Been A While-A few questions

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by deathknight1728, Nov 30, 2012.

1. I bought this game and the expansion a while back from Steam. I have a few questions as I am considering getting the game from steam again (lost my account on steam).

1-I have a mac and want to run this game, will I be able to play it on steam on a mac or will I have to run via windows? I figured I might be able to because it has the windows and mac icons.

2-Is it possible to play an oldschool type fighter that just uses melee weapons and an occasional use of aoe attacks. I want to use the terrain as a way of limiting the number of enemies I face at once.

Anyone could answer these questions, Id be glad.

2. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Member

don't know about 1 but for 2, definitely if you pick the right skills! Hybrids tend to do better as they are more flexible, but an all-in warrior can be very powerful.

3. jeremywc

jeremywc Member

The Steam version runs on Windows, Mac, and Linux. :)

4. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

The answer to your second question is "yes". It's all dependent on your skill trees, so if you choose the right ones, it is possible.

A word of warning, though. Playing a character without any movement skills and ranged attacks (and likely no renewable healing sources, if my guess about your intent is correct) is really difficult, and by that I mean "let's play Dwarf Fortress" difficult.

5. Urthdigger

Urthdigger Member

The issue with #2 is less enemies surrounding you (You can indeed use terrain effectively to counter that), it's more the fact that if a ranged enemy is 5 squares away from you, it's going to get 4 free hits in as you close in. To the same point, if a melee enemy is 5 squares away from you, you COULD spend that time pelting him from range. For this reason, I recommend keeping some throwing weapons on hand (even the lowly softball). Throwing weapons benefit from increased damage bonus, unlike crossbows (Also if you actually take the skill, it's a warrior skill). You could simply charge into melee, and that may work to get you rather far down into the dungeons, but good luck beating Dredmor that way.

Another issue is that eventually you reach monsters that can corrupt your gear. The good news is they only corrupt artifacts. The bad news is that artifacts are likely to comprise a fair amount of your set by the time you reach them. Artifacts are commonly found as rewards, either from islands in the middle of water, Inconsequentia, or clearing a monster zoo.You can also turn any regular item into an artifact by using it on an altar of krong. Artifacts are your basic way to get resistances, as well as add elemental damage to your attacks. Now, you have two ways to deal with corrupting mobs: Either stay out of range by pelting them from a distance, or simply don't use any artifacts. For the latter, I'd highly recommend you take the Smithing skill so you can try and make the best non-artifact gear instead of hoping to stumble across it. A katana or two and all the steel armor you can make should hopefully keep you somewhat safe.