Apple and 5 publishers found guilty of E-Book Price Fixing

Discussion in 'Discussions' started by Haldurson, Jul 11, 2013.

1. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

I know someone who got $1.50, another who got over $200.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  2. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Well, however much it is, it is the fact that they managed to achieve something in that regard that counts.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  3. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

Not really. There's not exactly been a change in ebook prices.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  4. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Which is why I said “something”. They still have a really long way before them if it is to be changed to the way it ought to be, but that is some sort of start, no matter how ... feeble it is.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  5. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

As someone who's been buying e-books, the abusers are primarily specific publishers (in my experience, Penguin was the worst, but there clearly were others). Part of the problem is that Apple, along with certain publishers, were artificially causing prices to be inflated.

Looking at Penguin books, I do see that their prices have gone down, though still they aren't down to prevailing standards.

In my case, I've been reading a lot of discounted and free books. Sales are great and there's a lot of stuff that you can get for free because Amazon is trying to push a lot of newer authors, so they'll give away the first book for free. Also, they have these monthly and daily deals where I've gotten like old Vonnegutt novels and various short story collections and classic Science Fiction books really cheap. IT's like each month a different Vonnegutt book is on sale, so eventually, I'll have a collection on the cheap. But if you want to read older stuff, like Poe, or Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, or H.G. Wells, and so on, you don't have to pay a cent anyway. E-book publishers will TRY to sell you their value-added versions of old classics, but for the most part, there's no reason to pay a cent for them.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
    Kazeto and OmniaNigrum like this.