Are you all from the UK?

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by Lord Blade, Jul 17, 2011.

1. Lord Blade

Lord Blade Member

I keep seeing videos being posted, and the narrators always seem to be English or Scottish... I'm sure I heard a Welshman in there somewhere too. :p

2. Halaku

Halaku Member

USA here, bit to busy playing to post videos, gotta love a humorous dungeon crawl.

3. TopHatCat

TopHatCat Member

I am my good Gentlemanly Sir.

But I lack any videos >.>

4. FredeGail

FredeGail Member

Denmark!

5. Laml

Laml Member

France. Great to make stupid grammatical mistakes when I want to write something while being half-asleep. But pretty useful with all the cheeses and wines that are in the game \o/

6. Lord Blade

Lord Blade Member

I'm a Canuk myself. Though I'm part Brit too (from my dad's side).
    Sadly, I've lost a lot of the accent after spending most of my life in Canada. :(

Though my friends all tell me I sound British. :p

7. MikeW

MikeW Member

England here, born and raised. No videos though, play on my own, behind my laptop screen :3

8. Serith

Serith Member

USA here. No videos, though I did want to. (Never done them before. No clue where to start.)

9. jareddm

jareddm Member

USA here

10. BilbyCoder

BilbyCoder Member

If you've seen the Many Deaths of Barry... Australian

And Serith, start with a concept. I'd never done a Lets play and I've enjoyed quite a few, particularly Giant Bomb's play of Persona 4 and the Terraria game currently ongoing with Total Biscuit and Jesse (who did a wtf is Dungeons of Dredmor).

For me, I'm not good at introducing the game to people, I also realised that watching failure can be as fun as success, and a lot quicker.... so... The Many Deaths of Barry.

But the key thing... first, do a few recordings of your own voice and listen to it. You need to learn how you sound via the microphone and get over how WRONG that is. Then do some recordings over the video for testing purposes. I'm still working at getting the sound balance right.

I'm going to put up a more detailed description of how I do my Let's Play with todays video later if people are interested, and the software and equipment I use.

BilbyCoder.

11. Lokloklok

Lokloklok Member

USA. Looking into streaming.

12. Serith

Serith Member

@BilbyCoder
    Thanks for the advice. I'm curious what software you use actually. I've been messing around with Fraps for it and it just despises DoD for me.

13. Lord Blade

Lord Blade Member

Fraps despises most programs. :p

14. BilbyCoder

BilbyCoder Member

I'v put up information about recording in The Many Deaths of Barry thread, but the way I got fraps to work (and it's the capture program I use) is to have it monitor the desktop and then run DoD in full screen mode.

Apparently there are other ways but I haven't got them to work and the way above seems to be fairly effective.

15. mcbobo

mcbobo Member

Netherlands!! :) I might be the only dutch person active on the forums.

Hmm I'm going to try that BilbyCoder. thanks for the tip :)

16. Aftermath

Aftermath Member

USA here. I've been streaming, but my mic is pretty bad and I'm not very good at filling lots of silence with interesting things.

As far as video though, I've had good results with vdub (recording) and xsplit (streaming). Vdub has some very basic screen capture settings, although getting sound to work with it can be a bigger hassle for some people than fraps.

Otherwise I'd do more or less the same thing as Bilby does, although I throw 100+GB files at vdub all the time without issue. It might be a codec problem that you're seeing (@Bilby)?

17. Hmm-Hmm.

Hmm-Hmm. Member

mcbobo: Well, you're not.. :0P

18. LordIacobus

LordIacobus Member

Another Brit here. :)

I'm one of the Scottish video makers, entertaining you all with my "beautiful" Celtic tones (haha) in my video series here: http://www.youtube.com/user/lordiacobus?feature=mhee#p/c/0691029A814E3129

To Bilby and Aftermath, to let Fraps work properly with DoD, all you need to do is add the "-directx" parameter to the Steam launch options.

When recording, I use Fraps for the video and game audio, and Audacity for my commentary. Works well, I think