changing resolutions crashes the game, Windows 7 x64

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by mmmyeahright, Jul 13, 2011.

1. mmmyeahright

mmmyeahright Member

pretty much says it all. Defaults to 1024x768

2. Greg72

Greg72 Member

i'm playing on win 7 x64, having no issues running 1920x1200

3. ffschooler

ffschooler Member

I am also having this problem. Game otherwise plays fine. Win7 32 bit. If it can't be fixed can we at least get a configuration file or something to change the resolution in?

4. mmmyeahright

mmmyeahright Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKTKCHPWe8c

I made a video about it. It's private to anyone that has a link to it. Try looking at it.

5. moniker

moniker Member

I've got this too: Vista 32bit

6. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

Okay. Can somebody send me a .dmp file that reproduces this? Also, what size are your screens? Are you all running on netbooks or something?

Exile likes this.
  7. mmmyeahright

mmmyeahright Member

It does not produce a dump file in:C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\dungeons of dredmor

The size of my screen 1024 x 768. It is *not* a netbook! :| ...

8. mmmyeahright

mmmyeahright Member

I think I may have found the problem. If there are no video modes available beyond 1024 x 768, the program hangs. I am using a KVM switch to use four computers at the same time. When you do this, Windows 7 does not recognize all of the video modes until you click "detect" in the resolution list.

If I would hazard a guess, I would say your launcher logic is expecting more video modes than are there or is perhaps expecting to see a video mode that does not actually exist. For example, in the video, if you click on the drop-down arrow, it might be loading null because there are no other options available to be seen!

9. ruddyadam

ruddyadam Member

The game loads fine if I don't try to change the resolution (set at 1024x768), but if I click on the resolution box, it crashes -- same steps as shown in the video above. I am on a netbook, though. WinXP, sp3, 1.6ghz, 2GB ram, dx9.0c, 945GME integrated graphics, Steam. The description on the Steam page said my resolution (1024x600) was supported, though.

10. ffschooler

ffschooler Member

Bumping this to say that the game was updated and this still hasn't been fixed. :(

11. Zarat

Zarat Member

Got that problem too, Win7 64 bit with default resolution 1366x768 (which I don't like)
    Clicking the arrow to change the resolution crashes the launcher.

I'm a programmer myself, so I tried to attach a debugger - which does not work: at the time the program crashes and the debugger attaches it has already exited! This explains why we don't get a dmp or anything. The only thing in the debugger output is
    The program '[7004] Dungeons of Dredmor.exe: Native' has exited with code -1073741811 (0xc000000d).

This seems to be a HResult error code.

So basically the application is forced to shutdown with an error code by something which isn't visible to a debugger.

[edit] Removed the stack trace. After some more research I figured out that this was only the stack trace of the 64 bit emulation code and thus pretty useless. There is a separate 32 bit stack trace which I didn't dump.

12. satoru

satoru Member

Try looking in c:\program files\Steam\steamapps\common\dungeons of dredmor\ for a .dmp file if possible.

I wonder if its an Intel GME problem? Works on my Win7 64 bit box at home with an Nvidia 460GT. But at work the resolution thing fails with an Intel 950

13. ffschooler

ffschooler Member

satoru that sounds realistic as my bro has an AMD card on his and works fine, and mine fails (it's intel 950 too), and a good portion of the people having this problem are running netbooks, which traditionally run on intel graphics chipsets.

14. tomgezen

tomgezen Member

I have nvidia 460GT and win7 x64 and mine is crashing randomly with no error in windowed mode. I havene't run it in anything else but it's crashed on average once every 3 minutes.

15. Nicholas

Fixed! will be in the latest build. -- N.

16. ruddyadam

ruddyadam Member

Thanks Nicholas! When is the patch going to be released?

17. Nicholas

It's up now on Steam. If it's still crashing, you might want to just validate your local content cache or whatever it is.

18. Zarat

Zarat Member

Cool, it works! I didn't expect it being fixed so fast :confused:

BTW. whatever it was, it wasn't related to an Intel GPU, since I have an AMD and had the problem too.

@tomgezen - I think you have a different bug, the one described here was always crashing once you try to change the resolution, before you even enter the game (so windowed mode or not didn't matter). Of course your crash might be fixed too, who knows ;-)

19. ruddyadam

ruddyadam Member

Awesome! Fixed on my end! Thanks Nicholas!