OS X Lion Are Wizardlands really meant to be shareable?

Discussion in 'Bugs' started by the_diggler, Aug 6, 2012.

1. the_diggler

the_diggler Member

I have to ask: are Wizardlands really meant to be identical between different machines? Or are you just meant to be able to share the magic word that gets you in, but the wizardland itself is totally different for different people?

If it's the first, then there's a major problem. If I had to guess, it would be a platform issue. I'm playing on the Mac, and looking at the list of wizardlands that people are saving on google docs, and I have gone through twenty or so, and not a single one even vaguely resembles what the person who created the entry described. (Several of the people creating entries seem to be on Linux, the rest seem to be on Windows. I didn't see one person who said that he had created his entry on a Mac.)

2. Null

Null Will Mod for Digglebucks

It is intended that they are sharable. If anything, there's a bug between OS's having different levels.

3. Lucentdepths

Lucentdepths Member

The levels are formed by the seed word, but memory variables are probably applied too which can result in slight variations. For sure however, different operating systems could give different worlds from the same seed as they may handle memory or whatever variables the program is using to generate the level.

I would suggest if we're posting wizardlands we post them by OS, including specific versions for windows maybe if that is different.

4. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

They're intended to be identical, but for some reason aren't completely. Once we find out why they aren't I'm sure it'll be fixed.

5. the_diggler

the_diggler Member

I saw a lot of people saying 'Oh, I saw this but not that, oh it looked kind of like this but not that,' or whatever. "Not completely identical" describes that. What I saw myself was literally nothing that even vaguely resembled what the other users were talking about. Not one had even similar loot, and only rarely were the furnishings even similar.

Either you have two different bugs, one making things that are similar and not identical and one making things that are totally different, or the one bug varies widely in... well, variation.

6. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

I wonder if we're using a Random number generator that is not ours at any point in the process. If so, Wizardlands might be different between OSes. We'll track this down.