Any way to turn off corruption?

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by Aldin, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Aldin

Aldin Member

Hi guys!

Got DoD a few days ago and I'm enjoying it so far. Haven't really played any Rogue-esque games before so it's been an interesting experience so far.

That being said, I must admit I really dislike the current corruption effect. To be precise, I dislike how it forces me to constantly switch weapons or risk having my equipment degraded. Granted, it only affects weapons for now, but I understand the effect will be extended to include all artifacts in the next patch or so, and I fear this will only add to the micromanagement frustration I'm currently experiencing.

Anyway, what I'm wondering is if there's any way (either by modifying game files or otherwise) to disable it. If not, is there any chance the option to disable it will be included in a future patch, much how there is a permadeath on/off option?

Thanks in advance!

2. J-Factor

J-Factor Member

Open spellDB.xml in .../steamapps/dungeons of dredmor/game/ and edit this:

Code:
    <spell name="Corrupt Equipment" type="target" icon="skills/spells/radiant_aura32.png" wand="0">
    <anim sprite="sprites/sfx/acid_bolt/acid_bolt" frames="3" framerate="80" sfx="missile" />
    <effect type="corrupt" amount="1"/>
    <description text="Used by blobbies to grind your equipment to dust."/>
    <ai hint="target"/>
    </spell>
    Change the above 'effect' line to this:

Code:
    <!-- <effect type="corrupt" amount="1"/> -->
    ...or just delete that line.

Now your equipment won't be corrupted. I'm sure someone will make a mod to this effect.

3. Aldin

Aldin Member

Thanks for that, will give it a try tomorrow! :)

4. Feynt

Feynt Member

That said, it takes part of the fun out of a rogue-like if you remove some of the punishing nature of its mechanics. Annoying as it is to have your uber poker 9000 ruined, it's part of the experience. Live the pain, love the pain, it is your friend! >D

5. Aldin

Aldin Member

I can totally understand that.

For me, though, the punishing nature isn't so much the negative stats, but more the fact that the mechanic can be circumvented by doing something as incredibly tedious as micromanaging your equipment every time you spot a corrupter. Given that I mostly play melee classes and therefore rely a lot on my equipment, and thus have every reason to avoid having my stuff degraded, I know I'll resort to changing my outfit even if it's the more frustrating option of the two.

No doubt this is one of those things that affects newbies more than veterans because we're probably getting unreasonably attached to the stuff we find in our first playthroughs, but it's mostly the prospect of corruption affecting all equipped items that worries me. Still looking forward to this week's patch, though!

6. J-Factor

J-Factor Member

One thing to keep in mind is that only artifacts can be corrupted. Artifacts are items that have randomly generated stats, typically with a unique name similar to 'Blah the Blahy Blah'. If you stick to ordinary weapons/equipment you're safe from corruption. Try to keep all your Krongs on one piece of equipment that's easy to swap out - there's no advantage to spreading your Krongs around.

The expansion will also be adding skills that can remove corruption from items (although admittedly they don't seem worth it).

7. Aldin

Aldin Member

I was under the impression that the first Krong on an item would always be positive, so I have been spreading out my Krongs all over the place because of this. As it turns out, that was a misunderstanding on my part - instead it's the first Krong on ANY item, which explains the negative stat I got on my newly crafted axe last night. Thanks for the heads up!

Either way, it seems the items I find that are currently of any use - weapons and items with resistances - also happen to be artifacts, so a skill that helps keep them pristine does seem interesting (in regards to my playstyle, at least). Having said that, is there any place where one can get a preview of the new skills? Been checking the Dredmor wiki and the beta thread on this site but the most I've found have been names rather than detailed skill descriptions.

8. Feynt

Feynt Member

I believe there is an email address you would request beta access from and they'll send you a key or something to get access to the latest in unstable gaming technology. Krong be praised, may his forge work out the impurities in beta-y fire.