Conquering with Count Winmor, the Vampire Monk

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by LawfulWaffle, Jul 15, 2011.

1. LawfulWaffle

LawfulWaffle Member

I just stopped playing this after a five hour marathon session, and I think I've found a skill set that works for new players who are interested. Up front, it's Unarmed, Berserker, Vampire, Blood Magic, Promethean Magic, Assassination, and Alchemy. I'm not saying there's nothing about that set I wouldn't change, but it's been working pretty well for the most part.

A disclaimer though. Count Winmor was not the first the use this build. First was Count Punchmor. He died unceremoniously to a bat. Then Count Kickmor, who fell for one too many traps. Count Hitmor made it to level two before being over run by a vicious gang of diggles. Counts Killmor, Diemor, and Failmor didn't even live long enough to flex even once. But Count Winmor... he's a winner.

Unarmed Vampires are glass cannons for the first level, mainly because they have a hard time stealing enough life to counter what's being dealt to them. If you get a little lucky with enemy and item placement, once you level up and can buy the corpse eating ability you'll have a much easier time tackling moderate groups of enemies. Berserk is helpful for the damage buffs that trigger fairly often and last a few turns, although I'm mid-way through the fourth floor and I haven't put a single point into it. Assassination is nice for extra criticals, which finish conflicts faster and can save you from a counter attack. Alchemy is nice for healing potions since food is inedible to vampires, but certain fruits can be turned into booze for a steady flow of spells. And spells are where Winmor shines. I was kind of turned off with Promethean's skill tree, with a trap at level two and a pet at level three, but it has been incredibly useful. The trap is a powerful damage over time ability that can be spammed into large groups or zoos for maximum carnage, and the pet is a good decoy to keep yourself from being surrounded. I don't keep him active normally, but because you can summon him anywhere you can see it's easy to warp a dragon into the middle of an enemy group. Even if the dragon dies, his corpse is a useful source of health.

Winmor and all his brothers are/were permadeath characters, which is the only thing I would change. Mainly because I had to open the save to remember the skill names and quit without saving by accident. So, that's Count Winmor: The diggle punting, fireball throwing, corpse eating, blood bathing, berserker assassin alchemist who climbed a mountain of corpses to be killed by user negligence.