Clockwork Knights 2.5

Discussion in 'Mod Releases' started by Ruigi, Dec 23, 2011.

1. Ruigi

Ruigi Will Mod for Digglebucks

it's mostly minutia, to install my mod, all you need to do is extract the folder from the zip file to your mods folder.

2. Damien

Damien Member

Ah, worked like a charm, thank you.

3. kino5

kino5 Member

Hey Ruigi, I'd like to ask you one question about the Clockwork Rail Launcher:

I would like an explanation about how does Railgun Point Blank and Railgun Penetrate work. I thought I understood it when I read it in Dredmorpedia, but I just died using it and I still don't know why. I explain the situation: I stand in front of a lot of dead monsters from a zoo I'm trying to complete. Until that moment, all the monsters were killed on melee combat, but as I found a 3 space gap until the next monster, I decided to fire a Clockwork Drill Bomb. What happened is that all the bodies in the floor started to display some kind of a rock animation, and when the explosion of the Drill Bomb took effect, it began to reproduce one time after another. I started to lose health in every explosion, and couldn' do a thing because my turn didn't even get to me before I lost my entire health bar and consecuently died.

Of course, I expected being hit by the explosion, but since I had some fire resistance and some health regeneration on the way, I thought I could handle it. One shot al least, anyway :-P

The thing is, I thought the Rail Launcher just penetrated towards the first enemy one time, but I don't understand why all of that happened...

4. lccorp2

lccorp2 Member

Kino, this happens when you target a monster standing on a bunch of bodies with the rail launcher or drill bombs. I'm not sure what it is in the XML that makes it behave that way--Ruigi can better answer that--but I think he mentioned in his previous posts that he's aware of the issue.

5. kino5

kino5 Member

Well, I just checked and yes, this has been stated before (I should've checked, my bad), but I saw no answer from Ruigi, so my question stands, and now that you mentioned it, one question to add: Is it an issue, or intended?

I don't know if my english sounds a bit harsh (it's not my mother language), so don't think I'm trying to be rude or something, I just have curiosity about what happened to me :p. Thanks Iccorp2 for answering and Ruigi, just one more thing to say: I just LOVE this mod :)

6. Ryvian

Ryvian Member

Yeah, I don't fire the exploding clockwork bolts when I can get hit by it. Otherwise, it's freaking amazing, depending on how many corpses are standing there, It can trigger like 10 times in a row, which clear out monster zoos and large mobs in a few turns. Pointblank is probably my favorite, since for every corpse under your target, it will trigger another time, hold a choke point, and just fire at point blank, 3 creature walking into you in a straight line will get hit by 24 piercing damage* number of corpses, plus it triggers on the turn after yours as well, so when the first monster dies, a 3rd one can simply walk into the space the previous one took, and STILL take the damage, it literally shreds monsters to bits. I don't know about you, but this bug is awesome to me. Sure there's a risk involved, but the advantage is amazing.

7. kino5

kino5 Member

Well, it is really a lot of damage, but i don't know, I don't want to think that I want this bug to stay like that, if it's effect wasn't really intended. The Rail Launcher is awesome as it is, anyway.

8. Ryvian

Ryvian Member

Well look at the bright side, we've unintentionally gotten access to a new mechanic: "Multicast", whose triggering factor is depending on how many corpses were lying on the ground of the intended target, allowing the spell to be cast multiple times successively on a single turn!

9. Null

Null Will Mod for Digglebucks

Well the cause of the multiple corpses is simply because of the following:
    When you set a delayed trigger, it doesn't immediately trigger it, or wait for it to be triggered; It adds the delayed trigger to monsters that it targets. When corpses are below your target, the spell additionally must target them because it essentially just targets the entire tile.

The easiest way to stop this is just to add to the trigger effect affectsCorpses="0". This doesn't affect stacked monsters but the more common corpses should be fixed.

10. Ryvian

Ryvian Member

That's pretty cool, is there another way to intentionally trigger multicasts without using delays or targeting corpses?

11. Null

Null Will Mod for Digglebucks

By triggering multiple times intentionally

12. kino5

kino5 Member

Interesting. I'm learning a lot about how this game works just reading the forums. I can't wait to start looking at its files myself.

13. FaxCelestis

FaxCelestis Will Mod for Digglebucks

Yeah:

Code:
    <spell name="Variable Multicast" type="Target" icon="skills/conflux64.png" wand="0" affectsCorpses="0" >
        <anim sprite="sprites/sfx/target/target" frames="5" framerate="90" sfx="magic" />
        <effect type="trigger" spell="Aethereal Missile" percent="20" />
        </spell>

14. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Pretty much that. Or you can only take a few instances and give them varying chances to happen.

15. Ruigi

Ruigi Will Mod for Digglebucks

kino, best advice with using clockwork drill bombs is to always take a step back after you shoot one. I changed them so that if you step back after you fire one, you'll avoid the explosions that triggered on targeted corpses.

16. kino5

kino5 Member

Sounds very interesting, thanks for the tip. I don't understand entirely what you mean, though. Can I step back after firing it, but before it starts to react with the corpses? As if it knows if I made the step even though its not my turn (I understad all reactions should come before my turn comes again, correct me if I'm wrong) it lets me move anyway?

17. Yep, you can do that with Promethean magic effects too, if you're on the outermost edge of the effect. Cast, step back, watch everything burn, repeat.

18. kino5

kino5 Member

I didn't know that, thanks for the tip. Maybe I'll give it another try. I want to know if picking CK + Smithing + Tinkering is worth it. I want to be a true Clockwork Knight! :D

19. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

It's worth it just as much as taking tinkering and smithing is - if you like crafting, then you won't regret it.

20. kino5

kino5 Member

Then, no problem, going for it.