Clockwork Empires: A Bureaucrat's Guide to Colonization

Discussion in 'Clockwork Empires General' started by dbaumgart, Jul 18, 2014.

1. dbaumgart

dbaumgart Art Director Staff Member

This is the start of a mini-manual for Clockwork Empires. It discusses the UI elements in detail (though it is not quite comprehensive) as well as explaining a few important game concepts.

I shall apologize now for the rough formatting, this is a straight dump to PDF from our internal documentation system. When I get the chance, I'll fix up the layout and size the images more appropriately. Still, you should be able to see what's going on enough to get the job done.

This guide was last updated on 2014 July 18, ~REV27B build of Clockwork Empires

Not all images are from the very latest build so minor details may differ.

Welcome to the Early Access of Clockwork Empires. Gaslamp Games thanks you for your support!

This guide will assist the new player bureaucrat in figuring out how to run a colony, how to figure out what's going on and give a good go at not getting everyone killed.

... (continued in the PDF file here: http://clockworkempires.com/assets/CE_minimanual_inprogress_2014July18.pdf )

I shall edit this post to update the mini-manual when it receives major updates. As ever, feedback is much appreciated.

r_b_bergstrom likes this.
  2. Ghin

Ghin Member

A couple minor suggestions:

On Page 2, under the heading Starting The Game, Step 1. The Launcher has a section where it says the Music Volume and SFX volume sliders control their respective volumes, but as of right now they fall under the category of Currently Does Nothing.

I might also include in each heading for the various Zones (farms, stockpiles, roads) that currently, overlapping them causes Chaos and other terrible things.

3. caffeineLich

caffeineLich Member

Amen to your second point. I've found that colonies I build without stockpiles or roads (overlapping or not) take longer to crash, allowing them to harvest seemingly endless amounts of cabbage for Her Majesty.

And yet, after my record 15 day long game, I stared to place stockpiles and roads all over the place, on top of each other and whatnot, and I couldn't for the life of me get a crash. Harumph.

4. r_b_bergstrom

r_b_bergstrom Will Mod for Digglebucks

David, thank you for compiling this document. Some of this stuff was painfully opaque during pre-earliest testing. Is there an official wiki yet? If so a lot of this info could be useful over there.

*Googles it* Well, I see there is an official wiki, officially, but it officially doesn't have much on it. http://clockworkempires.gamepedia.com/Clockwork_Empires_Wiki I may have to go create an account there and see about filling some of it out a bit.
    Would it be officially okay with you guys if I cut & paste stuff from this official PDF to put on said official wiki?

5. dbaumgart

dbaumgart Art Director Staff Member

I'm going to say, without officially using the word "officially", that you can cut & paste stuff from whatever PDF you may happen to find lying around the internet.

Also: np! Going to try to keep this updated on at least a monthly basis.

r_b_bergstrom likes this.