Best melee weapon skill for rogues?

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by Mashirafen, Jan 9, 2012.

1. By bonus, I am assuming that you mean, the passive boosts of each skill tree level? Only reason I am asking/confused still, is that my crit % was so high while having a max axe tree, but wielding a staff. And I didnt bother checking the stat, I was just getting a ton of crit's maybe I was coincidentally lucky. I also almost NEVER missed with the golden crossbow. I did take the assassination line as well, so maybe that is what I was getting the crit% boosts from while wielding the staff.

Thanks for clarifying all this, that is really helpful

2. Sniktch

Sniktch Member

Assassination provides a healthy crit buff, yes. I'm assuming you were also using Evil Chest gear? if so, you may have had a few pieces with high bonuses to critical chance - I've seen Rift Axes with 10 crit before, which means at least a +8 on that one stat.

3. JunkRamen

JunkRamen Member

yes i mean from the tree

4. TheMagpie

TheMagpie Member

Maces feel like the best melee weapon to go with for Rogues playing that keep away game, gives you a lot of tools to get away from a bad situation and enough damage punch through single enemies in a melee. Things to consider though, considering that your skill list looks more on the side of shooting with melee as an afterthought:

-Assassination procs on melee hits, you can swap this out for a skill that's not too dependent on melee like Blocking, Master of Arms. Piracy(Swashbuckling and Corsair are good ways to avoid ambushes) or a spell tree like Fleshsmithing(survival, corpse bombs and gas effects) and Golemancy(set up chokepoints and traps)
    -Berserker Rage's Killing Blow turns all of your shots into crits until you swing your melee weapon(for now).

5. That is awesome!

6. TheMagpie

TheMagpie Member

It also doesn't get consumed when countering so Piracy's Swashbuckling gives you extra mileage as well.

7. Mashirafen

Mashirafen Member

Yeah, that was the way I was thinking. I was planning on focussing on shooting and traps for the most part, with melee just there to finish enemies off and as a backup.

Infinite crit shots eh? Sounds good to me.

Thanks for the help everyone!

8. JunkRamen

JunkRamen Member

I wouldn't rely too much on the infinite crit shots, it's clearly a bug.

But, while you're abusing that, note that you can also abuse Fell Truffles and other items/effects with similar "per hit" mechanics, as long as they provide you with something that affects your shots. Potion of Midas won't work, but Venomous Infusion will. Fell Truffle happens to be particularly effective since you can get it on floor 1 and it provides a ton of damage early game.

9. Null

Null Will Mod for Digglebucks

Infinite crits are much better with thrown than crossbows because you'll have a ton more mundane damage for the crit to affect.

10. TheMagpie

TheMagpie Member

You can be sure it'll be gone someday. For me I just got it on the side because my Crossbow dude was more Warrior with a side of shooting.

I would have gone with throwing but for some reason the recovery rate for Javelins and Nzzapa-zzaps seems pretty low, tossing 10 Javelins and I'd recover 2 or 3, but having 6 Grenades I get to recover 7 out of 10 tosses. Not to mention the throwing skill tree is pretty subpar. Monster Toss is no Crossbow Blast.

A little offtopic but I have this small notion that Crossbow Blast could be replaced with a shot that penetrates X amount of targets to reach a tile/target and Monster Toss/Throwing Skill could be replaced by a shot that knocks back all enemies in an explosive blast by 1 tile for explosives and/or 1 enemy 2-3 tiles back for throwing axes, knives and spears.

11. I was playing around with crossbows last night after this, made a GR character and Vegan + Crossbow is also a green light you can kill all the animals you want with your crossbow and level up fast, IDK what the normal rate is, but I cleared floor 1 and I am level 5 already. I may start over though because I forgot that ammo recovery doesnt work if you shoot on the same tile (recovered bolts dont stack) and also I took Shield mastery which looks to be about useless for this character. Maybe I'll just let the dungeon take care of me and then start over :D

But yeah, killing all the monsters with bolts with Killer Vegan is great