BETA 52C: POUNDED INTO THE DIRT BY APPARENTLY EXTREME UPKEEP REQUIREMENT NUMBERS

Discussion in 'Clockwork Empires General' started by Nicholas, Jul 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

Changelog:

swapped upkeep needed vs. count in UI
    "Repair Trunk" renamed to "Upkeep Trunk"
    gather upkeep materials now uses multitem system
    "Delete Module" command renamed "Dismantle Module"
    added support features for multi-item system being used by upkeep trunks
    new building construction command tooltips added
    disabled some empty UI containers
    modules have a (deliberately) overdramatic particle effect when they need upkeep. This will be toned down later.
    FIXED 52B: Making upkeep trunks is no longer instant
    FIXED 52B: Doors no longer subtract quality from buildings
    FIXED 52B: Carpets have been returned to their proper quality level
    FIXED 52B: various issues with upkeep handling
    FIXED 52B: upkeep counts
    FIXED: Replays now work again! Yay. Please look forward to Reproducible Bugs Being Removed.

2. Nicholas

BTW maybe *now* somebody will find the late-to-end-game content present in 52B. :D

Bluebird and Unforked like this.
  3. Unforked

Unforked Member

Oh, I'll be looking! The question is how to trigger it, or if it's a random event...

4. In the Kitchen, recipes are remaining greyed out and stating you don't have the requisite ingredients whether you do or not. This doesn't stop you from making them anyway.

5. Mad_Ludvig

Mad_Ludvig Member

Exciting! My quaint shanty town was ambushed by the treacherous Novorus without any warning for the poor colonists. Would having a Foreign Office have prevented/warned me of this?

Attached Files:

6. The Tutorial for I believe it was Survival 2 and 3, for building the lower class house and the barracks, suddenly said it was completed even though I had not even begun to build either building.

7. Random idea regarding disappearing/invisible resources. Is it possible that it's tied to terrain that's been flattened? Like even though visually the terrain looks flat now, for some reason it's still hiding the resource behind it as if it weren't?

8. Nicholas

Very possible, yes. It's on my list to investigate.

9. Ben Tame

Ben Tame Member

First time poster :)

The new "upkeep" part of the UI at the top is not visible in 52C :-(.

Played around 3 hours in 52B yesterday, the new system with upkeep seems ok (would it make sense that a workcrew in a shop makes the upkeep/repairs themselves as a priority, rather than waiting for someone else to do it?).

I am not so sure on the population linked to houses, it really seemed to slow the game up here (from time point of view) until about an hour or so into the game. In the past, I always built one big bunkhouse with 10 or so cots in it to start. Maybe linking population growth to the size of the house would be an idea.

EDIT: heading to work now, I see the upkeep UI was working in the screenshot posted above by Mad_Ludvig, perhaps I need to build more to test properly, will try to get an hour or two in this evening.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2016
    Manamoo likes this.
  10. Rentahamster

Rentahamster Member

I dunno, I got up to 146 colonists, and nothing really happened after that. Do they all have to go insane or something? hehe

11. I ran into an issue: when putting down beds in a newly built bunkhouse, I moved a worker who was carrying one of the boxed bed modules from the crew building the house to a crew chopping trees. She carried the module to where it was going, then walked off to chop trees. At this point, this should have left me with one remaining boxed module cot in the stockpile and the one that was just carried to where the cot was to be constructed. The next builder in line picked up the boxed module out of the stockpile, but it was still showing there was another one there, and I assumed this was because the original cot builder had been interrupted, so the item had gone back to the stockpile automatically or something. The new builder carries his box over and lays it on top of where the original cot box was laid, and built the cot. The original box was still there, in the middle of the cot, and in the stockpile simultaneously, but from that point on no one would pick up either box or construct that last cot.

12. Nicholas

They're random, but maybe your colonists aren't enough to trigger it? Hmm.

How is performance with 150 colonists?

13. Rentahamster

Rentahamster Member

Maybe. It was in 52B. I posted it in the last thread along with a console so you can see what I was doing. I haven't tried 52C yet.

The performance was pretty good, considering that it used to get majorly slow at 60 colonists at one point.

In 52B, I'd say that the performance was pretty much the same from 1-130 colonists, then after that it started to lag ever so slightly, until it became pretty noticeable at 146. But even, then, it wasn't nearly as bad as it used to be. I'm running an Intel i7- 5960X @ 3.00GHz, with 32GB RAM, and an SSD.

14. Alephred

Alephred Royal Archivist for Queen And Empire

I'm having a minor issue - the stockpile isn't accurately reflecting the number of units of bric-a-brac I have in my possession. My military was understrength, so I shamefully allowed bandits to take some of my stuff. They chose to steal some copper ingots and bric-a-brac; the issue I'm having is that the stolen resources continue to appear in my stockpile, and now I never know if I have enough bric-a-brac to make decorations.

I suspect the issue here is that the items are only removed from my stockpile when the bandits carrying them deposit them in their bandit tents - otherwise, the game still considers them 'mine', and this is reflected in the erroneous stockpile. In the example above, bandits stole a total of 4 bric-a-brac, but the amount of 'phantom' bric-a-brac slowly dwindled over a long period, presumably as ownership of the resource changed.

*edit* So I've played a fair amount, and I have some thoughts about the changes to immigration:
    • constructing a building raises the population cap by a fixed amount (i.e. 2 lower class colonists per lower class house), regardless of the size of the house
    • each module (e.g. a cot) placed in a house decreases the Quality, and increases upkeep costs
    • the two above factors encourage players wishing to expand to build several moderate-size buildings that contain a small number of cots (say, 2 or 3), instead of a fewer huge houses that contain a ton of cots (e.g. 8)
    • the practical upshot is that, after a short burst of buildings containing multiple beds early in the game, it's simply most economical to build houses that are the strict minimum size required to hold exactly as many beds as their corresponding new immigrants - once your colony is stable, all new lower class houses should hold 2 cots, and all middle class houses should contain one practical bed
    • considering urban design for a second, colonies are going to have a ton more housing, crammed into every available corner - I'm finding this is causing the colony footprint to sprawl, particularly on hilly maps where a greater amount of land is not flat and cannot support buildings
    Personally, I I being able to directly control my colony's rate of growth. Making buildings a requirement for immigration, plus the diversion of resources in to Upkeep Chests definitely slows the overall rate of expansion, though.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2016
  15. Bluebird

Bluebird Member

Miss the soldiers carrying stuff back to stockpiles though

16. Mad_Ludvig

Mad_Ludvig Member

I'll agree and disagree. It's nice when things are going well to be able to throw up three or four houses and have a full work crew march in a couple days later. However, it removes a bit of the random FUN! factor. It was always entertaining in DF/Gnomoria when a whole bunch of immigrants come marching in, and you have to scramble to carve out beds in a hurry or panic when food stores start running low. When the player has complete control over immigration, they can build up their infrastructure before calling in more peons. Perhaps there should be a random component to the immigration as well.

Speaking of food/growing food: are there any plans for seasons in future builds, or does New Antipodea reside on a flat planet with the sun revolving around it?

Tikigod likes this.
  17. Unforked

Unforked Member

I starved all your colonists and decommissioned the military to let bandits and fish people have their way.

Despair barely went above a quarter bar for any given colonist. I think it's impossible to make anyone go crazy these days.

18. Alavaria

Alavaria Member

I take it you're not a fan of giving everyone max quality sleeping =p

19. Bluebird

Bluebird Member

Requesting Novorus traders - does not seem to work.

20. Sethiusdraven

Sethiusdraven Member

with the colony now going to be a larger "city center", the time it takes soldiers to react to threats is going to take more time for them to run across town. In the past I was strategically placing barracks around town so that each squad would be near their "area" to protect. at the moment this doesn't work as it should as they randomly wander around. Could you implement something so that the soldiers have to return to their barracks to do "Training"? This would keep them near their area of town that you would like to protect, so that one squad could be there right away, while the rest come to reinforce when there's call for "Help!".

Brian West likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.