Anyone for some Doom 2?

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by Hybelkanin, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Hybelkanin

Hybelkanin Member

Seeing the Doom, the roguelike thread inspired me to reinstall my copy of good old Doom 2 for some golden nostalgia!

But then I got to thinking about playing it online (co-op preferrably), and found a couple programs to help me do just that quite easily. So now I've got a Doom 2 co-op game running that's open for anyone to join if it should tickle anyone's interest!

To take part on this glorious adventure you'll need three things:

1. Doom 2 (yep)
    2. Zdoom (Vastly improves Doom 2 with resolutions up to 1920*1080 and free mouse aim like modern shooters, and bunch of other features)
    3. Doom Connector (server browse/host tool for Doom 1+2, Heretic, Eduke32 and more)

If you got all those three and want to come play, launch Zdoom first and configure it so it can find the Doom2.wad file, then close it. Launch Doom Connector, register a user (takes 5 seconds), click Support and Zdoom Setup, and point the program to where it can find Zdoom on your hard drive.

(Optional) Add Hybelkanin on the Buddy List o/

Either track me using the buddy system or search for the server "Vanilla Doom 2 Co-op" I'm running an extra .wad called Doom2coop.wad, all it does is remove the extra weapons and powerups on each level since the MP spawns were put in with deathmatch in mind, ID didn't think about changing that up for Co-op. This extra wad should be downloaded automatically by Doom Connector when you join otherwise it can be found here, it goes in the doom 2 install folder

Chainsaw zombies, or me if you're feeling feisty!

2. AvzinElkein

AvzinElkein Member

I admit I'm a newbie here, and thus might get defeated easily...

3. dbaumgart

dbaumgart Art Director Staff Member

Awesome. No idea if I have any time for this, but if I do...

4. Hybelkanin

Hybelkanin Member

We trying to get this going now with Avzin, however we're giving it a try with GZDoom instead of ZDoom so might have to get that one instead for those interested in joining up. :)

Also it seems Doom Connector isn't able to find the custom .wad file I'm hosting with, will have to go download this manually, and place it in the doom 2 install folder. That custom wad is necessary so all the levels don't load up with deathmatch items and weapons on them. Without it we'd be running around shooting BFG on level 1.

Edit: It's getting late in the land of lutefisk, will try this some more tomorrow! Doom Connector has a buddy list that those of us who want to give this a spin can add eachother on, and lets us see when people are online so feel free to just add me on it, can always try to set something up spontaneously when the opportunity arises.

Lessons learned from tonight, make sure people have the same game version, or it won't work. I had a CD-ROM version 1.6 Doom 2 that I had to copy/paste to an install directory and run with ZDoom / GZDoom, since my awesome 64 bit OS refuses to run those old fashioned .exe's and .bats, and Avzin had the Steam version which I can only presume is 1.9 (last update released for Doom 2) After much mucking about I should be good to go with updated game now for next time.

5. Hybelkanin

Hybelkanin Member

Sorry to bump what has become an old topic like this, but I thought I'd share a quick and basic "How-to" on setting yourself up playing Doom 2 and the like online. The wall of text is slightly large so I shall just link to my blogpost thingie instead, and I hope it can be of help to anyone looking to revisit a golden oldie thats still funny as heck to play today!

We don't need no CoD for our FPS fix'es!

( And I am still very interested in playing this with you lot! I had an awesome run with Blob a couple days ago o/ )