Any interest for a community colony?

Discussion in 'Clockwork Empires General' started by mailersmate, Oct 12, 2015.

1. mailersmate

mailersmate Member

Hey folks

I was wondering if anyone had any interest in building a community colony in the next stable build? The last one seemed pretty good all round and we're got quite a bit of progress to play with since then.

Let me know in the thread, with any of the following that you care about!

- Biome preference
    - Loadout preference
    - turn length preference
    - Dorfing preferences (we can bully each other in game :) Progress!)
    - Pedantry regarding the correct term for dorfing in a game with no dorfs

Obviously I am wanting a turn if this gets off the ground. As before this initial thread'll be for managing the rules ect.

Player List (post for a turn!)

me :)
    Alephred (skipping all future turns until further notice)
    razrien
    Wolfram Hatlocke (skipping all future turns until further notice)
    redchaostry (skipping all future turns until further notice)
    Lily Phoenix (Skipping one turn)

Xolony rules:

- Temperate Biome
    - Skillful overseers pack
    - All play on stable r44 (otherwise we'll have to nuke the save file)
    - 2 day turn time
    - 3 day cut off for the acknowledgement / finish of turns? (subject to being nice about it. but keeping a pretty fluid game going seems like the right approach)

If you want naming in the initial colonist wave, post about it. Conflicts will be resolved on a first come first served basis.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
    Euel Ball likes this.
  2. Alephred

Alephred Royal Archivist for Queen And Empire

I'm game for a new community colony. I don't want the first turn, however, since I started the last one. I do wonder how we'd going about renaming colonists. We'd probably want to rename the Overseers, instead of the labourers. If there are more names than Overseers, we can either re-name incoming Overseers, or start naming labourers, too.

3. Unforked

Unforked Member

Very tempted, but I think I'll sit this one out. Too busy these days, and I'd prefer a build in which cults can form. Maybe after the military overhaul as well.

Look forward to reading it though!

4. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

Maybe wait until 44?

5. mailersmate

mailersmate Member

Yeah I think playing in stable is the right idea, gives the longest amount of time for developing the colony. It's why I'm asking in advance.

Also, if people want to be peons, I'm not going to stop them.

6. razrien

razrien Member

I'd be on board for release 44.
    I haven't mucked around in the game for a while now, and i'm feeling the itch to play again.
    Feels good when you take a break from a game for a while, and you come back and theres new stuff to mess around with.
    Barbershops? Breweries in the kitchen?
    What is this madness?

7. Rentahamster

Rentahamster Member

Sparta.

Wolfram Hatlocke likes this.
  8. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

I͚͇̓̂̒́̈́̚t̬̼̞̪̼̳̳̮̲̾̂ͩ ̩̙͔̹͓̰ͤ̌ͅm̮̜̹̜̭̽̎ͧä͖̳̭̹̯͔̣̱́̈́̉̂ͥ̅y̲̞̻̗ͬͬ̽̆̔ ͚̰̖̫̹͍̂ͦ͒̋n͓͕̻̟͍͊̊̊̏o̦̟͈̖͍̱ͬͦ͌ͪͫ͑̅̓w̯̬͇̖̓ͬ̈́̇͋͋ͯͦͅ ̜̫͍̓͐ͤ̚b̩̙͆ͣ͂ͥ̊͛͊e̲̰̝̗̼̳̥ͨ͛ͩ̽͂ͅg͕͖̫͒ͩͫ͊̾̆̉̌ͅi̳͖̣̖̭̓̀ͯ͂̈́ͅn̩̥͌ͫ͛̆͂̓͐͌͛

9. I'm interested as well; however, my availability may change due to some recent job offers (Real Life jobs, not CE jobs).

- Biome/Loadout preference - I guess I will defer the choice to the people who start. I have played both available biomes, and several loadouts. Since Rentahamster mentioned military city-state Sparta, how about "Stalwart Supply" loadout for funsies?
    - turn length preference - Not in set days, but I recommend each person play until at least one noteworthy event (i.e. a battle, some otherwordly crisis, etc.) has occurred. Noteworthy enough to mesmerize your fellow Clockworkians when you tell the story during dinner at the pub after work.
    - Dorfing preferences (we can bully each other in game :) Progress!) - Goodnatured renaming of overseers/colonists is standard fare when we tell tall tales around our bandit campfire, provided that rifles are not loaded.
    - Pedantry regarding the correct term for dorfing in a game with no dorfs - You have me at a loss, Sir.

I hope its not too much to ask, but can someone get a cult started?

Edit-per discussions, cult formation is still being tweaked, so how about an insane vicar instead? ;)

Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
  10. redchaostry

redchaostry Member

I look forward to watching the entire community slaughter during the invasion.

Long live the queen. By the Cog!

Attached Files:

potashcar likes this.
  11. Wolg

Wolg Member

Cogging?

12. mailersmate

mailersmate Member

Hey folks. I put a preliminary player list up in the OP. Could people I've question marked confirm / deny they are in?

I think if everyone is in we can make a start.

13. Tikigod

Tikigod Member

Likely won't have the time to throw into taking part, but looking forward to following progress.

Would love to see the colony handled in the temperate region and not the jungle to see how that goes, maybe with the Skilled Overseer package to see how people handle overseer's who already have a proficiency from day 1 but don't have any additional resource/military safety blankets. ;)

I'm assuming one of the general rules to keep it consistent between participants is no altered game balance files are to be used etc?

14. redchaostry

redchaostry Member

Sure I am up for murdering, I mean managing a community colony. Fair warning though, my building layouts are boring squares. Also my work schedule doesn't allow a lot of time to play Sunday-Tuesday. Wed-Fri I have ample time to make an update, Saturday I can probably fit in an update as well.

15. Alephred

Alephred Royal Archivist for Queen And Empire

Well, experience with the previous community game shows that a few days of game time takes about 45 minutes real life time, if we're going to pass the save off at regular timed intervals (or we can pass it off at certain population milestones or something). When your turn comes up, we'll allow a day or two, or word from you that you can't do it right away, and pass to the next person on the list. I think it's reasonable to ask everyone to stick with Alpha 44 (i.e. disable auto-updates to avoid incompatible saves).

16. razrien

razrien Member

Ah cool, just saw that 44 released earlier today. Confirming myself. :D

Lots of new goodies to mess around with.
    I should probably read the release notes before diving in more often.

17. Ok, set my CE to stable branch and opted out of auto-updates.

18. mailersmate

mailersmate Member

That way madness lies.
    And not the !!FUN!! kind of madness

19. razrien

razrien Member

I think our ground rules from last time were pretty fair.
    Basically no 'intentionally' screwing up the colony or purposefully getting everyone killed.
    (that generally happens on its own :D )

Also this time around i'd like to perhaps add something about the job list, which got pretty crazy last time.
    Something like "Try not to have too many projects/jobs going at once, so the overseer after you doesn't have to waste a day of his/her time waiting for it to clear up."
    The colonists are getting quicker and more efficient though, so hopefully it won't be as much of a thing as it was last time.

Maby we could also have a sort of loose agreement on what we need to build first?
    I mean, everyone can build whatever they want, but things might be a little less chaotic if we had 'guidelines' or some sort of checklist in the OP to make sure we're covered?
    Something like
    • food
    • wood
    • kitchen
    ..that sorta thing.
    Or heck, perhaps each of us could assign ourselves in charge of something?
    Like one of us be in charge of foodstuffs, another person oversees wood.. etc

I dunno, just throwing ideas out there.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
  20. mailersmate

mailersmate Member

2015-10-30_00001.jpg
    New Antipodia is founded!
    Day 1 (colonial calender)
    Dear diary, we've arrived! The journey was dreadful, passing over frozen mountains and savage seas. Half of us still have colds. The imperial airship stopped here after an argument with the captain over the correct use of a compass. I have to say that I was not aware of it's medical applications!

I took a look around while the crew threw our luggage down after us, the scoundrels! Where ever we are seems like a decent colony site that can provide for all our immediate needs and we have what I suspect will prove to be deposits of clay and zinc, although our naturalist never arrived for departure, so I cannot confirm that.

2015-10-30_00002.jpg

My immediate goal has been to secure a food supply for my fellow colonists, so we have established farm plots and set up blueprints for a basic kitchen. Whenever the idler labours sent by foot arrive we'll be up to our ears in maize! My administrative genius knows no bounds! Unfortunately our resident farming expert has, under pressure, cracked and revealed himself to be a blacksmith on the run. With no farmers on hand, I've put both of our smiths to work recreating the agricultural revolution. I expect this to be complete in a day or two.

2015-10-30_00003.jpg

Death and malady stalk the land! A colonist has been attacked, by a cow thing of hideous aspect. (edit I've been informed they always look like that). Seeing the dire threat for what it was, I sent in our proud military who slew the beast. It was a glorious battle that will be remembered forever!

2015-10-30_00004.jpg
    Day 2 (colonial calender)
    We continue to construct our kitchen and woodworker. Most of us are engaged in the low class labour of mining and forestry since our inferiors are yet to turn up. In order to assist us in locating ores and other materials in the future, I've planned out a naturalist's office.

2015-10-30_00006.jpg

Dawn of the third day
    Our woodworks building is all but complete! I leave this map of the colony for future administrators:

2015-10-30_00005.jpg

And thats me. For the next player, the woodwork's is likely to complete in seconds after loading. I also gave our NCO some extra assignments after seeing him idling around like some miscreant. Ohh and our farmers are assigned solely to farming at the moment.

I've tried to minimalise the number of jobs active going into the next turn. There shouldn't be too much clutter outside of the office.

Attached Files:

Daynab and Unforked like this.