Colorblind mode

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by tentacled-godqueen, Aug 3, 2012.

1. There's a checkbox in the launcher for it, but I have yet to see any noticeably changes?

If there is a place somewhere where a colorblind mode would help, I definitely want it, I just... don't know what it actually changes?

2. FaxCelestis

FaxCelestis Will Mod for Digglebucks

Changes outlines on health bars, traps hidden behind blockers or walls, and invisible monsters from red to blue.

tentacled-godqueen likes this.
  3. AvzinElkein

AvzinElkein Member

In other words, a few things are changed to accommodate Red/Green colorblindness, not true colorblindness.

4. Oh wow yep I need that. >.<

Yes I know how colorblindness works I have quite a lot of experience with it :p

I was asking what the specific changes were since the game seemed to be lacking the worst offenders (colorcoded interface cues eagghhgahghhgh)

5. AvzinElkein

AvzinElkein Member

You forgot the </sarcasm> tag.

6. Nooooo I definitely need that? Distinguishing red and black (and for other darkish shades) is fairly hard to do without careful examination and noise like say, the dungeon floor texture would make it worse.

7. FaxCelestis

I know exactly what you mean, The fungus floor has so much green visual noise that oftentimes I skip it as quickly as possible just so I don't accidentally kill myself on a missed trap or monster.

8. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

I can add an enforced palette rotation for monsters as an optional XML tag - if we have a particularily bad monster, we can force it to palette rotate when colorblind mode is enabled so that you get sufficient visual contrast.

Is this acceptable?

9. DawnOfNights

DawnOfNights Member

That is true colorblindness, you still see color when you are colorblind, but things like red and green look allot like other colors(brown ect). Though there are different types of colorblindness, none of the is a black and white vision.(incase you didnt know :D)
    examples:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

That is why red has been replaced by blue :)

Marak likes this.
  10. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

I know it sounds silly, but are the lower images really supposed to be different?

11. Of course I have protanomaly not deuteranopia :p (Er, basically, deuteranopia you can't see green; deuteranomaly, which is the most common form, you CAN see green but your eyes aren't as sensitive to it; and then protanomaly/protanopia would be the same but with red. And I'm pretty sure that's oversimplifying things but they all result in red/green/brown having contrast issues. And there's more types of colorblindness but they're muuuuch rarer.)

Anyway, the blue is SO MUCH BETTER than the red outlines, so it really helps.

I think something like that would probably help; I personally haven't had issues (at least, that i can remember :p I may forgotten some :p) but that would definitely help address places where there's not enough contrast.

12. I can see a slight difference? Although I mean. I'm probably NOT the a reliable person to be answering this :p

13. FaxCelestis

It's not the monsters, in my experience: most of them pop out fine. Its just that the fungus floor specifically just has so much going on, all in shades of one color, that tends to make it hard on my (and I assume other deuteranopic) eyes. http://www.colblindor.com/2008/12/23/15-tools-color-blindness/ One of these might help understand what I'm talking about.

14. DawnOfNights

DawnOfNights Member

Ive got some bad news for you...;)

Yes they are different, red looks yellow now, and everything has a more 'yellow' feel to it.

15. FaxCelestis

For the biggest difference, check out the pants in the center. That's really the only difference I can see, but I am also admittedly deuteranopic.

16. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Which explains things. I knew I had a problem with red/orange before, so thank you for that answer.

17. ON THE TOPIC of colorblind mode, can we have one for the forum? (/is there a setting to change link color and/or underline them)

Because, as I mentioned earlier in this thread, can't see red/black contrast very well.

18. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

I'm PMing you a possible solution.