ASCII Invasion ~ playtesters requested!

Discussion in 'Mod Releases' started by OneMoreNameless, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Bottweiser

Bottweiser Member

Ah, okay. I was kind of hoping that was the case. Good mod, by the way!

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  2. Vitellozzo

Vitellozzo Member

Maybe I misunderstood, but:
    HOW do you make enemies move more than one step each turn? This is fantastic.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  3. Bottweiser

Bottweiser Member

I know the way Chronomantic Twist (and some other things) does it is just by paralyzing you, so I assume in the Giant Mechanical Axe's case you just have it cast a spell that paralyzes you at the end of your turn.

Vitellozzo and OmniaNigrum like this.
  4. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Several skills trees in mods do this by a whole range of means. Some even involve Grandfather Clocks and Paradoxi.(Plural of paradox.)

Vitellozzo likes this.
  5. Yes, the axe just paralyzes the player for one turn when they hit anything.

Incidentally, and for an unrelated reason (CTD caused by typo), I've just uploaded a new bugfix version.

Vitellozzo and OmniaNigrum like this.
  6. Bottweiser

Bottweiser Member

So... Verdant Elves are immune to sneak attacks- does that mean any attack when they're not hostile towards you? Because I'm using a Vegan character and it would seem that it's impossible to kill it because it can't aggro me. It's the last enemy in a monster zoo x.x

7. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Shoot it. Throw something. There is always a way to kill.

8. Bottweiser

Bottweiser Member

Shooting and throwing does nothing, traps do nothing, AoE things such as noxious brimstone flask and acidical projector do nothing, abilities like rocket jump and rocket-powered punch do nothing. Pets and charmed enemies do nothing, tentacular wand does nothing. I have tried many things, and nothing has done a thing to them.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  9. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

It's not that things do "nothing", it's that you need to either hit them with damage that is higher than 100 at once or debuff their health until they die. Alternatively, charming the elf and allowing it to cast a spell on any enemy (90% of the time it casts anything, it gives them a ridiculously huge debuff), and then hitting it, will do the job.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  10. Stakhanov

Stakhanov Member

I can confirm that playing as vegan will generate hordes of passive , invincible verdant elves in a level 3 monster zoo. This should be fixed as there is no realistic way to get rid of them without forfeiting the monster zoo trophy. Also , charmed monsters do not cast spells.

OmniaNigrum and Vitellozzo like this.
  11. Kazuhiro

Kazuhiro Member

I just thought of a workaround. Hit them with Polymorphic Injunction or Skepticism. Unless they've got 100 magic resist too?

Kazeto and OmniaNigrum like this.
  12. Vitellozzo

Vitellozzo Member

Maybe make Verdant Elves taxa="vegetable"?
    This should fix this singularity, while not changing the whole idea.

Kazeto and OmniaNigrum like this.
  13. My thoughts on Verdant Elves: I never played a vegan, even before I wrote this mod. The impression I had them of them from forum posts was that they tended to exploit the limited game mechanics to just kill everything anyway without punishment and, if anything, more safely than non-Vegans. With this in mind, a monster that vegans are forced to actually play nice with sounds like a positive inclusion - though I'll admit unplanned. Missing out on a couple of monster zoo rewards is an annoying downside, but a rather minor one in the long run. Changing their taxa as a workaround would feel 'ugly' and cause other minor illogical spell issues. I'm more inclined to leave them as is, and sucks slightly to be you Vegans, honestly.

The fact that their debuff doesn't kick in when charmed is a core game bug, naturally. IIRC I only super-buffed the Verdant Elves' damage resistance so polymorph spells should work as usual.

14. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Why not just add a proc effect which would trigger when the Verdant Elves are hit, which would have a small chance (10%, let's say) to do the same thing as their usual debuff? It shouldn't change the balance much because most players wouldn't even see it (the elves would debuff themselves before that), but that means after hitting a friendly Verdant Elf 10 or so times the monster would get debuffed.

An anti-frustration feature of sorts...

OmniaNigrum and Vitellozzo like this.
  15. Vitellozzo

Vitellozzo Member

The paradise of auto-debuffing.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  16. Add a proc effect to what? AFAIK it's not possible within DoD's modding unless you feel like manually tagging every single weapon from the core game with a taxa-restricted spell effect. Buff triggers can't be directly given to monsters, monsters can't cast spells unless they're hostile towards the player, and hostility towards the player generally doesn't change from passive unless the monster actually takes damage.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  17. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

To Killer Vegan. It's the only skill tree with this problem, and thus the only place where you would need such a thing.

Sure, it requires changing the core files, but it's still just one file and you could make it into a "hotfix" for people who don't like this problem.

Kazuhiro and OmniaNigrum like this.
  18. Stakhanov

Stakhanov Member

Invincible monsters are bad design. You can get stuck between passive verdant elves with no way out if you didn't loot a spatial instability potion. Besides , I don't think this affects just the vegans - there's a chance for any spawned verdant elf to be passive and thus invincible.

None of this would happen if verdant elves only blocked sneak attacks.

Essence and OmniaNigrum like this.
  19. Vitellozzo

Vitellozzo Member

Define sneak attack, then.

OmniaNigrum and Kazeto like this.
  20. Kazuhiro

Kazuhiro Member

I actually LOVE this. A "monster that Vegans actually have to play nice with."

Kazeto's idea is perfect. A way for Vegans to slowly and systematically kill said monsters that they're supposed to play nice with, so that you'd never do it offhandedly--only when it's absolutely safe i.e. it won't affect most meaningful situations.

Vitellozzo, OmniaNigrum and Kazeto like this.