BETA 52E BETA 52E: THE CURIOUS CASE OF THE NEW BUTTON ON THE UI

Discussion in 'Clockwork Empires General' started by Nicholas, Jul 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

It's up on Steam!

Major Changes

added 2x speed button
    added harvest stamp commands to collect resources from the map
    fixed module placement limits (can't place modules in invalid buildings or on top of one another)
    various UI and mechanics related to upkeep improved, bugs fixed, balancing done
    civilians can now fight

Full changelog for Beta 52E

added new buttons for spawn points
    added currently selected highlighting to lists of offices/housing, changed visual style slightly.
    new emotion value display added to characters
    added 2x simulation button! HOLY VORPULON
    reduced # of points on world; optimized world gen a bit
    added embarkation button icon biome detection code
    players cannot place modules into inappropriate buildings (Blueprints where you can place a module will show as blue. Blueprints where you cannot place a module will show up as red.)
    removed "chop down", "mine surface node", "forage", "clear terrain" and replaced them with assignment stamping tools
    added Upkeep display to workshops
    modules disabled by lack of upkeep will no longer lose production queues
    housing population cap increase system added: houses will now increase population cap per appropriate social class as you add amenities, look for details in the UI
    various improvements added to ranged and melee attack logic
    did work crew selection box improvements (shows skill level, number of labourers assigned to crew)
    improved FYI alert UI style
    added disturbance counter.
    removed starting NCO
    removed field promotions
    added civilian combat AI
    reduced animals spawned at start of game (they were crowding things)
    rebalanced off-shift social jobs to hopefully make things more interesting
    added new event for reaching the 150 char population cap
    added Rare Painting module to game. Placing these in your houses increases their population capacity. (it can be acquired from various events and traders)
    added new trait: Light Sleeper. Can only sleep in beds.
    added new trait: Heavy Sleeper. isn't woken by preaching/gunfire/etc.
    traits: Adaptable trait now gives bonus to skillgain of best 3 skills
    traits: Brutish trait gives a bonus to melee damage
    traits: Materialistic colonists are harder to please with house quality
    traits: Reclusive colonists don't make friends on spawn
    traits: Scholarly trait gives bonus to science skillgain and penalty to all others
    traits: Xenophobic overseers can cause diplomatic incidents if you assign them to a foreign office
    traits: Patriotic overseers give a bonus to empire diplomacy point gain
    traits: epiceureans learn cooking skill faster
    traits: removed Voracious trait
    traits: Hale and Hearty trait grants a bonus to HP
    added new trait: Jack of All Trades. Gets a bonus to leveling skills that are below lv3
    added new trait: Highly focused. Gets a bonus to learning their best skill and a penalty to all others
    added new trait: Woodtouch, Stonesense, Ironborn. Gives boni to Carpentry, Ceramics, Metalworking skillgain respectively. Ironborn grants a small melee damage bonus.
    added new trait: Oblivious Worker. Gains no benefit or penalty from workplace quality
    balance: added clay to Tropical Dry Forest
    balance: upkeep timers are tracker per-building rather than globally
    balance: Novice and Artisan upkeep trunk recipes now give 2 trunks for 1 resource
    FIXED: various jobs could be performed while carrying commodities now require they be dropped (eg. hunting, repairing buildings)
    FIXED: beetles eating longpork will no longer transform it into charred meat
    FIXED: colonists will no longer drink booze that doesn't belong to them
    FIXED: crashed airship ending scripterror (in certain cases)
    FIXED 52D: items stuck to hands due to job interrupts
    FIXED 52D: gridAddItem error, for real
    FIXED 52D: grimoire scripterror when no vicar present
    FIXED: grammar error in the airship crash event
    FIXED: Scrap Iron can now be smelted into iron bars
    FIXED: players cannot place modules on top of other modules
    FIXED: productionWindow not initialized after save/load and may contain garbage
    FIXED: various typos
    FIXED: house demolish button
    FIXED: colonists no longer only wander into the woods when afraid
    FIXED:mining surface nodes took more than twice as long as intended
    FIXED: removed some unpathable cliffs in temperate swamp

2. tojosan

tojosan Member

Does this mean to more bookshelves in lower class housing?

3. Nicholas

If a module is a decor module, it can be placed anywhere. The end plan here is colonists will soon actually want things in their specific assigned domiciles once they show up and occupy a space, but we'll see how we do.

4. Unforked

Unforked Member

Hefty update! Excited to see so many traits activated. We're starting to get some personalities!

5. DaCrAzYmOfO

DaCrAzYmOfO Member

Wonderful Work! Firing it up soon!

6. Mikel

Mikel Waiting On Paperwork From The Ministry. Forever.

Wow. When do guys actually sleep?

7. Alephred

Alephred Royal Archivist for Queen And Empire

Just a minor issue with the embark screen: Biomes with a list of sub-biomes that run over one line tend to overlap the 'Wildlife' header:

UI.jpg

*edit* Okay, I've noticed the text formats itself correctly after I click one of the loadout buttons.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
    Manamoo likes this.
  8. Nicholas

Daniel, this afternoon: "That entire window is a garbage fire and the next thing I'm doing in my UI work is setting it on fire, then setting the fire on fire." Or something like that.

(Another known bug: some tooltips are messed after load/save.)

Tarod and Bluebird like this.
  9. LeChatMG

LeChatMG Member

Slight design issue: the 2x button is exactly the same whether it is pressed or not (plus, it is creamy white while its neighbors are bluish)

10. mcnostril

mcnostril "The First To Crash"

Oooooh looking forward to that.

Got a crash after an event report (don't know what it's called, it's the one where they unearth Symbols that says It is Time); clicking on "zoom to location" instantly crashed the game

11. Alephred

Hey, the change to harvesting and foraging - stamping a zone for quarrying rocks and chopping trees, rather than click-hold-and-drag - is interesting, I'm going to play with it to see how it feels over the length of a game or two. Can I ask about the reasoning behind that decision?

Tarod likes this.
  12. Nicholas

Well, that shouldn't happen. If the game produced a DMP file, please let me know and send it to contact 'at' gaslampgames dot com with a description of the issue.

Users, especially new users, would drag out a MASSIVE area for harvesting trees/mining surface nodes, etc. which would a) occupy one work crew for 50 years while they tried harvest 300 trees/nodes/etc.; b) not let you enjoy the experience of selecting more trees; and c) cause people to complain that "the game is slow." Well, yes, it's slow - you're trying to harvest 5000 trees!

13. Alephred

I'd love to hear about how you determine how a new user plays - I'm sure just watching someone learn the UI and systems is a great help in determining what areas need polish, and what a potential purchaser might expect in a title like this.

14. LeChatMG

LeChatMG Member

If mcnostril is speaking of the "one of your colonists found an artefact" event, then i got the same: clicking on the zoom to location button crashes the game with a C++ Runtime error, so no dump for you! :p

15. Mad_Ludvig

Mad_Ludvig Member

Huge improvement over 52D!! The refined upkeep system is at least tolerable, and I like you're not encouraged to build tiny shacks crammed full of beds anymore.

One thing that I noticed using the Instant Colony loadout though, it took until day 8 to get any immigrants, even though I had at least 9 worker and 2 overseer population cap available. I haven't played any of the other loadouts, so I'm not sure if this is now the norm.

16. Nicholas

17. Alephred

Man, those are some cheeky bandits.

bandits.jpg

Having played a bit longer now, I'll say the pace of the game is better than it was in 52D - the 2x speed button helps pass uneventful nights, and the reduced costs of upkeep chests mean a more reasonable amount of colony production can go toward building goods (rather than upkeep). The new forage 'stamp' is fine, it doesn't feel like a major change for either better or worse. Starting without an NCO just means I need to remember to build a Barracks early in the game.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
    Unforked likes this.
  18. mcnostril

mcnostril "The First To Crash"

I'm having the immigration thing again, where I build houses and the numbers go up, but people never show up even after days and days

Tarod likes this.
  19. Unforked

Unforked Member

Ah, but civilians are so empowered now! Nothing like watching one punch a Selenian and its spawn to death, all while suffering a dozen "Selenian field effects".:)

20. DaCrAzYmOfO

DaCrAzYmOfO Member

I never liked the fact that the NCOs were locked into being the military of the colony, especially by name. I always cringed seeing a level 3 or 4 overseer with better military skill and traits than the NCO

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.