ASCII Invasion ~ playtesters requested!

Discussion in 'Mod Releases' started by OneMoreNameless, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

If it's a room thing, it's not CES. There's no rooms.xml in CES.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  2. Kazuhiro

Kazuhiro Member

Add me to the list of people who think Yeek Alchemists are hilarious.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  3. I checked the rooms.xml files of ASCII Invasion and Roguish Renovation and found that I'd used an identical object id to that mod in a script. I've changed my few ids to less generic terms and re-uploaded as 1.3b. Hopefully this should fix the compatibility issue.

OmniaNigrum and Essence like this.
  4. Palmito

Palmito Member

It's still CTD. Roguish Renovation cause me the same problem but this is not happening with other mods that also have that file. And I am talking about running ASCII invasion 1.3b alone and without RoguishRenovation or other mods. If you need something of me, you can ask. Maybe I can help with something to solve this. Anyway ASCII invasion 1.2 works fine.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  5. >_< Steam or non-Steam? 1.1.2 or beta?

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  6. Palmito

Palmito Member

steam, complete, 1.1.2

edit: Windows xp

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  7. Try closing Steam and running DoD's exe directly from your steamapps folder, see if that makes any difference.

If there's anybody having this problem who doesn't mind spoilers or some tedium, here's something that could help identify what's causing it: Rename the current rooms.xml file to something else (eg. roomsNOPE.xml) then create a new text file called rooms.xml with just the <roomdb> and </roomdb> tags. Copy just the first 6 or so rooms over from the old file to the new one, save it, then boot up DoD with the mod loaded and start a new game. If it works, great! Copy the next 6 rooms over. If it doesn't, delete the last 6 rooms and then add them one by one, quickly starting up a new game after each. If the game crashes after adding a specific room, note down the name and leave it out. If I'm lucky and it is just a particular room or two causing the issues, this process should find them relatively easily. Otherwise, well, at least we'll have some more clues.

OmniaNigrum and Palmito like this.
  8. Palmito

Palmito Member

Excelent idea!

This is the room. I am 100% sure.

<room width="14" height="13" name="Trapped Tomb" >
    </room>

9. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

Pretty sure the height on that room should be 14.

OmniaNigrum and Palmito like this.
  10. ... or rather, there was an extra row of wall at the bottom for no sensible reason whatsoever. But yes, I've fixed the room and re-uploaded as 1.3c. Hopefully this works now. Huge thank you to Palmito for taking the time to find it!

OmniaNigrum, Essence and Palmito like this.
  11. Palmito

Palmito Member

The mod is working now!. :D

12. Kazuhiro

Kazuhiro Member

Hi! Just wanted to say that I lost a character that I was really attached to because a "platoon" of Fallen Wizards appeared, causing me to max out my Freed Souls stacks on level 2.

You bastard.

OmniaNigrum and mining like this.
  13. That, uh, that is not something that I had considered when changing to automatic counting / summoning. I'll fix it in the next version so that the Fallen boss fight only occurs after you've killed at least one (base floor 10) Fallen Rogue.

OmniaNigrum and mining like this.
  14. Palmito

Palmito Member

I died thanks to V in floor 9. He transformed me into another V(for 5 turns, maybe?) and I flew over lava to fall down right there. I was playing with going rogue and permanent death. And this was my build: Tinkering, Alchemy, Wand Lore, Smithing,
    Clockwork Knight, Rogue Scientist and perception. The mod and the debuffs are great. The only technical problem I suffered was with Verdant Elf in the 2d floor, he has one spell that CTD. Then, there are some monsters that gave me to much exp unbalancing the linear progresion(I think that The kraken gave me like +4000exp(2d,3d,4th floor?), Omnipotent vortex like +4800, etc and even +800 in low levels is too much.). The most common bug is the overlap of the character with a monster on a common terrain(or even over a door with the help of Qzlyuoptacer). Anyway, thanks for the mod.

PS: How about making the Adorable Puppy passive?

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  15. 1.4 is up. This time you get items. Lots of them, with cool shiny cunning effects, but a special shout out here has to go to the Potion of Genocide for taking up over SEVEN HUNDRED <spell>s and nearly two hours of my time (not including a break to avoid RSI) copy/paste/editting after I'd tested a proof of concept for a single monster.

Not mentioned in the OP, but I also 'fixed' the Fallen boss fight and shaved away exp from some monsters and minibosses. I felt at first that defeating the more annoying foes (eg. Hill Roots) or tougher minibosses (eg. the Kraken) deserved more exp as a reward, but there are rather a lot of them compared to the core game and NTTG can exagerate the bonuses further, so it's probably more straightforward if they don't.

Did this occur just once, or regularly? Were any other enemies nearby? Can you remember which, if any, other spells you saw the Verdant Elf cast successfully? Were you using any other mods? Regarding the player/monster overlap, that's an problem that comes up not uncommonly even in the unmodded game; the player is treated specially compared to monsters, and so gets ignored for all kinds of empty space checks. And unfortunately, it's not possible to always spawn a particular monster passive unless you edit core game skill files - something I'd rather not do for ease of use.

OmniaNigrum, Daynab, Essence and 2 others like this.
  16. Palmito

Palmito Member

It crashed me like 3 times. He was alone. He could cast successfully some debuffs and close range spells to me. I was using FaxPax and Swashbucklers.

These are the only things I remember. Later I'll test the mod again and see if this is still happening with 1.4, and, if it does, I'll try to take some notes.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  17. 1.4b is up. It's a quick bugfix for three reproducible errors I noticed on my last playthrough. Broke Elfs no longer CTD when casting several turns in a row, the Sorceress' "Hunted" spell now works on the player again (I don't know when/how I managed to mess that up), and Giant Mecha corpses can't basically ruin your character by applying their slowdown effect to you when standing on their corpses right after killing them. If the regular paralysis happens to you try saving, quitting and reloading the game as that fortunately cancelled it for my character.

No progress on any other known issues so far. I still haven't been able to reproduce Tied Up not appearing, but I have noticed a couple of other spell effects that use supposedly irresistible damage-over-time triggers (Doomed and Ceiling Eye Vision) not happening once or twice during a full playthrough, which I suspect is part of the same problem. I haven't managed to actually reproduce either of those in various situations using debug mode either so I have no friggin' clue what's going on with this.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  18. The final major version 1.5 is up. The two 'new' (actually modified and uncommented) monsters are the Dar Blademaster and the Elfephant. The problem with resistable="0" dots not occuring I've hopefully sidestepped just by copy/pasting requirebuff="1" triggers for each turn of each buff that used them. (Not counting the 500 turn durations for each individually genocidable monster because ... seriously.) Clever Mimics shouldn't cause any more problems now that I've swapped the wall creation thing to just give them a graphically indentical halo of a fountain instead. And it turns out that Qthingzaps' (yes, that is how I actually spell them in my notes) wall summoning spell appears to work fine with destructible walls in normal gameplay after all, the CTDs I was experiencing presumably coming from some glitch with the -testroom flag.

OmniaNigrum, Vitellozzo and Essence like this.
  19. Bottweiser

Bottweiser Member

I have no idea if it's intentional or not, but every enemy is getting several turns to my one every time I attack. It just started at some point on the second floor, but every time I attack now they're getting 3 turns in a row to do whatever.

Also, the Giant Mechanical Axe seems overpowered. It's way too easy to get, requiring only 4 tinkering and 2 smithing, and using only 2 steel and a few bronze/brass while being stronger than the clockwork ravager. I may have been a little on the lucky side, but I got my first one before I finished the first floor and my second one about halfway through the second floor.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  20. These two facts are both deliberate and related, and I'll give you one guess as to how. ;)

Kazuhiro and OmniaNigrum like this.