Am I being naive for enjoying the game as it is?

Discussion in 'Clockwork Empires General' started by Mikel, Feb 25, 2016.

1. Alavaria

Alavaria Member

The chapel and barber would be a lot less annoying if they just removed the little "colonist was unable to give confession/get healed" thing.

They should have fixed the job spam though.

2. Tikigod

Tikigod Member

I think the current problem with it was actually created as a solution to a more game breaking problem that existed in their initial implementation wasn't it?

Colonists would go to the offices and generate a job request, and would literally just stand there indefinitely until it got completed, if something stopped the office workers from adopting the job, or there was any kind of bug clearing the job, the waiting colonist would be forever stuck.

So now colonists have a timeout duration on waiting before leaving again, with a slight annoyance that the timeout is short enough that a barber mid-conversation is unlikely to make it back in time to adopt the job before the requesting colonists drops the order again.

So it wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't a partial solution at present that serves as a redundancy fallback for those few fringe cases it applies to, that will get polished up when it really matters.

3. Alavaria

Alavaria Member

In the past, they would get stuck and the workjob would be spammed multiple times for a single colonist and stay even when they died.

Before, the most recent fix, the workjob would be spammed multiple times for a single colonist, but it was possible to clear them (I know I did) as if a colonist gave confession, all their related "take confession" jobs would be fixed.

Sadly, even now with the workjob spamming fixed, colonists are still dying :(

=====================

Oh, so I looked it up. It seems that:
    1 Bushel of Sand -> 4 Glass Panes
    4 Glass Panes -> 16 Glass Bottles (4 jobs) which is a very nice trade possibility.

A bushel of sand is worth 80 tradevalue
    1 unit of glass panes is worth 150 tradevalue (so 80-> 600 after 1 job)
    1 crate of glass bottles is worth 60 (so 150-> 240 after 1 job)

So you can turn a bushel of sand (worth 80) into 16 units of glass bottles (total: 960), after 5 jobs.

That's really good compared to say the carpenter making Standing Desks (each: 120) or so on. The carpenter takes 3 jobs to get:
    1 log -> 2 planks
    2 planks -> 2 Standing Desks (2 jobs)
    Getting a value of 240 after 3 jobs.

Plus the ceramics tends to be idle the most of the workshops)

Last edited: Feb 28, 2016
  4. Tikigod

Tikigod Member

Sand isn't exactly as accessible to obtain like wood is though. ;)

To secure an actual source of sand you need a mine, which needs all the various layers of production going, iron to be smeltered, the mine shaft to be produced etc.

It's about identifying the most accessible means of easily producing excess trade goods with little additional workload invested into it as far as just using trading to get as much as possible to feed into a colony with little to no nearby surface node sources, rather than just working out what commodity has the highest potential trade conversion worth regardless to the means to secure and process it.

In a completely different situation of having sufficient resources, a range of workshops already built and working mines... all very much signs of having an already established colony which itself is a sign of resource availability without needing trading, then sand would certainly seem to be a great item for converting into trading though.

5. Alavaria

Alavaria Member

Oh now we're at minmaxing the early trade. The point was the amusing x4 then x4 multipliers though....

I never really used trade much, couldn't rely on it as much as the famous (??) rush to metalworks (especially because you can't buy weapons, so you have to make them or use some trickery...)

Next time I'll try an alternative method of getting weapons using bandit tents.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2016
  6. Kamisma

Kamisma Member

Sorry i expressed myself incorrectly, what i meant is those are examples of problems they have to fix before going forward (and yes i know they are fixed)

My point is when a feature is functional, they can move forward with the next one, they can still come back to said feature later to improve and rebalance it, but it is not a priority.

I dont consider the game as a whole truly functionnal because its still missing many features such as conduits, military management , standalone modules (modules not part of a building) and the metagame.

This should be their priority. Sure the core functionalities must be "nailed down" but i dont consider balance to be part of the nailing down. Since it will be screwed when those features are finally implemented.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
  7. grayfox687

grayfox687 Member

I think one of the things that is driving the work on balance, ui improvements, etc, is that changing the numbers or what have you, or tweaking the priority of the jobs pipeline, is less code intensive than implementing entirely new mechanics. Thus the more artistically inclined members of the team can easily (as long as the tools are properly built) tweak preset values without having to rebuild the system. All the meanwhile, the more code intensive, long term pieces of work (ie whatever Nicholas is working on at any given time) continues apace.

It's why they can, for a while, double kitchen output to keep the steam forums from exploding with angry "Bro, I can't even food, game so garbage, 0/10 review, so garbage" while still working on new content.

dbaumgart likes this.
  8. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

Part of it has also been that I had a very short but extremely necessary holiday in Berlin last week, so this was a good thing for folks to work on while I was busy holding everything else up.

Side note: in Berlin, as soon as anybody looks at the game they go "Oh, it's the Settlers!" (well, "Oh! Die Siedler!" is I think the right way to say that in German.) So that's really interesting.

9. Rentahamster

Rentahamster Member

It's German for "The Bart, The".

Daynab likes this.
  10. dbaumgart

dbaumgart Art Director Staff Member

(Note to self: allocate significant marketing budget to Stahlmark.)

11. Tikigod

Tikigod Member

It's Germany, anything with buildings and people is seen as The Settlers. hehe

Probably because it was a German game. ;)