Anvil of Krong details

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by Arphahat, Jul 16, 2011.

1. Arphahat

Arphahat Member

Is it completely random, or is there a way to determine / affect the outcome of using the anvil of Krong? Sometimes I get good things, other times it is cursed. Are there some items that are always going to be ruined?

2. VladdyLulz

VladdyLulz Member

As I've seen it, it seems like items with more bonuses on them, have less of a chance of Krong being pleased, and buffing it further. I've never had him deny me just a basic item before. As a test, I saved in front of one, then kept attempting to enchant an item, by ctrl+alt+del'ing out, and after a few tries, he did indeed buff it. What the formula is, I am not sure, but the more stuff is on it, the harder it is to get a positive outcome.

3. Wallach

Wallach Member

Are there items that cannot be modified by an anvil? I put a mage robe on one - I seemed like it had a unique name - and even though it said Krong was pleased the item was not modified in any fashion.

4. VladdyLulz

VladdyLulz Member

There might be an enchantment cap. That, or unique equipment can't be enchanted further, I'm not sure. I haven't tested it with unique equipment yet. I'll be sure to do that.

5. Rikkard

Rikkard Member

I had a ring, not sure if it was unique or anything, but it had every attack type on it. Doubt there is a cap.

6. Zyzone

Zyzone Member

So far I've enchanted my Axe 7 or so times. I'm sure I've just been lucky ( or it's a glitch). If there is a enchant cap it's more than 7 enchants

Edit: http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/4927/dodkrongaxe.jpg

7. NefariousKoel

NefariousKoel Member

I think it's totally random whether you get it or not. I've had basic first-time items get cursed and buffed both. Same with previously buffed/cursed ones.

Only difference I noticed were the bonuses and penalties added. On items with more original bonuses/penalties, generally higher ranked ones, it tends to give more.

8. 7Soul

7Soul Member

Well today I was trying to roll some good status on a Knightly Sword by ctrl+alt+del'ing, but I would aways get some crappy status like +1 or +2 on something. I re-did it ~30 times, and the stats were aways crappy, and something like 5% were negative. I think it has something to do with the rarity (its a 9 stars sword) or maybe each anvil has its own power level (btw, this anvil was on dungeon level 5)

9. Ganonfro

Ganonfro Member

I have a theory that the higher QUALITY item you're using determines how many buffs it can have on it before Krong might give a curse. I have I believe like... 14 buffs on one of my axes and it's 9/10 stars. Using my archaeologist's mistranslation ability, I can remove the curses and replace them with buffs if I do it a few times. Bearded Axe has I believe a total of +40 from all of the bonus damages on it currently. I also had the recharging the anvil ability to test this further. I think I only had 2 times he cursed the axe, instead of giving it at least a single plus.

Anyways, that's my theory and I'm sticking to it.