OS X Snow Leopard Broken Steam Achievements

Discussion in 'Bugs' started by r_b_bergstrom, Jan 2, 2012.

1. r_b_bergstrom

r_b_bergstrom Will Mod for Digglebucks

I just defeated Lord Dredmor on Dwarvish Moderation with Realm of the Diggle Gods. After exchanging a few high-fives with my wife/copilot, I exited out of the program, and was surprised to see that my Steam Achievements count didn't increase.

The following achievements have not triggered, despite me meeting their requirements with this character:
    • Dread and Buried (should Dead Dred be activated as well?)
    • Soylent green is... soy, actually
    • Tom mavelo riddle award
    • Stay out of my head

In addition, though I've played both genders in various games, "Playing for both teams" hasn't triggered.

I suspect that my counts for "Krong is a fickle god" and "The critic" are not accurate either, as I'd swear I've been cursed a lot more than 20 times and have definitely crushed every statue I've seen.

I'm on a mac (OS X 10.6.8) using the steam version. I applied the patch from the gaslamp games blog several days ago. (Don't think the patch is the problem, as I should have at least had "playing for both teams" long before I installed it.)

And lastly, while this isn't a bug, I'm really surprised there's no steam achievement for finding and praying to the Diggle God of Secrets. Or maybe there is one, and I just can't see it because of the penalty he gave my visual sight radius. :)

2. Ali Iqtidar

Ali Iqtidar Member

Do you mean the hotfix from December 28 (I think)? I downloaded it directly from the blog myself, as I needed it to circumvent the crash/freeze-while-loading issue. It let me continue my game just fine, but I think it disabled all the achievements. I tested it by crafting a piece of armour (I hadn't gotten that achievement yet at that point, surprisingly). The achievement didn't unlock, so I tried it again after temporarily undoing the hotfix (by copying the old file back), after which the achievement unlocked just fine.

I got the game from Steam too, so I assume that this will be resolved once the fix is released as a proper patch - I don't think that's happened yet (since I don't see any update announcements, and more importantly, the vanilla version of the game still won't load my saves while the hotfix has no problems doing so). Presumably the achievements thing has to do with the Steam achievements being tied to a particular version of the game, while the hotfix is, as of yet, only an unofficial update.

That said, there are other achievements that are broken for other reasons - a lot of the ones related to the expansion seem not to be working (including Playing for Both Teams), and the ones involving counters will periodically reset the count (bringing it back to zero), making it a real pain for people working on things like the achievements for breaking Dredmor statues or being cursed by Krong. Apparently you can get around this by trying to complete the requirements for those achievements in one sitting - personally, though, I'm just going to wait till all of this is properly fixed before I go achievement-hunting.