Auto-Save

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by casualsax, Jul 14, 2011.

1. casualsax

casualsax Member

Until the bugs get worked out, and maybe even after, it would be nice if the game auto-saved every 10 ticks. The saves would be deleted upon death/save-and-quit options.

2. kbe

kbe Member

They should just allow slot saving and each character has an ID so if that character dies it wipes all saves with that particular ID, but having multiple saves means if the game just randomly closes your not loosing everything since right now it's just one slot per character, with non permanent death this would be very handy if your save goes corrupt too because you'll have others to go back to.

*edit* they could also just have two play modes, one offline can do whatever if you want to cheat your only hurting yourself and leaderboards are personal, then they could have online were all saving is done server side, people can't cheat and they could do backups constantly.

Unno if either of these are viable options, to be honest it'd be fine if they managed to fix all the crashing bugs.

3. Valygar

Valygar Member

They should do something like this, I've managed to get to level 3 with a mage and the game crashed. No save, nothing, and now I don't know if I should bother to start it again. I can't recommend this game if it crashes every 4-5 hours, with your character wiped as result.

Let us manage our saves, if some people will alt+f4 if they are going to die, it's their problem, but I don't want to lose my characters because the game crashed. Once the game is going allright, you can patch that in again.

4. Greg72

Greg72 Member

I've played for about 17 hours and my roomie near 11, neither of us have had a single crash. It must be a small bug, its definitely not affecting everyone

5. Greg72

Greg72 Member

try uninstalling and changing the directory its installed to, I had an issue with steam and civ 5 like that, switched directories (and drive) and it worked fine

6. casualsax

casualsax Member

I've had issues on two PCs, despite validating and reinstalling. =\ If they weren't so random, I might be able to figure out what was going on.

7. Valygar

Valygar Member

They are probably not small, it happens with most indie games. They can't test the game on lots of different PCs, so the game tend to have some bugs. Specially if the engine is "new", like in this game. You can see there are plenty of reports of this on the forums.

If we could help with a report crash or something, it would be awesome, any way to do this?

8. stretchyman

stretchyman Member

I played for 11 hours, permadeath mode on, finished a zoo room teled to the next stair and it crashed. 11 Hours of gameplay lost made me pretty furious =/

9. afterstar

afterstar Member

Backup your save files once in a while, I recommend every 30minutes.

http://www.gaslampgames.com/forum/discussion/127/a-temporary-solution-to-avoid-losing-your-game-in-case-of-crash#Item_1