Brainstorming New FaxPax Skills: Haunted, Implacable Man, Brofistery

Discussion in 'Modding' started by FaxCelestis, Apr 24, 2012.

1. FaxCelestis

FaxCelestis Will Mod for Digglebucks

IDEA THE FIRST: Haunted
    You are haunted by the ghosts of your ancestors. They give you guidance, but they sometimes demand a terrible price.

skillDB.xml entries:
    Code:
    <skill name="Haunted" id="212" type="warrior" description="You are haunted by spectres of those slain in the dungeons. Sometimes they help you.">
       <art icon="skills/placeholder64.png"/>
       </skill>

<ability name="Haunted" icon="skills/placeholder64.png" skill="212" startSkill="1">
       <description text="You are haunted by spectres of those slain in the dungeons. Sometimes they help you."/>
       </ability>

<HauntedSkills>
    <ability name="Possessed" icon="skills/placeholder64.png" skill="212" level="0" >
        <description text=" " />
        <targetKillBuff name="Possession's Gift" />
        </ability>

<ability name="Feed on Fear" icon="skills/placeholder64.png" skill="212" level="1" >
        <description text=" " />
        <spell name="Feed on Fear" />
        </ability>

<ability name="Gaze of Malevolence" icon="skills/placeholder64.png" skill="212" level="2" >
        <description text=" " />
        <spell name="Gaze of Malevolence" />
        </ability>

<ability name="Ghostarmor" icon="skills/placeholder64.png" skill="212" level="3" >
        <description text=" " />
        <spell name="Ghostarmor" />
        </ability>

<ability name="Wail of the Banshee" icon="skills/placeholder64.png" skill="212" level="4" >
        <description text=" " />
        <spell name="Wail of the Banshee" />
        </ability>

<ability name="The Haunting" icon="skills/placeholder64.png" skill="212" level="5" >
        <description text=" " />
        <spell name="The Haunting" />
        </ability>

</HauntedSkills>
    spellDB.xml entries:
    Code:
    <spell name="Possession's Gift" icon="sprites/skills/wraith/skill_avenge_your_father32.png" type="self" >
        <description text=" " />
        <buff useTimer="0" self="1" stackable="1" resistable="0" stacksize="10" icon="skills/skill_avenge_your_father.png" smallicon="sprites/skills/wraith/skill_avenge_your_father32.png" >
            <primarybuff id="0" amount="1"/> <!-- Burliness -->
            <secondarybuff id="13" amount="1" /> <!-- hp regen -->
            <secondarybuff id="14" amount="1" /> <!-- mp regen -->
            </buff>
        <anim sprite="sprites/sfx/curse_hit/curse_hit" frames="6" firstframe="0" framerate="80" />
        </spell>

<spell name="Possession's Price" icon="skills/bloody32.png" type="self" >
        <description text=" " />
        <buff useTimer="1" time="50" self="1" stackable="1" stacksize="10" resistable="0" removable="0" icon="skills/bloody64.png" smallicon="skills/bloody32.png" >
            <primarybuff id="0" amount="-3"/> <!-- Burliness -->
            <secondarybuff id="13" amount="-3" /> <!-- hp regen -->
            <secondarybuff id="14" amount="-3" /> <!-- mp regen -->
            <secondarybuff id="11" amount="-3" /> <!-- mp regen -->
            <resistbuff necromantic="-1" righteous="-1" />
            </buff>
        </spell>

<spell name="Malevolent Drain" icon="skills/vital_siphon32.png" type="target" >
        <description text=" " />
        <effect type="drain" necromantic="3" necromanticF="0.3" secondaryScale="11" />
        <anim sprite="sprites/sfx/curse_hit/curse_hit" frames="6" firstframe="0" framerate="80" />
        </spell>

<spell name="Feed on Fear" icon="skills/spells/animate_robot32.png" type="template" templateID="08" >
        <description text=" " />
        <effect type="removebuffbyname" name="Possession's Gift" amount="1" />
        <effect type="confuse" amount="5" />
        <effect type="dot" amount="5" spell="Fear Drain" />
        <effect type="trigger" spell="Possession's Price" percent="10" />
        </spell>

<spell name="Malevolent Drain" icon="skills/vital_siphon32.png" type="template" templateID="21" >
        <description text=" " />
        <effect type="drain" necromantic="3" necromanticF="0.3" secondaryScale="11" />
        </spell>

<spell name="Gaze of Malevolence" icon="skills/vital_siphon32.png" type="self" >
        <description text=" " />
        <effect type="dot" amount="6" spell="Malevolent Drain" />
        <effect type="trigger" spell="Possession's Price" percent="10" />
        </spell>

<spell name="Ghostarmor" icon="skills/body_paint32.png" type="self" >
        <description text=" " />
        <buff useTimer="0" brittle="10" self="1" resistable="0" icon="skills/body_paint64.png" smallicon="skills/body_paint32.png" >
            <primarybuff id="3" amount="5"/> <!-- cad -->
            <secondarybuff id="11" amount="10" /> <!-- resist -->
            <secondarybuff id="22" amount="15" /> <!-- reflect -->
            <secondarybuff id="17" amount="1" /> <!-- trapsight -->
            <secondarybuff id="18" amount="1" /> <!-- sight -->
            <resistbuff aethereal="5" conflagratory="2" hyperborean="2" righteous="-3" existential="5" />
            </buff>
        <anim sprites="sprites/sfx/target/target" frames="5" framerate="90" sfx="cursed" />
        <effect type="trigger" spell="Possession's Price" percent="25" />
        </spell>

<spell name="Wail of the Banshee A" type="template" templateID="11" icon="skills/placeholder64.png" >
        <effect type="damage" aethereal="5" necromantic="5" aetherealF="0.3" necromanticF="0.3" secondaryScale="11" />
        <anim sprites="sprites/sfx/target/target" frames="5" framerate="90" sfx="cursed" />
        </spell>

<spell name="Wail of the Banshee B" type="template" templateID="21" icon="skills/placeholder64.png" >
        <effect type="damage" aethereal="5" necromantic="5" aetherealF="0.3" necromanticF="0.3" secondaryScale="11" />
        </spell>

<spell name="Wail of the Banshee C" type="template" templateID="22" icon="skills/placeholder64.png" >
        </spell>

<spell name="Wail of the Banshee" icon="skills/placeholder32.png" type="target" >
        <description text=" " />
        <effect type="trigger" spell="Wail of the Banshee A" percent="25" />
        <effect type="trigger" spell="Wail of the Banshee A" percent="25" />
        <effect type="trigger" spell="Wail of the Banshee B" percent="25" />
        <effect type="trigger" spell="Wail of the Banshee B" percent="25" />
        <effect type="trigger" spell="Wail of the Banshee C" percent="25" />
        <effect type="trigger" spell="Wail of the Banshee C" percent="25" />
        <effect type="trigger" spell="Possession's Price" percent="20" />
        </spell>

<!-- I HAVE SOMETHING FOR THE HAUNTING, BUT IT IS A GIANT MESS. SUFFICIENT TO SAY, IT HITS RANDOMLY OVER A LARGE AREA. IF YOU'VE PLAYED FFT, IMAGINE IT SORT OF LIKE THE HOLY BRACELET OR ANY OF RAFA OR MALAK'S ABILITIES, EXCEPT LESS SHITTY -->

OmniNegro likes this.
  2. FaxCelestis

IDEA THE SECOND: Implacable Man
    You are the tankiest tank that ever did tank.

skillDB.xml entries:
    Code:
    <skill name="Implacable Man" id="213" type="warrior" description="You are so much like a rock that you could star in a Chevy commercial.">
       <art icon="skills/placeholder64.png"/>
       <loadout type="armour" subtype="Rough Bronze Aspis" always="1" amount="1"/>
       </skill>

<ability name="Implacable Man" icon="skills/placeholder64.png" skill="213" startSkill="1">
       <description text="You are so much like a rock that you could star in a Chevy commercial."/>
       </ability>

<ImplacableSkills>
    <ability name="Implacable" icon="skills/placeholder64.png" skill="213" level="0" >
        <description text=" " />
        <primarybuff id="4" amount="2" /> <!-- stubborn -->
        <secondarybuff id="11" amount="4" /> <!-- resist -->
        <secondarybuff id="22" amount="4" /> <!-- reflect -->
        <secondarybuff id="0" amount="1" /> <!-- HP -->
        </ability>

<ability name="Unshakable" icon="skills/placeholder64.png" skill="213" level="1" >
        <description text=" " />
        <secondarybuff id="0" amount="3" /> <!-- HP -->
        </ability>

<ability name="Relentless" icon="skills/placeholder64.png" skill="213" level="2" >
        <description text=" " />
        <secondarybuff id="0" amount="5" /> <!-- HP -->
        </ability>

<ability name="Undaunted" icon="skills/placeholder64.png" skill="213" level="3" >
        <description text=" " />
        <secondarybuff id="7" amount="5" /> <!-- block -->
        <secondarybuff id="0" amount="7" /> <!-- HP -->
        </ability>

<ability name="Tenacious" icon="skills/placeholder64.png" skill="213" level="4" >
        <description text=" " />
        <secondarybuff id="10" amount="5" /> <!-- armor -->
        <secondarybuff id="0" amount="9" /> <!-- HP -->
        </ability>

<ability name="Adamantine" icon="skills/placeholder64.png" skill="213" level="5" >
        <description text=" " />
        <secondarybuff id="11" amount="5" /> <!-- resist -->
        <secondarybuff id="22" amount="5" /> <!-- reflect -->
        <secondarybuff id="0" amount="11" /> <!-- HP -->
        <resistbuff acidic="2" aethereal="1" asphyxiative="1" conflagratory="2" existential="1" hyperborean="2" necromantic="1" piercing="1" putrefying="1" righteous="1" toxic="2" transmutative="1" voltaic="2" />
        </ability>
    </ImplacableSkills>

spellDB.xml entries:
    None

IDEA THE THIRD: Brofistery
    Defeat your enemies with the mighty power of your brofists. Use the broforce; summon Broseidon, King of the Brocean; run over your opponets using mighty brodozer style; generally be broductive.

I have no actual code for this yet.

IDEARZ?

OmniNegro likes this.
  3. J-Factor

J-Factor Member

Haunted's "kill buffs as a resource" idea is interesting, but the buff itself should not give such significant stat bonuses. With no points invested you get a permanent :burliness:10 :life_regen:10 :mana_regen:10.

4. Ruigi

Ruigi Will Mod for Digglebucks

*mumbles*

raw stat bonuses are less interesting than onhit effects and other triggered abilities.

5. FaxCelestis

True. I could cut it back to something like 1:dodge:. I also want to figure a way to make it do burnout, so that if you don't have a buff to burn, you get backlash.

They are. Implacable Man doesn't care: he's implacable.

AllurlewtsRbelongtome likes this.
  6. Ruigi

Ruigi Will Mod for Digglebucks

I think it would be cooler if he had onhit attacks that added bonus damage that scaled with armor rating.

or an oncrit effect that used an attack="1" spell that was an anchored template 30 (massive crits)

7. Even though I dig glass cannons builds with permadeath on as much as the next person crazy enough to actually play a glass cannon with permadeath on, I am overly fond of playstyles that revolve around the simple fact that you simply cannot die.

8. Lorrelian

Lorrelian Member

Implacable Man should contain a reference to Max Damage. Maybe a skill level that gives weak permanent buffs over time, but has a 1% chance to put you to sleep for a turn, removing all the buffs? At the least, it would make it more interesting.

9. r_b_bergstrom

r_b_bergstrom Will Mod for Digglebucks

Brofistery sounds hilarious. I don't really know what it does, but I already want to play it.

Edit #1: Haunted looks cool, but really needs top-notch flavor text to carry it, and that should extend to the name. Just calling it haunted would be like just calling Necronomiconomics "Eldritch Necromancy". It'll do if nothing better comes to you, but the skill has serious potential to become a favorite if you can knock it over the fences in the flavor department.

Edit #2: I'm liking the variable effectiveness of Wail of the Banshee. That's pretty neat.

Edit #3: Having read it more thoroughly, I feel even more strongly about what I said in Edit #1. If you can get the flavor really cranked, it's going to be loads of fun. If you can do so in a way that makes it grokkable about what the buffs represent (like why ghost armour gives sight bonuses, and why posession's gift triggers on kills and is an expendible resource), it'll be even better.

So Brofistery and Haunted sound awesome to me.

Edit #4: Implacable man hasn't caught my fancy yet.

It strikes me as filler. It doesn't combo, it doesn't do anything exciting or new, it's just stats that would be useful to any character. I could see myself taking it when the other 6 skills I'd chosen were complicated things that were going to overload my skill bar. I could see it being the lone non-wizardy skill on what was otherwise a glass cannon. It's basically doing what shield bearer or master of arms do, just more reliably and without as much flavor (at the moment, obviously, because you haven't written up text for it yet).

I'd use it, but I wouldn't be excited to do so. Which strikes me as really odd given that one of your criticisms of the weapon skills is that they don't really provide any compelling tactical options or special abilities more interesting than "MOAR DAMAGE". You felt that hitting twice as often or twice as hard was more boring than casting spells or having special skills that open up new areas of play experience. Isn't that exactly what Implacable Man does?

So I'm going to turn this request for feedback around, and as you: What is it about Implacable Man that you like? What about it makes you feel it's cool? Please explain it to me, so I can understand.

10. BladeOfGrass

BladeOfGrass Member

Brofistery should have at least one skill that has you summon a second McEyebrows on the other side of an enemy to team up for a Brolacon Pawnch.

11. Mushie

Mushie Member

On the Brofistery (a skill)

Name - Time for Adventure,
    Desc - Afther hours of watching Lake the human and Find the dog's Adventures, you realised you need a compannion too.
    Effect - Summons a companion (probary a dog or something, i dont even know anymore :3)

12. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Implacable is lacking. I think until we can come up with a good skill of even several, it would be worthless to make. Most of the skills that would fit the idea I get from my limited understanding of the theme have already been done and would thus be redundant.

You have already made a boatload of excellent mods that we all love. You do not have to make more.

That said, I like Haunted. I can see that in use by a number of builds I would make. It could use a bit more variety in damage though. :dmg_necromatic: and :dmg_aethereal: is a good combo, but almost exclusively the latter is desired since few monsters have any decent :resist_aethereal:. Still I prefer few damage types over many, since it is better by far to punch through resistances than risk having nothing potent enough to damage a resistant monster.

I will think about this and see if I can come up with something useful for the other ideas.

13. I think it would be topical if brofistery let you become best bros with enemies. Something along the lines of brofistbump. Deals big damage, and very rarely charms an enemy. Emphasis being on BIG DAMAGE and VERY RARELY charms. Because that's about how brofistery works in practice.

14. Shadowplay

Shadowplay Member

I am fiddling around with a skill tree idea myself

Jestology - you are a clown with big squeaky shoes, blinding shiney red nose, Ventriloquism, scary nightmare inducing makeup, a ton of clowns in very little space and naturally the worlds deadliest joke, part 1, 2 and 3 (since telling the entire joke at once would kill any man).

The tree will revolve around :existential_dmg: as your perception of reality slowly starts cumbling down and nothing you thought was real is there anymore while clown shoes squak silently in the distance....

DUN DUN DUUUUUN!!!

Edit, never mind - I thought you were looking for more ideas for skills, not extrapolating on the ones you already had :)

15. Shadowplay

Shadowplay Member

Also, use Musle Wizard instead of Brofistery imo. Brofist can be a skill inside the musclewizard tree though (and should be). For those who dont get the joke, this picture has been circling on 4chans /tg/ board for quite a while:
    1313040194924.jpg

Kaoschan, FaxCelestis and Daynab like this.
  16. Onamar

Onamar Member

I wholeheartedly approve of the Muscle Wizard. Scales on :burliness: but uses Mana, would definitely be fun.

17. tejón

tejón Member

I'm pretty sure Belimawr is already a Muscle Wizard ref. I mean, check the icon.

And Brofistery is rad. Deserves full treatment, not just one skill. :)