Broadside is not a capstone skill

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Essence, Dec 16, 2011.

1. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

Perhaps it's the precedent set with Burglary, Weapon skills, etc, but I feel like the last skill in a chain should be something really quite special and cool, and Broadside...just isn't. It's like a thrown attack that has a 3/4 chance of letting you repeat the same attack a bit later. It's not even a particularly special thrown weapon -- DL3 material.

IIWM, I'd change it to Fullisade, and give it code like this:

Code:
    <spell name="Drop Bombs 1" type="template" templateID="20">
      <effect type="trigger" percent="80" name="Grenade Hit" />
      <spawnitematlocation percentage="30" name="Solid Shot"/>
    </spell>

<spell name="Drop Bombs 2" type="template" templateID="21">
        <effect type="trigger" percent="60" name="Iron Bomb Blast" />
        <spawnitematlocation percentage="50" name="Solid Shot"/>
    </spell>

<spell name="Drop Bombs 3" type="template" templateID="22">
      <effect type="trigger" percent="40" name="Frag Bomb Blast" />
      <spawnitematlocation percentage="70" name="Solid Shot"/> 
    </spell>

<spell name="Fullisade" downtime="384" type="self" icon="placeholder" wand="0">
    <effect type="trigger" spell="Drops Bombs 1" amount="0" />
      <effect type="trigger" spell="Drop Bombs 2" amount="0" />
      <effect type="trigger" spell="Drop Bombs 3" amount="0" />
      <description text="You throw bombs on it.  Throw bombs on it. Smash something. Just mosh for me. Hey, yeah."/>
      </spell>

That's what a capstone skill should look like.

2. Null

Null Will Mod for Digglebucks

Btw most of that xml is completely wrong. Like effect type="spawnitematlocation" instead of spawnitematlocation tag, percent not percentage, itemName instead of name, on the trigger also spell instead of name. Just saying.

3. Godwin

Godwin Member

Fullisade? Ya mean Fusillade per chance? Also: haven't tried it yet, can't comment.

4. Null

Search fullisade. It's a word

5. Godwin

Godwin Member

Hm, okay, well not according to the dictionaries I can find.

6. Essence

Well, I did hack together the XML off-hand, so yeah...I use the Opera XML checker a lot. :p

And Godwin is right. I thought fullisade was the proper term, but Google disagrees:
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=define:+fullisade

Godwin likes this.
  7. My suggestion for the piracy tree in general.

Plunder- fix it.
    Level 2 should be the black spot, which should be changed somewhat to a damage skill that takes effect a number of turns after its used
    Level 3 should be the mists
    Level 4 should be broadside, but it should be a straight-line shot, heavily damaging all monsters in a line. Should also knockback I think.
    Level 5 should be swashbuckling

8. Null

Oh wow never noticed I got redirected when I searched for it.

9. Got to play around with this some more until I TPed into a batch of arch diggles , changed my mind a little bit

Plunder still needs to be fixed
    Broadside should be the lvl 2 skill. It's useful, it also works as a bomb in terms of moving things, but it's not OP.
    Swashbuckling isn't as good as people think it is on lower levels.
    Mists is better at lower levels
    Black Spot is very useful for bosses/low level

Wi§p likes this.
  10. blob

blob Member

That looks kinda nice yeah. I was disagreeing with your previous list, putting swash at the very end and removing all its purpose. But this one looks pretty smooth. Why is Mist better at lower levels though ? Critics go through dodge as well.

11. BadBeat

BadBeat Member

Yeah, now I've got a pirate down the lvl 10 and counting, Swashbuckling defenitly isn't as good as in the early levels. It goes from an "Immortality" skill to one that's merely pretty useful.

12. Lucentdepths

Lucentdepths Member

Well it IS hard to dodge a critic.

13. tcjsavannah

tcjsavannah Member

[​IMG]

Like this one?

Essence likes this.
  14. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

What's wrong with PLunder? I seem to be gaining a lot of money randomly, more than I did before without Plunder.
    So, what broke?

15. Null

Everything. It's literally not doing anything at all. It doesn't matter how much gold you have, I can say quite securely that it does nothing.

16. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

Ah. Well, okay then. So, the message it gives randomly, Plunder, and the fact that sometimes hitting my enemies when that Plunder message shows up gives me money, it's not working?

Okay. It's just, from what I noticed, when I played a Pirate, with Plunder, I obtained a lot more money than any character ever before or since then.
    So I haven't noticed anything off with the skill. I thought when the Plunder message shows up, it gives you extra money.
    If that's not what it does, than yes, it's broken.

I just don't think it's fair to jump down my throat because I don't know what it's supposed to do besides apparently give me gold.

17. Essence

David, if you can provide a screenshot of your gold values before and after a Plunder attack and show that it's working, I'd love you for it. Until then, no offense, Null has proven to be a very meticulous and thorough person and seeing as I'm too lazy to test it myself at the moment, I trust Null.

18. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

Okay...I'll try. I just don't know what Plunder does, all I know, is that I do gain gold randomly while attacking enemies. Especially when the Plunder message shows up.
    If it is 100% broken, I'd like to know where the code for it is, and how it works to understand why it doesn't work.
    I can only think something weird is going on on my end, because my first time as a pirate, with no points in the skill tree but the first, I had a massive improvement in gold by the time the third floor came around. I will load up a character with Piracy soon, and test it.

Okay, so far, my tests have been a bit weird. I noticed it increasing from 174 to 184 after killing several enemies, despite none of them dropping gold until the last diggle gave me the Plunder message.
    This is all on the first floor.
    I think what's happening is it works randomly, like very very rarely. :) Or, and this is a possibility, even though it's a small chance, that it works more on later floors because the monsters there actually drop more gold.
    I will keep testing until I notice a change.

19. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

It's simply supposed to drop a pile of gold (or a bigger one), afaik. So test and see if there's a pile of gold every single time you kill an enemy that you procced plunder on for a while. I'll ask the devs at some point if it was fixed or not.

20. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

OH! If that's what it does, than yes, it works 100%. I guess it was fixed.
    That also explains why that group of four things I killed, the final one, a diggle, died with the Plunder thing, and I netted 10 gold from killing it.

Glad to know it works now. Because, yes, it does increase gold piles for me. Also, by themselves, to be honest, I've found several areas on the second floor that net me a good amount of gold in a pile, the 9 gold pile rooms, and it's a lot more than I normally find on that floor in a pile.
    The game apparently wanted to punish me for abandoning my crossbower, by making it take all the way to a shop on the second floor before I got any crossbow. :)
    By the way, Max Tinkerer and Archaelogy + a few in Burglary = 13 trap affinity. :) Any trap can be taken with that.