Cataclysm: A post-apocalyptic roguelike

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by GrossorMD, Dec 1, 2011.

1. GrossorMD

GrossorMD Member

Cataclysm is a survival(1) roguelike which takes place in a New England wrecked by some indefinite2 apocalyptic event. It doesn't have any graphics (for now), but it's already quite playable, It's quite addictive, once you get into it, and in a very active development, so new stuff is added constantly, and features are tweaked.

You can find the instructions to install the game here: http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php

*1 aka: on the lines of unreal world: the primary objective is not to go down into a particular dungeon and kill the Final Boss of the internet, but to explore the world and keep on breathing, by gathering food, crafting weapons, etc...

*2 Indefinite as of now. It's shaping itself as a kitchen sink which mixes Lovecraft, Half Life, and several B movie plots (Dawn of the Dead, Day of the Triffids, Humanity in Peril), with some Deus Ex thrown in for good measure.

2. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

This looks pretty cool! The forum looks active so I wonder why I hadn't heard of it before. Since you said no graphics (yet) there ARE plans for a tileset, right? I'm one of those noobs that can't handle the awesome that is ASCII.

3. GrossorMD

GrossorMD Member

there were some tileset mod projects, but tbh I've not followed them too closely. I've been playing df for years, and I stopped seeing the ascii long ago.
    There IS a thread in the mod forums about that, so you might want to ask there first

4. Vykk Draygo

Vykk Draygo Member

I downloaded it, but haven't loaded it up yet. Looks promising though. Definitely going to point my brother toward it, as this is right up his alley.

I too have a hard time with ASCII, but that is mostly because I am red/green colorblind. Lucky for me, the awesome DF community supplied some colorblind friendly colors on the wiki. Made a huge difference in playability. :)

5. GrossorMD

GrossorMD Member

There has been a new release, with some additions, among them the first tentative NPC (as opposed to just monsters), if anyone is interested

6. Archiez

Archiez Member

this game is great i really like it, sadly it shutdown on me when i was playing it and i got a house by a river and next to a forest next to 3 other houses and not to far from a nerby town, in the house was a .44 magnum with 30 bullets later i found a katana... idk if this is a normal start but with my 15 dex and 14 per it was god-ly lol well anyway it felt like a awesome rouge like with a nice zombie mix, the other 3 times i played i would go into a house to scavenge but forget that i broke the window to get in and 2 sec later zombies are there this game has alot of nice features i really do like it