Can anyone tell me if this is a core game item?

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by Lorrelian, Apr 13, 2012.

1. mining

mining Member

To be honest, I didn't mind the bugs in Skyrim/Oblivion - the game is massive, and they commit to bugfixes.

As a developer for a relatively small mod, I can tell you how hard it is to keep everything working when one small change to a script (!!!) not even core game files can cause random crashes and other, seemingly unrelated scripts to fail.

2. Lorrelian

Lorrelian Member

Wow, guys. I just wanted to know if I could talk about that itme with friends who play the game but don't use mods.

Y'all are like, "DLC AND THE FURTHER DEATH OF GAMING'S INNOCENCE!"

The internet at its best.

Essence and Kazeto like this.
  3. Marak

Marak Member

Forum threads going off on tangents?

Madness!

Edit: it's kind of hard to explain a joke item mocking Bad DLC without harping on Bad DLC yourself.

4. Lorrelian

Lorrelian Member

Since I don't play many games with DLC to start with, it's hard for me to appreciate one way or another.

5. Marak

Marak Member

Well hell, I played a total of about 10 minutes of Oblivion myself. I guess my original point is that, in many circles, the Horse Armor became a beacon, if you will, of Bad DLC and Ways Game Companies Try To Exploit You. People would point to it during an argument - "that's as bad as Horse Armor!"

6. Lorrelian

Lorrelian Member

It's my new goal in life to find reasons to say this at least twice a day. Not sure why. The phrase just strikes my as funny in a ludicrous sort of way.

7. Marak

Marak Member

I can see it now.

*Lorrelian takes a bite of some slightly burnt food*

That's as bad as Horse Armor!

edit: I also picture you shaking your fist as you say it.

8. Lorrelian

Lorrelian Member

I concur. Fist shaking is a must.

Marak likes this.
  9. It does beg questions as to when he ate the horse armor for comparison, though.

10. Lorrelian

Lorrelian Member

I'd explain, but the Vegans... they have eyes everywhere.

Essence likes this.
  11. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

I realize I'm late to the game here, but two quick thoughts.

1) I got DoD from RLSLOG and played it for about a dozen hours before I bought it. I never buy any digital anything without playtesting it first, period. Once I realized I liked it (around the time of this thread), I bought one copy through Steam and one through Desura, along with a total of 5 copies of the expansion through Steam and one through Desura (gave most of them away.) I wouldn't ever have paid for it at all (or kept playing it, honestly) except that the devs are participatory and awesome, and I know from lots of previous experience that that's the single most important thing any game can have. (Looking at you, Terraria.)

2) DLC isn't the problem. Crappy, expensive DLC is the problem. RotDG was neither. I have a pretty good line on the fact that the next Dredmor DLC will be both cheaper and less amazing, but still pretty damn cool. :)

OmniNegro, Kazeto and Marak like this.
  12. Lorrelian

Lorrelian Member

It has new skill lines. Clockwork skill lines, from the looks of it. How can it not be cool?

13. Marak

Marak Member

I don't think anyone is ever going to group "Realm of the Diggle Gods" in the same category with "Oblivion Horse Armor DLC". And if they do, you can shoot them down so hard because they are nothing alike.

14. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

I carefully avoided saying exactly what you said in part one. But I hear you, nod and wink too. :)

Too many times a shitty demo worked fine, but the full purchased version did not. I got tired of being burned. I am a dirty rotten thief. But I and many others like me pay well for well made games. On the Wikipedia article of DRM, under criticism, Microsoft is noted as saying they want people to steal their software because people that use it by any means will likely buy it. I applaud them for that.

Here is the link:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digit...racy_is_undesirable_to_digital_rights_holders

Now I will shut up before someone kicks my door in and shoots me dead as a Diggle.

15. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

I've refrained from closing this thread since this discussion was unavoidable due to the item, but I'm pretty sure we've gone around the subject at this point.

Might be a good discussion to have in its own thread eventually though if you guys are interested (but I'd refrain from starting one right away since it would just end up repeating what was said here.)

OmniNegro likes this.