Best Synergies

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by FaultyClockwork, Aug 3, 2012.

1. I'm trying this with Archeology and Bankster, if I need more health I'll do it with Communism. As it is, I'm the Church of Demonology's corrupt finance minister.

2. Shwqa

Shwqa Member

I wouldn't because perception is amazing! I normally rush to get that to trap sense or second sight. Perception gives you a chance to find an item when you kill an enemy and the odds and items get better the higher up you are on the tree. my character with just trap sense has straight up found about 15 steel ignots, 10 coal, 7 aqua vitae, 5 healing potions, 7 healing mushrooms, 8 invisibility mushrooms and more.

Kazeto likes this.
  3. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

I've tried something like this before, but until the pocket dimension, it was even more non-viable than it is now. but this has a lot of synergies, although I'm doing it mostly for fun (I don't expect to win with this):
    Anyway, here goes:
    Tinkering
    Smithing
    Alchemy
    Wand Lore
    Perception
    Burglary
    Paranormal Investigator (primarily for the recipes)

Obviously, this is a themed build with just about all the crafting skills and the primary skills that synergize with them. There are, of course, decent synergies between most or all of the crafting skills. Burglary's major synergy is that it can swipe from crafting vending machines -- not a major one, but wasn't sure that there was anything else that would fit better in that slot (plus I love burglary). Probably a better one would have been Fungal, and I may try that in a future run.

Major downside is the frequent visits to my pocket dimension to unload crafting crap that I do not currently have the skill to make use of.

4. Urthdigger

Urthdigger Member

Not exactly a skill synergy, but Necronomeconomics plus teleporters is a load of fun. Pop through a teleporter, drop a tenebrous rift, pop back out, and let it safely clear the room for you. You'll likely want to pick Astronomy to get celestial aegis, since you'll not only be dealing with the necro pain, but also a turn or two of standing in your own rift, and the usual skills to boost your magic power and mana regeneration (Blood magic, ley walker, magic trainer), and dagger may be useful for the switcheroo in case a monster steps on your teleporter.

5. So is Astrology the only thing that mitigates Necro?

6. Frelus

Frelus Member

If you want to feel OP, try the Inquisitor from FaxPax that gives 1 :resist_nercomatic:/level...
    And nice buffs. Really, a Necro/Viking/Inquisitor is damn strong.
    Other skills could include:
    Alchemy
    Perception
    Leylines
    Polearms/Staves/Daggers/Burglary/Archaeology

7. Giygas

Giygas Member

I'm playing a pretty nice build right now.

-Daggers (the best weapon skill for rogues)
    -Dual Wielding (duh)
    -Crossbows (synergies with tinkering/clockwork knight/rogue scientist for more bolts and xbows)
    -Tinkering (bolts, :trap_level:/:trap_sense:, and xbows)
    -Rogue Scientist (potions and more :tinkerer:)
    -Clockwork Knight (.:smithing: and :tinkerer:)
    -Perception (more range for pulverizing stuff)

Basically, in the early game you're very very strong from a distance with crossbows. At midgame your melee power picks up (from finally getting out of the rut created by a lack of daggers) and at endgame you can create a ton of bolts since you can have a maximum of 11 :tinkerer: without the Diggle God of Secrets and 13 with his blessing. You'll also have the Morvaic dagger, which is only rivaled by the 50 :dmg_slashing: sword (over the 45 :dmg_piercing: 1 :dmg_slashing: dagger). Remember that only a handful of enemies resist :dmg_piercing: while almost every enemy has :armor_asorb:.

8. Vanilla, what else would you use to mitigate the self-destructiveness of Necro? Maybe Bankster's debuff dump?

9. Frelus

Frelus Member

Doesn't bankster only remove bankster related debuffs?
    Astrology is a very solid choice.
    Finding early Little Black Books is also really useful.
    I do not know if there are any, but if there are early encrusts with necro resist, they would certainly rock.

10. shaken

shaken Member

I believe Communism and Magical Law both have abilities that allow you to remove a debuff. Also Vampirism has Necro Resist, but the new form of Vampirism doesn't scale well with Necronomiconicomics, since the Necro debuffs take away from Health Regen, which is what Vamp scales off of now.

11. Frelus

Frelus Member

What? vamp scales off hp regen?
    Gotta look it up right now...

12. Giygas

Giygas Member

There's a Very Holy shield encrust, but unfortunately it's hidden and requires :wand_burn:. It gives 5 :resist_nercomatic: and :resist_righteous: though.

Also, I forgot to mention that Tinkering and Rouge Scientist have another synergy; Rouge Scientist grants just enough :wand_burn: for Firey Wands, which can be crafted in to Bolts of Mass Destruction with Tinkering.

13. Shwqa

Shwqa Member

The very holy shield isn't to hard to get because it only needs 3 :wand_burn:. In the vanilla game there is a 1:wand_burn: hat and ring. Getting 2 rings and a hat is enough. Also if you get the rogue scientist you get 2:wand_burn:.

14. Midnight Tea

Midnight Tea Member

One of my favorite, cheesiest synergies is Promethean Magic, the initial level of Blood Magic, and capped out Leylines.

BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! Every enemy you blow up gives you mana for blowing enemies up! Recursive loop of fiery explosions! With Leylines having like a million more means of getting mana, so the explosion party never ends.

Put on some fitting music for your fiery holocaust and you're all set.

Doc Gelegentlich likes this.
  15. TheKirkUnited

TheKirkUnited Member

I finally found a use for werediggle. After my Egyptian gish bit the big one by being countered at range by a named enemy I decided to build a craft monger. He looks like this.

Blacksmith
    Tinkering
    Alchemy
    Paranormal Investigator
    Communist
    Perception
    Werediggle Curse

I didn't take wand craft because I find wands very frequently and I find the crafting recipes to be very hard to remember. The other three seem to be more than enough, especially since the crusts from wandcraft are largely mage themed.

The idea behind this build is to get the very best equipment you can manage to slap together and then encrust it. Then rock out diggle form. Since there's no focus on a single weapon and few passives, not much is lost by using the diggle form.

I did throw communist on mostly so I could play with more new content. It could easily be replaced by something more friendly to this build, like Berserk Rage or Viking Magic or even Assassination.

I like Communist buffs for surviving while undiggled: A necessary evil for dealing with traps

16. That's really interesting. I tried Werediggle with Assassination/BGH/Berserker/Viking Magic/Archeology and something else, I don't recall. There's a fun potential roleplay to your build too. A paranormal investigator who is dun dun dun... THE WEREWOLF.

Doc Gelegentlich likes this.
  17. I think all of curse removal spells have been nerfed to only remove a single, random curse, and some of them only remove the curses from their own trees (banksterism and killer vegan's capstones). The Cure still removes Necroeconomics debuffs (though only one at a time), plus it later gives you some necromantic resist in Mark of the Black Eyeliner. If you want really serious uncursing, you'll probably need to start crafting Zodiacal Wands or Potions of Purity, though it's perfectly possible that they've also started only removing a single curse each. But one of the better skills for resisting necronomiconomics damage is Warlockery. It doesn't give the resist naturally, but Mage's Mana Maille (which only takes a single skill point to get) gives you resist 1 to all damage types, and is generally just a very nice skill for Gish builds.
    EDIT: Oh yeah, and I was going to mention that I'm pretty sure the supposed "anti-synergy" between necronomiconomics and vampirism isn't nearly as bad as people think. Honestly, if you're running Master of Arms (the level 1 skill gives a 12 brittle buff with 4 health regen, and the level 2 skill's proc, "walk it off" gives 10 (!) regen) and smithing (for emerald encrusted gold rings, at 2 regen each), Blood Debt and Curse of Weakness' -1 and -2 regen shouldn't actually put a dent in your regen, unless you're literally spamming Deathly Hex, in which case everything's probably dead anyways.

shaken likes this.
  18. Noxor

Noxor Member

Here a very archetype lich character which is difficult in the beginning but at DLVL10 you might clear a big zoo(100+) within 15 turns.

Buildname : "Epic Lich of DCBA" (DCBA=Deathly/Chemical/Biological/Atomar)

-Unarmed
    -Vampire
    -Fleshsmithing
    -Necronomiconomics
    -Magic Training
    -Leywalker
    -Wandlore

-LVL2: 1 point in fleshsmithing for healing
    -LVL3-8: Unarmed for making some damage and pushing monsters away
    -max the Wandlore for the aetheral damage bonus and encrust your book/shield with 2x +5righteous/necromantic resistance
    -max Necronomiconomics
    -one point in laywalking to avoid heavy alcoholism
    -max fleshsmithing for more HP, sausaging single monsters and support the rift with heavy poison
    -for the late-game you just increase the power of "Tenebrous Rift" with enhancing Magic Training/Leywalker/Vampire
    -with wandlore you can build "The bomb"

You can easily stay in a single rift for a short time (Nec Res might be 15+).
    It's pure mass destruction. You might use a magic reducing armour or shield for better defense/resistence and still have enough power.
    Highly recommended Tome: Cloud Formations for confusing monsters.
    With Unarmed you are able to push monsters into the Rift. Very funny.
    Don't care about the debuffs with the "Tenebrous Rift".
    (There are variations in the skilling order possible depending on early "lucky loots")

OmniNegro and Kazeto like this.
  19. Gaidren

Gaidren Member

Great synergy between Magical Law and several things:
    Bankster (ML can remove the debuffs)
    Vegan (same as above)
    Piracy (ML can reset the cooldown on Swashbuckling, meaning as long as you have mana you can be immune to melee)