Are Brittle Buffs "hit" when you sucessfully counter?

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by The Apprentice, Jul 3, 2012.

1. I did a search, but didn't see an answer. Basically, are buffs like "Radian Aura" or "Offensive Maneuvering" affected if your 'Brow counters?

2. I believe that brittle buffs take a hit each time you would take damage, whether it's from hurting your foot on a door to stepping on a trap to just getting hit. So if you dodge/counter/block/absorb all the damage, it shouldn't affect your buff. ((I'm not 100% sure about this, but I am 85% sure.))

3. Mr_Strange

Mr_Strange Member

Indeed, brittle buffs only decrement when you take damage. High armor value (getting "blocks" all the time) is the best way to keep those buffs around a long time!

4. Thanks to both of you for explaining. I thought Block only reduced damage by a percentage, like 50 or 90% Does it actually stop all damage?

5. Mr_Strange

Mr_Strange Member

It reduces exotic damage by 50%, and regular damage by 75% - but that's often enough to make an attack deal no damage.

6. That... that makes block far better than I thought it was! Block-centric builds are much more appealing, suddenly...

7. Shwqa

Shwqa Member

Only problem with block is that counters go before a block. I believe the order of dice rolls goes

Dodge- if successful then defender takes no damage
    Counter- if successful the attacker get to roll for dodge and counter(?). If the attacker successfully rolls than your counter is null but the defender takes no damage. If the attacker roll is not successful then the attack takes damage and the defender takes no damage.
    Block- if successful then you reduce exotic damage by 50% and regular damage by 75%

OmniNegro likes this.
  8. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

uhh...doesn't matter? because no one cares if you dodge or counter successfully instead of blocking. The only case it can be annoying is when you dodge instead of countering, but that doesn't affect this conversation any.

Marak and TheJadedMieu like this.
  9. Shwqa

Shwqa Member

Well I meant a block heavy build can still take damage from counters.

10. TheJadedMieu

TheJadedMieu Member

I'm fairly sure you can still block an enemy counterattack.