Anyone want to join a game of Dominions 3?

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by Daynab, Mar 1, 2013.

1. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

The infamous incredibly deep fantasy turn based strategy game.
    I'm just wondering if anybody would be interested in setting up a play by email (yes, really) game.

It's rather fun in multiplayer, I've been playing a couple games with the Gaslamp crew but since play by email is really slow (usually a turn or two at most per day) I wouldn't mind playing another one as well.

We'd need to be at least four, in my opinion.

2. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

Since I've enjoyed Conquest of Elysium, I've been curious enough about the game that I'm willing to dish out the cash to try it. If you give me a bit of time to learn at least the basics, I can't guarantee you won't get a good laugh out of it, instead of something resembling an actual opponent.

3. GP1628

GP1628 Member

If you would prefer a direct connect game instead of PbEM you could use one of the other Dom3 servers.
    www.Dom3Minions.com has some always open player games for direct connect if you can round up a few other people (the always open ones are for 1-4 people). They are often used in IRC chat rooms for blitz games (continual fast turns to try and finish a whole game in a few hours). If you want a bigger game, or other settings, you can just email gandalf@community.net with the settings you want.

4. Daynab

Sounds good. The game comes with a manual that has a tutorial in it, it does a good job of explaining the game. The rest is mainly experience.
    That's cool and thanks for the heads up, but probably not. I don't really want to commit to a few hours and getting four or more people to do it at the same time is a nightmare, heh.

5. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

I'm playing the game now after finishing the tutorial (keep getting interrupted while playing so it's hard). I keep making mistakes with it. I was baffled for a while about why when a leader I hired had 120 leadership, and then later I couldn't add more than 10 soldiers to his army. Turns out the unit I hired was not the one I had been looking at. (I think). Later I foudn out I had been adding my soldiers to the wrong leader so I thought I had made the same mistake again. In other words, I'm having problems dealing with the interface and the unit pictures, and so on. It's not good for someone with my particular visual impairments. But at least I'm learning to be more careful. Similarly, I hired a leader to build temples and laboratories (I thought) but turned out he couldn't do that. So I'm screwing up a lot. The manual is 300 pages, and I didn't particularly want to print the whole thing out, but I may have to because I cant' see playing it without having the manual more easily available, at least until I get more used to the game.

6. Daynab

The UI definitely takes some time to get used to. The army setup screen in particular isn't great.

You should be fine once it clicks, though.

As for laboratories, only units with magic can build it, similarly temples and priest units.

7. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

I figured, and I thought I had created such a unit, but actually I had clicked on the wrong icon.

I agree, that I just have to get used to it.

8. Billick

Billick Member

I'd be interested in playing a MP game. I just picked up the game about a week ago though, so I'm really a noob. I've basically played through the tutorial, and finished that game. I did manage to beat the computer on tutorial difficulty though!

Daynab likes this.
  9. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

Don't worry, I'm a total noob also (and getting absorbed into other things so not having a lot of time to get practice with it). But I'm still willing to try so long as it's pbem (just need to read up on how pbem games work).

10. Daynab

It's pretty effortless with the way I've been playing with the Gaslamp crew. It's managed by a server, you just send your files to it and it returns you the new turn when it's ready.
    I'll explain more when before we play.

I'd like to find some more people though, 3 isn't many.

11. Billick

Billick Member

That sounds good. From what I've been reading, you want an even number, unless it's a big game.

12. Billick

Billick Member

Do we maybe want to post on the Desura forum to pick up some more people?