Any mods to allow more skill tree selections?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by dawnbomb, Sep 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dawnbomb

dawnbomb Member

is anyone aware of any mods that increase the possible about of select-able skill trees when starting a character?

clearly im aware it might imbalance the game, but i honestly asumed that such a basic idea would come across SOMEONE over the course of this games life so far, and there would be a mod for it.

of course it would be pretty abusable if it just let you pick everything (that i wasn't going to do anyway) but i asumed it would be balanced with something like skill trees 8+ need a skill point for the very first skill, so the first of every tree isn't applied, or just increase damage scaling (or decrease player stat scaling if that would be do difficult)

IMO a simple mod to allow for more skill tree selects, but skill trees 8+ not having their first skill "learned" right away would be quite balanced, and because you cant get really good skills without actually going down a tree, it wouldn't be to over powered at all.

anyway is there any mods like this? or can it be made? seems fairly simple IMO (even if it might needs to edit hard coded files, unlike most dredmor mods)

2. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

No such thing. It's hard-coded.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  3. dawnbomb

dawnbomb Member

is there anyway a mod can be made like that? im guessing the skill tree max itself is just a variable, then you just gotta mod the skill tree script, to not automatically make the first skill of every tree past tree 7 auto-learned. after that its just a change of the script that makes skills selectable on the hotbar of skills.

unless its actually impossible to mod, hardcoded scripts, but i cant imagine that, unless there hard coding has scripts refering to exact line numbers in other scripts (but as far as im aware, nobody codes like that, as its just horrible)

is it really just a not possible thing? :/

4. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Here:

5. lilystorm

lilystorm Member

Of course it's possible, but anyone that knew how is too busy making supported mods.

Kazeto likes this.
  6. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

It's damn hard-coded. If I have to repeat that once more, I'll set all of you on fire.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  7. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Pretty sure it was sarcasm

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  8. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

I don't know, after having to answer that twice first I lost my ability to recognize sarcasm when it comes to that question. But I promise not to kill anyone when I set them on fire.

9. DungeonDragon

DungeonDragon Member

I guess people don't have a clue what hard coded means :)

OmniaNigrum and Kazeto like this.
  10. Well it's technically true; you could change the hard coding and make a mod that does that.

...you'd pretty much have to be one of the programmers though. In which case it'd be less a mod and more an official patch :p (and I wouldn't count on it being as simple as changing a number somewhere; for one at best that would break the interface on the character selection screen. At worst everything breaks forever.)

OmniaNigrum and Vitellozzo like this.
  11. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Yeah, you'd pretty much have to dissect the game and make your own build. Not really possible to call such thing a mod, really.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  12. Also if you ARE wanting to have eight specific skills, it's probably possible to make a skill that covers ground from two of those, so you'd only need seven to get what you want. (...it's probably even possible to make that BALANCED, although that starts to get more complicated :p Like you could probably make an arcane rogue that gives you a midas skill, a way to pick locks, teleportation, and invisibility--thereby combining Burglary and Mathemagic; but at the cost of eg losing the cursing abilities, and the theft abilities, and so forth. But like combining Necronomiconomics with a decurse in the same skill can't really be balanced :p)

OmniaNigrum and Kazeto like this.
  13. Okay, so let's just clarify what a mod actually is.
    There's a bunch of stuff in the game which shows up as files discreet from the game code itself. There's a number of image files for assorted sprites and icons, and then there's a number of xml files, called Databases, which contain the statistics for every item, room, recipe, monster, spell, and skill in the game. Each expansion is stored in a subfolder (expansion, expansion 1 and expansion 2) containing new images and xml files. A mod can only change or add types of data stored in the databases. Everything else is generally referred to as being "hardcoded", because it's coded into the game's core engine which, currently, cannot be modded.

OmniaNigrum, Jellp and Kazeto like this.
  14. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

So mods can change anything that is hardcoded? Cool thanks! :D

(Kazeto is working out a deal with a necromancer and a pyromancer to burn me while somehow keeping me alive so he can burn me to death later...)

15. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Nah, I know you aren't being serious here so I'm not bothered (because what bothered me was people not checking their facts and/or not reading answers to their own questions they were given). But if anything, I'm worried that Daynab is going to snap some day and kill me; seriously Omni, you are a bad influence when it comes to derailing threads.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  16. lilystorm

lilystorm Member

This is what I meant basically. I mean, I guess it'd be a hack rather than a mod, but I tend to use words for whatever I want.

Kazeto likes this.
  17. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

You know, every time I see your signature, I read it as "Girls can be programmed too." I swear I never intended to read it like that, but that is what I see every damned time. :confused:

Kazeto likes this.
  18. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

They can. But the process is kind of creepy and not exactly legal, so let's leave it at that.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  19. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

To be fair to the fairer gender, everyone is and can be programmed. Gender has nothing to do with that aspect of us. We adapt to situations we encounter. Thus making an encounter is a way of programing a person, or even an animal.

Kazeto likes this.
  20. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Well, I was talking more about prolonged pain-pleasure (of any sort and not necessarily "that", you perverts) conditioning combined with cutting the "programmed" person from the outside world, which usually tends to cause a lot of very bad changes to their minds and is considered inhuman in most countries, but yeah, let's go with your version.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.