Best Synergies

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by FaultyClockwork, Aug 3, 2012.

1. Hey folks,

I've been finding the amount of choices for character creation in the game kind of insane. I want to try a load of different stuff but if I want to try, say, Warlockery or Tourist or Emomancy or whatever, I'm never sure what synergizes well with them. So I'm wondering if any of you could point me to some of the good synergies in the game. Not necessarily munchkiny, but still good.

2. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Rogue Scientist synergises with Wand Lore and Alchemy.
    Clockwork Knight synergises with Tinkering and Smithing.
    Ley Walker synergises with any skill tree that uses a lot of mana.
    Ditto Blood Magic.
    Perception synergises with Wand Lore, Alchemy, Smithing, and Tinkering.
    Piracy synergises with Wand Lore and Alchemy.
    Psionics synergises well with any non-magic skill trees.
    Killer Vegan synergises with Blood Magic.
    Etc., etc.

The point is, many things synergise with other things. It's up to you to find ways to make things work together, and while we can help, it would be easier if we knew what kind of character is it that you want to create.

3. I'm into warrior/mages and warrior/rogues. I generally prefer hybrids that smack stuff. I'm interested in the new skills from the expansion pack.

4. Shwqa

Shwqa Member

Unarmed+ Tinkering+Artful Dodger+Perception. You become an unstoppable killing machine at around level 15.

Doc Gelegentlich likes this.
  5. What items are you specifically looking to tinker with that build?

6. Shwqa

Shwqa Member

Bolts! mountains and mountains of bolts! plus encrusting your boots with rockets boots (its everything you ever needed) for an extra 5:dodge: and your crossbow with 5:dmg_aethereal::dmg_righteous:+ proc to blind.

Plus Clockwork rail launcher is really amazing. 24:dmg_piercing: with a 100% of dealing an extra 24ish damage+ 15% of knockback and stun. keeping making them until you get one with a decent amount of :dmg_aethereal: and/or :dmg_righteous:

7. TheKirkUnited

TheKirkUnited Member

Playing a gish right now with some interesting synergies.

Egyptian Magic
    Blood Magic
    Leylines
    Polearms
    Smithing
    Armor Mastery
    Archaeology

You could probably swap out armor for something else, I found that it makes the first floor much easier. Leylines and blood magic power Egyptian which uses a lot of thirsty buffs. Stack as many as you can afford and drop sandstorm for crazy stuff.

Shwqa likes this.
  8. Stakhanov

Stakhanov Member

I think all of the new skills fit together. Paranormal Investigator's last ability interacts with Egyptian Magics , which gives Banksters more money when their debuffs occur ; those can be converted with Communism , or transfered with Magic Law , which also resets cooldowns. Then all you need is Polearms for melee or repel power , and Tourist for summons and failsafes.

9. Thank you for the support ya'll. I'm going to try Kirk's gish build. My poor Shediggle of Dredmor died to an evil clone in a wizardland, so I need a new character. :(

10. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Member

Unarmed
    Necro
    Archaeology
    Artful Dodger
    Magic Training or Blood Magic

2 other skills that you feel like playing, preferably one that gives you a healing spell, like Fleshsmithing. Or a skill to further supplement Necro mana. Throwing is a good possibility also.

With this build, you dont get much armor absorption since you need lighter armor to keep your spell power. But you should have a decent amount of dodge and block. Use Necro to wipe out mobs and pick off small enemies, then melee enemies with double tome powers. A book of clouds is recommend for the AOE confuse. Necro tomes are good for early game by giving you 1 necro resist.

11. What synergizes with Bankster and/or Paranormal Investigator that's noob friendly?

12. If you want a rogue build with a sideline in beating stuff up hand-to-hand, you might try the build with which I had my first win. There's a thread here, as well as some thoughts on strategy with that build. (It doesn't have any of the Wizardlands skills, of course, but you could swap out Rogue Scientist for one of the new skills: maybe Paranormal Investigator?)

It's pretty straightforward: learn how tinkering works, make bolts and a cool crossbow, kick stuff, turn artifacts into XP, max out your dodge and become unhittable. I enjoyed it.

13. Shwqa

Shwqa Member

Paranormal goes well with all crafting skill trees because it gives you an unlimited amount of reciepes. It works well against corruption monsters because you can use skeptism on them (don't use it durning monster zoos or you won't be able to complete the zoo).

Bankster works well with 100 block melee builds. You can take insurcance on yourself and take the beating. You can cutting your damage in half and then your block will cut it by more than half again. Also one of my favorite tricks with bankster is to abuse it the first floor but taking out a loan near vending machines and buy everything you can. If you get the debuff it doesn't matter but you didn't have any money to begin with. It also works well with can clears a debuff skill like the one in communism, magical law, or emomancy.

14. So Paranormal could maybe function well with Rogue Scientist, Alchemy and Tinkering, for example? Would like:

Paranormal
    Rogue Scientist
    Alchemy
    Tinkering
    Archeology
    Bankster
    Emomancy

Work?

15. bwg2021

bwg2021 Member

Try This:
    Master of arms
    Demonologist
    Blood Mage
    Polearms
    Sheilds

Demonologist's Celestial circle + Master of arms Procs + Sheilds procs = health regen @ 1 point per turn and block usually ~100

Polearm's defensive stance helps you to better deal with monsters when surrounded

Blood mage fuels Celestial circle

And if i understand correctly you could add the communist skill in the mix and use socialized healthcare for an additional 1 point of health per turn.

There is much more going on in this skill mix than i have outlined here im just feeling a little too lazy to list everything.
    If you can recommend ways to make this build better Please Feel Free

16. bwg2021

bwg2021 Member

I think that paranormal investigator would do better in a build like this:
    Clockwork knight
    Tinkering
    Perception

Paranormal investigator would allow access to alchemy which would allow a heavy build/ tank to make health and mana potions the Xeno chemistry skill would also allow you to temporary boost your alchemy skill with potions of alchemical inspiration.

I think Paranormal investigator would also do well in a promethean magic build (because of the mana potions)

17. Thanks for all the help guys. I appreciate it.

BWG, would you do:

Clockwork
    Paranormal
    Perception
    Tinkering
    Archeology
    Axes
    Dual-Wield/Shield

Or something along those lines?

18. bwg2021

bwg2021 Member

That sounds pretty good except you don't have a way to heal besides food Until you get plus 1 alchemy and all the ingredients for a health potion. You could try communist for the socialized healthcare.

19. Can you skip over Perception or is it vital? I actually don't know what the tree is like.

20. bwg2021

bwg2021 Member

Perception's lucky find will help you craft stuff by providing some hard to find crafting items and also give you some good equipment at higher levels. For more ideas here is the build im using right now:

Polearms
    sheilds
    master of arms
    tinkering
    battle geology
    demonologist
    communist