Catch me up on new mechanics!

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by Mr_Strange, Jul 27, 2013.

1. Mr_Strange

Mr_Strange Member

Hello folks - I haven't been on the forums here for a while (Busy with my own project eh?) but I recently started a few more DoD runs, and I notice a few things have changed. Anyone want to give me a rundown of the last two patches or so?

Things I think I see:

1 - Polymorph (diggle, presumably others) effects no longer remove passive skill bonuses! My sword bonuses don't go away when I'm in diggle form!

2 - Sadly, I don't see any healing in the werediggle line...

3 - Shield Bearer now cares if I'm holding a shield! (Will the bonuses double with two...?)

Any other big changes, or small changes that matter?

Daynab likes this.
  2. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

I guess the most important one would be the combat rolls being switched around, but it's been a while that it made it in game so I'm not sure if you played since.

IIRC, it used to be that critical was king, because they couldn't be dodged or blocked or countered.

Bear with me since it's been a long time but I believe it goes roll for dodge > roll for crit, if crit is blocked then it does normal damage, if normal is blocked then no damage. And then counter, I think.

It's a small change but makes the game way more balanced in the later levels.

3. Turbo164

Turbo164 Member

The crit changes were from the 1.0.10 patch last April.

• MECHANICS: Changes to combat ordering. The new combat ordering is as follows:
      • If you dodge, no damage.
      • If you crit, and your opponent counters, no damage. If you crit and your opponent blocks, normal damage. Else, critical attack.
      • If your opponent counters, counterattack!
      • If your opponent blocks, 1/2 damage.
      • Else, normal damage.
      • At present, this only affects melee combat.

SkyMuffin likes this.
  4. Bohandas

Bohandas Member

The diggles dig now, though I'm still not sure of the exact mechanics of how they dig (ie. can they move while underground? if so, can they move past obstructions? etc.)

5. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

Yes, they can move underground, and can, in fact, pop up behind you blocking your escape. However their digging can be blocked by various obstacles.

6. Bohandas

Bohandas Member

Do they move faster or slower when underground, or at the same rate?

7. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Member

IIRC this change also eliminated the dreaded counter-crit-crit, didnt it? or is it still around, but weaker now/less frequent due to the changes in ordering?

Kazeto likes this.
  8. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

No clue, sorry. They do seem to disappear and pop up a few turns later, or sometimes immediately elsewhere, but how can I tell for sure if a diggle is the same one as I saw disappear in the first place? I'd need some kind of tagging system like they use in the wild to track animal migrations.

Kazeto likes this.