.

9. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

It might not be very helpful, but I suggest turning off the "Steam Cloud" for DoD. It has to be done manually, by editing the "config.xml" file (found one directory higher than the installed mods) and changing this line:
    Code:
    <setting name="enableSteamCloud" value="1"/>
    To this:
    Code:
    <setting name="enableSteamCloud" value=0"/>
    And after that, reinstalling all the mods you are using (but leaving the game itself intact).

As I said, it might not help you any (I don't think it will help with getting your current characters, though it might help future ones). But something is definitely messing with your data, and the "Steam Cloud" has an unfortunate tendency to go haywire on occasions and mess with data.

10. Myrkabah

Myrkabah Member

I'm not sure if it was reinstalling the game on my main drive, or turning off the steam cloud, but my latest attempt seems to be working OK. Thanks, everyone!