Board and Card Games

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by Blind Piper, Jan 29, 2012.

1. This forum is pretty dang permissive. Authors of other games are even allowed to advertise their crap here, at least their relevant crap. This would be pretty relevant to dredmor players' interests as well, IMO.

2. blob

blob Member

Hah that sounds cool ! I like competition games, with secret objectives ( like The Wolves of Millers Hollow or Bang ). Only drawback is that its 4 player max ? Sometimes difficult to get just the right number of people for a game.

3. kino5

kino5 Member

blob likes this.
  4. badboy80

badboy80 Member

Pokemon TCG, Warhammer 40k, Warhammer, Lord of the Rings tabletop, and various others. Always wanted to play MtG, and DnD, but I couldn't find anyone to play it with :(

5. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Hmm...

I actually played the first one. Though there wasn't anyone amongst my friends capable of playing with my deck (mostly because the basic idea was really crazy).
    The second one as well, though I never won a single battle (I suck at playing Tau, mostly because my troop selection consists in large part of "wow, shiny, I'll take that"). And the third I also played, with some degree of success (nothing major, though).
    LotR I'd never played so I can't say anything about that.

MtG can be fine, depending on whether you get the cards you want (I mean the general colour, not the ultra-rare cards and stuff like that), but the most important part is your opponent. If it's a jerk that plays to humiliate you, then the only way to gain pleasure is to rid him of some teeth, but if it's a guy that plays to have fun, it can be very memorable.
    And the same can be said about DnD, but here the version number is also important (3.5 for those who are more into role-playing, and 4 for those who want more of a tactical game than fully-fledged role-playing [not that this is bad, it's just different; BattleTech was similar in that aspect as it was more about tactics than role-playing and it was very enjoyable]) and the most important thing is the DM (a.k.a. "Dungeon Master", though some use GM, a.k.a. "Game Master", and I also know of one system where he is known as "The Storyteller") as you can always take the resident munchkin/"woe is me" player and stuff him into the closet (I had this done to me once, but they got me out a minute later because of a pretty amusing reason), but you can't do the same to the DM if he's being an ass.

6. klaymen_sk

klaymen_sk Member

In bordgames, I prefer Ameritrash, but not by a large margin, it is on a case-by-case basis.

We're a group of boardgamers which started with some RPGs (so far we've played one old Czech RPG and we want to try two another).
    Now I have to persuade (read: force) them to play some World of Warcraft: The Board Game and Prophecy (Czech game similar to Talisman). Also I'm planning to purchase Death Angel, which is basically card version of Space Hulk, Horus Heresy and Discworld: Ankh-Morpork, because I love Discworld books.

7. Blind Piper

Blind Piper Member

Death Angel is pretty good. We found it to be really unforgiving in our first plays, which turned some of our members off. After I managed to convince them to give it another try, we managed to have a nice game with it.

On the topic of MtG, since a lot of complaints revolve around the cost of the game (considering chase rares of new sets usually go for at least ~$30), there's always the Cube format. It's a self-contained set designed by a group of players to be drafted. Since it isn't a sanctioned format, one can use proxies to fill out the expensive cards, or make a Pauper Cube (read: budget). After trying Cube out, about 90% of my Magic time is spent Cubing.

8. klaymen_sk

klaymen_sk Member

You don't have to own every single rare chase of every set. In fact, unless you want to play in tournaments at all costs, be prepared to shell out quite a sum to keep your deck competitive (because of the Standard format rules). Other than that, you can play just with a friends or join Extended (cards from ~4 years ago are still legal) or Vintage (cards from all editions are legal, barring those banned, of course) format tournaments.

9. Blind Piper

Blind Piper Member

I completely agree, but some metas are more competitive than others. The only group one might have to play with is a Standard Spike-heavy community.

10. Lorrelian

Lorrelian Member

It's best if you can find a place that runs consistent Modern events if you want competitive play. Standard can be fine for casual and is a great teaching format, but it rolls over too fast to be well explored. Still, a crafty player can do fine with cheap cards, and a Red Deck player can win major tournaments with only 4 rares in the deck. Particularly in the current Standard.

Of course, my idea of great MtG involves the Elder Dragon Highlander format, six people and no time limits.

11. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

My friends' idea of MtG (or any TCG, to be frank) involves getting a place to play, inviting a few people and telling them what cards to bring (with an additional "bring a spare deck if you have one"), and mixing decks at random (since every deck has different sleeves, it's easy for us to get random decks for every duel) by setting them all aside with numbers and drawing them with tickets. It's fun that way because that means every fight is different (as giving two players the same deck is likely to result in them using it differently), and it also enforces balancing decks - if it's too strong, then you are giving everyone the chance to break other players with it, so you won't be safe.

blob likes this.
  12. Blind Piper

Blind Piper Member

Post-rotation, Red Deck Wins has suffered from Dark Ascension's additions. As a big fan of red aggro, I can at least take solace in the upcoming banning of Lingering Souls and Intangible Virtue in Innistrad Block Constructed.

In my experiences, Standard can be a very competitive environment and encourages experimental deck-building. The pre-Dark Ascension Standard had wonderful diversity, though that has taken a bit of a hit with all the tokens. I find Modern and other eternal formats to be a little too stagnant. You can build something new, but if it hasn't won before turn five, you'll lose to Storm. And Storm isn't even the top deck in Modern.

EDH is definitely my favorite multiplayer format, though I prefer a player count in the range of four. Higher than that and there's always someone who takes forever to take their turns. And if someone is defeated early, they're stuck waiting out an hour or two before the second player falls. Cube is most definitely my favorite one-on-one format. It has an advantage similar to Kazeto's random piles: everyone benefits from a powerful Cube, since it's drafted.

13. Lorrelian

Lorrelian Member

I love draft, and I'd love to do Cube, but I'm the only limited fan in my usual play group. I'd probably have a stronger opinion on Cube if I could get the cards to make a decent one and convince my friends to play it with me. =/

14. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

I used to be an avid board gamer (actually I wrote for a small gaming magazine way back when). I'll mention a few of my favorites.

Cosmic Encounter: I've owned a copy of just about every edition, including the original by Eon Products. I recently picked up Fantasy Flight Games version of it. Cosmic Encounter was probably the MOST influential board game of the last century, as it's influenced so many board and computer and card games that came after it

Wiz War: There's supposedly a new version coming out -- if you like beer and pretzels type of games, and you like Dredmor, you should love Wiz War.

Axis and Allies (and tons of different variants/add-ons)

Fortress America -- this was another MB game in the same series as Axis and Allies. I actually was quite good at it (won some tournaments).

Kremlin: Awesome, underappreciated game in its time, created by Avalon Hill.

Illuminati: a card game published by Steve Jackson Games, not to be confused by "Illuminati: New World Order" which was a CCG published by SJG as well.

Advanced Civilization -- long story short, this game helped bring down Avalon Hill as a game company, due to them being sued by Sid Meyer (AH lost, in spite of the fact that the board game existed prior to Sid Meyer's computer game).

Monopoly -- I actually was undefeated in a tournament at Gencon, and STILL didn't manage to make it to the finals due to some screwed up ratings system. Still, friends refused to play against me after a while because I can be ruthless when playing it. I could write so much about how and when to create housing shortages, the true value of the "Get out of Jail Free" card (why it's worth more than $50, for example), and so on. There's a lot more to the game than most people realize. BTW, I was really pissed off about missing the finals, mostly because they were supposed to take place in Washington DC (they would have paid for my transportation and hotel).

Conquest -- a chess-like game where on your turn, you actually make 20 moves at a time. I love chess-like games more than I like chess itself. There actually were both a 2-player and 4-player editions of the game -- I've only owned/played the 2-player edition.

Team Chess (aka Siamese Chess, aka Bunkhouse, aka Bughouse) -- I was addicted to this game during, and after college. We used to attract big crowds of on-lookers when we played it at our local deli during lunch hours when I lived/worked in NJ. The restaurant owner loved us because we attracted customers.

15. ScrObot_

ScrObot_ Member

A few more to add to the mix:

Dixit -- A bit like Apples to Apples, but the cards are trippy, somewhat ambiguous paintings. On your turn you come up with a word, phrase or even a few sentences to describe a card in your hand (ideally not too specific but also not too vague), then everyone picks one of the six cards in their hand that best matches it, places them face down, then you flip them (plus yours) and everyone votes and points are tallied. Very easy to learn and pretty quick. It's less "pandering" than Apples to Apples can be. You can play this one a few times in a row, especially if you get the expansion deck for a ton more cards. 4-6 players.

Ticket to Ride -- Collect colored cards to build rail lines the cities on your drawn destination cards. Lots of pieces and cards, but pretty fun. Can get really competitive if you build rail lines solely to block other players. (= 2-5 players.

Forbidden Island -- Very easy to learn cooperative game that casual or non-gamers can play, since you talk everything out; it's all of you versus the sinking island. Tile placement is random, as is the "role" card you end up with (which gives you a special ability), so it's a little different every time. Another relatively quick game, though you'll probably only want to play it once per session. 2-4 players.

Carcassonne -- Tile placement game, puzzle style (you have to match the edges correctly, road to road, river to river, etc.), you are trying to claim different areas to score points. A different layout every time, good replayability. You need to be able to think ahead a bit to score effectively, but I enjoy it. (= 2-5 players.

Word on the Street -- 2 team game where you come up with a word that fits the selected category card (some of which are very specific, e.g. a player's pet's name.), then you have to spell it out loud, moving the individual letter tiles toward your side as you go, tug-of-war style. Oh yeah, you only have 30 seconds per turn, which makes it a bit hectic. (= The spelling aspect may turn some off, but as long as someone on your team can spell, it's typically not a big deal. It can get rowdy when the teams inevitably start heckling each other. Super easy to learn and a quick play; you can play a few times in a row easily. 2-8+ players.

16. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

I play Ticket to Ride on the IPad -- definitely an addictive and fun game. Reminds me of another favorite, Eurorails, and that whole series of rail games (Empire Builder, Lunar Rails, etc.). I'm generally not a lover of rail games, mostly because they sometimes can get too... broad and convoluted. But those games (TTR, and the EB series) are real easy to grasp, yet not so simple that they fail to hold ones interest.

Another game that comes to mind that I used to play: Talisman. It was a fun but flawed game.

Also, I played some Diplomacy in my time. It's a game that I used to play that I urge people never ever ever to play with friends. The reason is that it brings out people's dark sides, if they have one. I've heard stories of marriages that have collapsed during a game of Diplomacy. I had this one friend who actually was the person who ALWAYS wanted to play Diplomacy, yet also was always the one who's dark side would show during the game. He would take EVERY backstab, every lie entirely too personally, yet was always doing the same thing to others.

Friends don't let friends play Diplomacy.

17. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Oh yeah, I remember this one. My cousin showed it to me a long time ago, along with a mass of add-ons to it (I think she only lacked one). Playing it took the whole floor and some more, and an ungodly amount of time.

Still, it was fun to play. And the box was awesome.

18. blob

blob Member

Had found a diplomacy box in the street a few years ago. Since the game is pretty expensive I was surprised. Now I know why.

19. klaymen_sk

klaymen_sk Member

I remember playing it a long time ago. Sadly, only 2nd edition, with no expansions. Nothing more was ever translated into Slovak language.

At least I got Prophecy, which is a somewhat similar game made by one Czech designer.

20. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Member

I play with a group of friends once a week. It's mostly Euro games since that's what the guy who hosts has more of. We play Catan, Dixit, Dominion, Carcasonne (rarely since it is a bit long), 7 Wonders, Race for the Galaxy, Agricola, Le Harve, Princes of Florence, Navegador, and others.

My personal favorite is definitely Agricola, mostly because I like getting to build a farm and arrange things. I've been waiting on the iOS port to finally come out...