Class ideas I'm working on...

Discussion in 'Modding' started by BladedBlades, Dec 20, 2011.

1. BladedBlades

BladedBlades Member

Taking a brief break from making lists of all 500 (what?) new items I'm working on, I thought I'd run them by the group to see if they're able to be coded as is. Thoughts? Overpowered? Underpowered? Not possible?

Valkyrie (Why should Vikings get all the fun?)
    Spot Weakness: Knowledge of where to stick pointy ends into things gives you an edge. (Perception +3, Critical +3) [Passive]
    Winged Helm: Every valkyrie needs a winged helm! Defensive boost. (+2 Crushing Resist) [Passive]
    Valhalla Rush: You move so quickly, others never see it coming and it leaves them open. (Debuffs the target's dodge and buffs your crit in addition to dealing damage.)
    Odin's Reckoning: Fear the wrath of the thunder god! (Deals 30-50 Voltaic damage to the (single) target. 35 MP.)
    Fenrir's Moon: Time to call in the big guns, and be hungry like a wolf! (Buff for three hits. Burly+15, Stubborn +8. Costs 40 MP.)

Resistant (Ever hear of the immovable object meeting the irresistable force? Well, now YOU'RE that immovable object.)
    Basic Boost: Basic pain management means you're that much stronger. (Burly+1, Nimble +1, HP +3, Block +1, Resist +1, Trap Sense +1) [Passive]
    Social Fortitude: You know how to bargain Brax down in price. (Nimble +1, Savvy +2, Trap Sense +2) [Passive]
    Physical Resistance: You've been hit enough that you just don't feel pain anymore. (HP +3, Block +2, Armor Absorb +2, Dodge +2, Life Regen +2) [Passive]
    Mental Fortitude: Your mind is a fortress, and you have resources stored up. (MP +3, Resist +2, Haywire +2, Trap Sight +1, Mana Regen +2) [Passive]
    Passive Resistance: You're invincible. Shut up. (Block +5, Armor Absorb +5, Resist +5) [Passive]

AnthroKin (You are one with the animals... perhaps a bit too much...)
    Mouse's Speed: You're able to move with the quickness of a mouse between the legs of your enemies. (Line of sight controlled teleport)
    Bear's Strength: The power of the bear smashes down those who are... uh... not bears. (+15 Crushing damage on the next attack)
    Lion's Claw: Armor? What armor? This'll hook into their armor and tear it right off! (Critical +10 on next attack)
    Rhino Charge: Big damage, bigger cooldown. (+30 Crushing Damage on next attack, 90 turn cooldown)
    Menagerie: A half-dozen animals swarm the target, dealing all kinds of nasty injuries. (40 MP, deals 7 Crushing, 7 Piercing, 7 Slashing, 7 Toxic, 7 Acidic damage, line of sight target)

Ophidimancy: Mastery of the ways of the serpent means... um... something poison-y.
    Snake Skin: Your skin is as scales. (Armor Absorb +3) [Passive]
    Snake Venom: Your weapons now are coated in a lethal poison. (Adds 3 Toxic, 1 Acidic damage to all attacks) [Passive]
    Flexible Spine: You're able to twist out of the way of the heaviest of blows. (short line of sight teleport, up to 4 squares)
    Rattler Tail: If your foes don't run at hearing the tail rattle, they deserve what is coming to them (a fear spell for 10 or so turns)
    Serpentine: Your scales harden and your poison is more lethal. (Armor Absorb +3, +3 Toxic, 3 Acidic, 2 Asphyxative damage) [Passive]
    Vorpal Venom: You're able to spit poison at your enemies that reduces them to blobs of... McBlobbies or something. (37 MP, 30 toxic damage, line of sight target, single target)

Minotaurian (Mazes are your home... tracking down the head evil honcho should be a snap!)
    Brute Strength: Rar! You have muscles on top of muscles. (Burly +5, Melee Power +3, Magic Power -3) [Passive]
    Horns: You've grown a pair of horns on your head you can use to gore others. (+15 Piercing Damage on next attack)
    Terrifying Roar: If your enemies are smart, they'll run when they hear you coming. (Fear spell, affects all in sight)
    Slaybreaker: Hits all enemies in a two square radius of you. (+10 Crushing Damage, 50 turn cooldown)
    MOO Attack: You've learned to use your roar to sonic proportions. (Deals 15 Piercing damage to all in sight)
    Razor Axe: You. Die. Now. Not later. Not next week. Now. (+60 slashing damage to next attack, 75 turn cooldown)

2. Null

Null Will Mod for Digglebucks

I'm going to say that basically everything is a bit overpowered. You need to tone down the numbers in general, not necessarily every one but it just seems overexaggerated.
    Resistant especially is insanely strong for all archetypes. The first skill gives several stats, which are all rather useful. Then it gives you savvy and trap sight more, then it gives you tons of health and regen. Then it gives you amazing magic stats with 2 mana regen, haywire, mp (and more trap sight). Then it gives you 5 permanent armor, block and resist. Which is insane.
    Ophidomancy gives +3 armor at L1, which is essentially the last skill of master of arms, at level 1, with no investment. Basically this makes you immune to most of the damage on floor one regardless of archetype. Then you boost all your attacks by a good bit of dmage. Then it gives you a blink (which btw it's very difficult to impossible to restrict range like that). Then Serpentine gives masses of damage and armor. Then tons of single target damage ... again.

Without going into much more: basically all your values are way too high, you have too many stats, all your skills are basically: high damage to a single target as a spell/attack.

3. BladedBlades

BladedBlades Member

So single points go a long long way... good to know. So it would be better to restrict it to no more than three points at the highest levels and cut the damage by two thirds or more on the others. Part of the overpowered comes from some of the monsters I'm working on, but I can tone those down too.

4. Null

Generally unless you make a total conversion mod, don't ever change the balance of the original to fit yours, change yours instead.

5. BladedBlades

BladedBlades Member

Ok, for comparison, my highest shield looks like
    <item name="Shield of the Black Dragon" iconFile="items/(Icon coming later)" >
    <price amount="6285"/>
    <armour level="8" type="Shield"/>
    <secondarybuff id="10" amount="8"/>
    <secondarybuff id="11" amount="9"/>
    <secondarybuff id="7" amount="8"/>
    <resistbuff voltaic="3"/>
    <resistbuff conflagratory="3"/>
    <resistbuff hyperborean="3"/>
    <resistbuff righteous="3"/>
    <resistbuff necromantic="3"/>
    <description text="Inpenetrable to all but stupidity."/>
    </item>

Definitely way too high then... how much should I drop it by (this is a craftable, not an artifact)?

6. ChristmasAsen

ChristmasAsen Member

It is a Null said, everything is waay too powerful and they could use some variety..
    Minotaurian interest me the most, do you plan on making it like Unarmed Combat?

7. BladedBlades

BladedBlades Member

I actually haven't played with unarmed combat (I keep the same skill tree for all my games and Unarmed ain't in it). So I don't really know. I just wanted Minotaurian to be more of a brute-force setup, since that's what I do usually.

8. Null

I'm going to suggest you play more games first with different skills before you try to mod this, it may help it be more balanced.

9. BladedBlades

BladedBlades Member

Or pay someone to do all the work for me, so we -know- it's balanced. I'm nothing but a brute-force warrior type (master of arms, shield bearer, smithing, swords, berserk rage, arftul dodger (for knightly leap) and archeology or archery).

10. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

^^ I'll take you up on this offer. :p

11. Officefanguy

Officefanguy Member

If you're looking for play-testers, count me in. Especially if there's money. :O

12. A general tip, especially for Minotaurian: you can't balance a big bonus by penalizing something the player doesn't care about. You're just giving away free extra stats and making Viking Magic look even less appealing than it already is for the erstwhile behorned warrior. Consider penalizing something warriors actually care about, or making the bonus closer in strength to other level 1 skills.