Community Mod

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Blind Piper, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Fayd

Fayd Member

GUYS! I had a skilltree thought that works out perfectly for this (and goodness, I've been trying to find a modder to do it for me for a while, I don't have the time or skill to do it myself)... with the chief exception being that it is a cleric of the Lutefisk god, but that's easy enough to re-purpose. I posted it a while ago in the Suggestions forum, (and I'll link it at the end of this post), but the highlights: It's a lutefisk-based casting class, with an ultimate skill called "Power Word: SKÖL" that deals trasmutation damage and returns lutefisk based on the damage dealt!

It's the first skill on the link; the others aren't terribly helpful for this project.

http://community.gaslampgames.com/threads/skill-suggestions.1339/

2. Lorrelian

Lorrelian Member

I like the sound of this project. I would like to propose that you seriously consider exploring a section of the game that is somewhat grievously under-represented at the moment.

I am speaking, of course, of pants.

Case in point. If I want to take a nice, comfortable stroll through the lower levels of the dungeon wearing pants that aren't likely to attract attention, my best choice at the moment is... parachute pants. Now don't get me wrong, I like to encase my legs in fabulously chafing layers of chain and steel as much as the next person, but you can't expect me to want to dress like that all the time.

So you're adding a new deity. Clerics of the deity would probably want to wear pants. Maybe s/he gives out rewards specific to each archetype. Consider making a pair of pants for each of them. Keep in mind that pants com in a staggering variety of forms. Sequined pants, uneven pants and, of course, the Pant (singular.) I know you're a craft group of people, so I trust you can invent some decent lower body wear that will be both functional and fashionable!

Thank you for your time.

3. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

I think it would be better if one of us simply created a pantsy mod in the meantime. I'm not saying that there'll be no pants at all in this mod, but this is supposed to be slightly bigger in concept, so we shouldn't force people to use it if they don't want to just for the sake of underwear.

4. Lorrelian

Lorrelian Member

o_o

Maybe just some deific pants?

Seriously, though, I can understand that. But there isn't really a lot of content for the lower body in the game right now (shoes belts or pants) so it would be something to keep in mind as you're working on items/recipes. I also feel that a pants themed room could be in order. Basically, what I'm trying to say is, as skill set doesn't have to be devoted to a problem to help correct it (see, Swift Striker and Magic Resistance.) As you're thinking outside the box on mod theme, think outside the box on mod content.

Wizards could use some nice shoes too.

5. @Lorrelian
    You're right about the pants situation - part of the reason Batman krong'd his pants early was that I realized parachute pants were easily one of the top 3 options for his style of character, if not the absolute best. I didn't have to worry about finding a better drop later.

I can't promise any particular amount of focus paid to the pants/shoes situation directly, but I've added it to the tracker just in case. Also, if/when creating worn equipment, I'll look for an opportunity to add a relevant pair of pants or two.

@Everyone else
    If we're serious about this, this forum will quickly fail us for anything except discussion. I've started a sheet on Google Docs to help us keep track of our progress:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AlCkkeUwgmZ3dHZLU2pZSUltYnhHY19SVVZJRFMtUHc
    PM me your email address and you can edit it, add things, etc.

How about we share files on Dropbox? Many people have it already. It's free, and if you sign up with my link (http://db.tt/yN9O3cr), I get an extra 500 MB of storage space. If we want to be SUPER serious SourceForge would probably be an even better tool for collaboration, but I've never used it before, but I've always wanted to learn.

I coded up the Wads/Mounds/Katamaris of Favor, including the recipes in craftDB.xml and items in itemDB.xml. Right now, they're a food item that instantly heals you for an amount equal to what I would call their "lutefisk equivalent", as well as gives you the Food healing over time attribute for the same amount. That already gives people one minor blessing they can claim in case of emergencies without having to craft anything extra. OTOH, it could mean you accidentally right click (and eat) a whole katamari, which is a huge waste of a potent blessing unless you desperately need 64 hp RIGHT NOW and have no other options.

6. Ruigi

Ruigi Will Mod for Digglebucks

too much talking about stuff. not enough doing.

7. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

Sound familiar? <smirk>

8. Can you throw together 3 increasingly large wads of Lutefisk meat? Whether mashed, stacked vertically, glued together, stapled, etc - it's your call.

9. Maverick8187

Maverick8187 Member

I'm willing to offer what I can, even with a lack of modding skill. Though it could end up providing on-the-job (hobby?) training...

Would it be feasible for the Lutefisk Warrior line of enemies to drop actual lutefisks on death?

10. Werediggler

Werediggler Member

That would be possible with 1.0.10 with the spawn on death commands they plan to add.

11. I REPLIED TO THE WRONG PERSON. Would you be up for making imageses of lutefiskses as mentioned above?

12. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Just one question, before I waste my time doing something wrong (as I started working on the item buffs). How many buffs do we want, and how strong compared to other stuff are they supposed to be?

And, on a similar note, do we want buff-giving items to be crafted with only lutefisk-derived items, or is other junk supposed to be used as ingredients too?

13. Blind Piper

Blind Piper Member

I made some notes on various Nethack monsters and some notable traits. I tried to tie some into Dredmor mechanics for ease of use later, but some (such as Owlbear), I just left as generalized. This isn't an entire list of Nethack monsters, just things I thought we might be able to use at a glance.

MONSTERS FROM NETHACK

Ants
    +Swarms
    +Extra actions - one turn debuff to player?

Cockatrice
    +Chance of death? Probably not. Petrification-related debuff?

Eyes and Spores
    +Chance of on-hit cause paralysis
    +Explode on death

Tengu
    +Teleport
    +Drops single-use teleport item?

Nymphs
    +Steal & teleport
    +Steal as kleptoblobby

Rothe
    +Big animal that drops several steaks on death

Giant Spider
    +On-hit poison
    +Webs?

Unicorns
    +Unicorn horn
    +Sac for divine favour = drop deific favour on death?

Vortex
    +Cause debuff
    +On-death cancel debuff by name

Lights
    +On-melee death reduce sight radius severely

Dragons
    +Drop scales, can use to craft scale mail for magic resistant armour

Gnome
    +Something to replicate Gnome-with-a-Wand-of-Death, though less lethal

Quantum Mechanic
    +On-hit cause player to blink
    +Schrodinger's cat?

Trolls
    +On-death delayed self-resurrection?

Umber Hulk (Or Dwarves)
    +Digging monsters

Owlbear
    +Restrict movement somehow

Golems
    +Made of material, ex: Steel Golem
    +Drop material type on death

Succubus/Incubus
    +Can cause permanent stat change
    +Can give/take XP

Wi§p likes this.
  14. I would say that lutefisk is the only currency to be used. Requiring Aqua Regia means that outside factors such as a mod that spawns Regia, or a player who uses a lot of Regia for their Alchemy stuff, will influence the player's ability to acquire the proper blessing.

The nice thing about a currency system is that we can adjust item costs as we see fit. If you give a player random potions for free, you have to avoid giving away enough to make the player "OP". With the Favor system, if one of your buffs is super-incredible, then it might require 3 Mounds and 1 lutefisk. If it's minor, 1 mound will do it. We can cost things before, during, and after the item's design phase until we're happy with stuff. We'll be relying a lot on our playtester's feedback for the costing part!

15. It'd be interesting to see that lutefisk mound idea integrated into the normal crafting system as well, maybe like really high level equipment that can only be crafted with mounds of divine favor as a component or something like that. It may be a bit clumsy, but it'd even be a way to imitate other gods, like (just off the top of my head) there's a god of magic who really appreciates sacrifices of tomes, so you "sacrifice" them by way of crafting recipes to receive chunks of favor which are in turn crafted into high level, god-appropriate equipment.

It also occurred to me just now that, adding new gods aside, doing this would be a great way to give Krong a bit more flesh beyond the current random curse/bless thing. Just make it so that anything at the Fine Steel level or higher can be sacrificed for chunks of favor and those chunks are used in recipes that can only be accessed above level 5 smithing. It would definitely give him more presence in the game at least.

Wi§p likes this.
  16. Ryvian

Ryvian Member

Gimme an idea or two, concrete ones, and I'll churn out the code for the item/spell/skill/craft faster than you can say computer. I'll leave all the icon and image as placeholder.png so you'll have to come up with your own icons.

17. Loswaith

Loswaith Member

I'm happy to assist as I can. Point me where you need me to work on stuff, and ill churn it out (art unfortunatly isnt my strong suit, I'm better as a coder).

As for added materials there is nothing stoping having the lutefisk create different components such as instead of Aqua Regia, have 3 or 4 lutefisk make lutefisk juice/oil (or whatever, yes it sounds gross too), then you have more reason to use up lutefisk with more variety.

Lutefisk paste, Lutefisk glue, Lutefisk poison, hardened lutefisk, dried lutefisk... the list can go on and on

18. Wi§p

Wi§p Member

If you guys are serious about a full Lutefisk based economy/ currency system then you might want to consider balancing the item to Lutefisk ratios a bit.. with Burglary you can easily get 1000's of lockpicks, theres grated cheese and other common items that split into multiples, you can't seriously tell me that high end gear has the same Lutefisk (and therefor buff/ trade) value as booze, food, something else thats completely free or very common.

I really like where this mod is going BTW, and I'll be happy to give advice whenever I can.. just don't expect me to be too talkative.

19. Blind Piper

Blind Piper Member

Ryvian and Loswaith, if any of those Nethack monsters jump out at you as interesting, let me know and I can start working on related sprites. As a warning: my sprite-making will be slow; I'm not too experienced with it, but I'm dedicated enough to do sixty frames of slightly different poses.

Wi§p, we're going to have to balance the lutefisk economy primarily around items that are readily available in large quantities (lockpicks, grated cheese, etc.). Having a disproportionate trade-value for high-end gear is unfortunate, but there's not much we can do about it. All I can think of is potentially making a skill in a tree that sacrifices a item and (hopefully with 1.0.10) give lutefisk based on the item's type. Or if we can code a room that's a shop guaranteed to sell tall stacks of lutefisk.

20. badboy80

badboy80 Member

Okay, so I'll get started on the different Lutefish monsters, and the different drops of lutefisk. What variations should I make? Also, for a warrior lutefisk skill, "Art of Lute-Fist"