[Brainstorming]Hypnosis

Discussion in 'Modding' started by SeptimusHeap, Jun 16, 2012.

1. SeptimusHeap

SeptimusHeap Member

For my first mod, I'mthinking of adding a Hypnosis skill, which would focus on defense/debuffing monsters. I personally think the spells should have a cooldown instead of high mana cost, but what do you guys think?

Level 0: Sideshow Hypnosis
    "Years of working as a circus sideshow have boosted your resistance to evil clown magics."
    +3:stubborness:
    +2:magic_resist:

Level 1: Mediocre Confusion
    "Your feeble attempts at hypnosis often result with little more than confusing the target."
    +1:block:
    Passive buff: 30% chance to cause a hit enemy to be confused.

Level 2: Mastery of Lethargy
    "You have finally mastered the skill of instilling sleep on your enemies."
    +1:magic_resist:
    Spell: Hypnotic Sleep
    [​IMG] 10 - Puts all nearby enemies to sleep.

Level 3: Entrepreneur of Emotion
    "Your hypnosis makes the enemy cower in fear when you attack."
    +2:block:
    Passive buff: 10% chance to cause a hit enemy to be paralyzed for 1 turn. 40% chance to cause a hit enemy to become fearful.

Level 4: Mind Entanglement
    "You can now entangle the minds of weak dungeon wanderers."
    +1:stubborness:
    Spell: Mind Entanglement
    [​IMG] 25 - Charm for 15 turns.

Level 5: Self-Hypnosis
    "Using your refined hypnosis skills, you have unlocked your inner brainpower."
    +2:sight:
    +3:magic_resist:
    +3:block:
    Spell: Brainpower Overcharge
    Buffs :crit:, :counter:, :dodge: and :haywire: by 5, decreases :mana: by 10. can be toggled.

Opinions?

2. Aegho

Aegho Member

The fear effect makes them retreat away from you(ie: they turn tail and run).

Overall it looks a bit UP. Especially levels 0, 2 and 5 are weak. (For an idea of how weak sleep is as an effect, Essence had to add a debuff to his lvl 0 large AoE sleep downtime spell in one of his skills to make it powerful enough for lvl 0, and psionics has it as a cheap lvl 0 spell that does damage and THEN puts them to sleep).

Seriously a lvl 0 with just a little bit of stats is weaksauce, this may be merited if it's a buy-in cost for more powerful stuff later in but the skill lacks that kind of power. The lvl 2 skill is weaksauce and has no stats. The lvl 5 skill has decent stats but on a capstone you expect to ALSO get a good ability. Heck the lvl 4 skill wouldn't look amiss as a lvl 2-3 skill, and lacks stats, I kinda like how the charm is shortish duration and short cooldown though, makes it a reliably available crowd control tool (ie: you can reasonably expect it to be available for almost every fresh encounter). Levels 1 & 3 looks good.

Basically you could put the lvl 2 skill at lvl 0. the lvl 4 skill at lvl 2, the lvl 5 skill at lvl 4, and still be underwhelming.

Essence likes this.
  3. SeptimusHeap

SeptimusHeap Member

Buffed the lvl 0 stats, as well as making the 2 skill more powerful and a bit more costly. The lvl 5 skill now includes a decent spell as a bonus. Opinions?

4. Aegho

Aegho Member

Honestly the lvl 5 skill isn't all that great because of the opportunity cost vs what you get. In general you could put a cost to it in the form of mana upkeep, or a debuff portion(like a manapool penalty, a la war weaver) and give it infinite duration with the ability to cancel, or increased duration and it wouldn't look that bad, or you could make it seriously more powerful and up the cooldown time.

Or you could turn it into a triggeroncast proc.

5. SeptimusHeap

SeptimusHeap Member

Added a max mana cap decrease and made it toggleable.

6. Aegho

Aegho Member

Looks sort of decent now. Note that sleep at best is a weaker form of invisibility for running away, with no real crowd control use other than backing off a few steps to create distance before attacking. But with a timer that short it could be quite usable to a ranged character, depending on the size of the aoe(template 100 or 101 would be adviceable, or possibly use area. Or cone if you prefer it being directed).

On a whole, it's somewhat useful for ranged characters, and weak for melee characters. (Even the melee procs tend more towards creating time to create distance than helping melee. Both confuse and fear aid ranged, fear can even be detrimental to melee).

I'd give it a go as it looks now.

7. SeptimusHeap

SeptimusHeap Member

OK. One more thing, looking at this chart, would the ability #1 correspond with my #0? My #0 is what I start with, right? Would you advise adding another level?

8. Aegho

Aegho Member

Yes. Yes. Sure.

9. Cookie Cutter

Cookie Cutter Member

Septimus Heap from Magyk? (not a typo) I LOVED that book. Do you now where i can get the sequel?

Woops i got side tracked. About the skill set, it seems pretty interesting but it does seem a bit UP. Maybe putting better stat bonuses when you get a skill and more a bit more crowd control. But what confuses me is that you said that it is better with ranged classes but you have to be in melee to apply the effects. (Assuming you apply the effects with a weapon attack and not a spell).

10. SeptimusHeap

SeptimusHeap Member

Thanks.

11. Cookie Cutter

Cookie Cutter Member

Yes. The #1 skill is your first skill so it basically is skill #0.

12. SeptimusHeap

SeptimusHeap Member

Noobish question, but how do I proc confusion on hit? Would I make a new spell or what?

13. Null

Null Will Mod for Digglebucks

Make a spell that causes confusion, add it as a targetHitEffectBuff

14. SeptimusHeap

SeptimusHeap Member

Two more quick questions:
    1) How do I make a toggle skill like my overcharge idea? Where should I look? The Transdimensional Dodge code doesn't make sense to me.
    2) Where can I look for spriters/request sprites?

15. Null

Null Will Mod for Digglebucks

1) That's easy, just make it a buff that's removable, with the skill just having a downtime of 1 (it could be anything, but a downtime of 1 means it's always usable but not considered a 0:mana: spell)

16. Aegho

Aegho Member

Actually downtime 1 means you can use it every other turn.

17. SeptimusHeap

SeptimusHeap Member

Sooo what should I do?

Anyway, I'll probably change it to a spell possibly. Any ideas?

Also, do you know of anyone that does DoD style art for mods?

18. SeptimusHeap

SeptimusHeap Member

19. Ruigi

Ruigi Will Mod for Digglebucks

I don't mean to be a debbie downer, but this class seems very similar to Psionics, especially the starter spell "Narcosomatic Induction"

20. SeptimusHeap

SeptimusHeap Member

I thought of that, but this one is more of a passively defensive skill and completely independent from mana usage.