Aluminium Insufflation

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Mashirafen, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Mashirafen

Mashirafen Member

The steam store page for Dungeons of Dredmor promised me the opportunity to shove powdered aluminium directly up my nostrils, and as much as I am in love with this game this is one area where it fails to deliver.

I am not entirely sure of what purpose this would serve, but I just want to snort powdered aluminium and/or other substances like I was promised. Maybe if you insufflated some rust as well you could shoot a jet of thermite from your nose; I wouldn't complain about being able to consume mercury as the Alchemy tree suggests either. Damnit, we need an entire skill tree designed around the abuse of metallic substances!

2. tcjsavannah

tcjsavannah Member

+1 for a Pixie Stix crafting tool to aid in said suggestion

3. Psiweapon

Psiweapon Member

Thirded. I want to know why is it a "tightly controlled substance" in dwarven societies.

4. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

5. Bohandas

Bohandas Member

I agree with this suggestion. In fact, I think that ALL of the various reagents and craft ingredients should be ingestible

Mashirafen likes this.
  6. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

I do have to say, that's an interesting idea. And if you do mix Aluminum and Iron oxide, I.E. Rust, you could shoot thermite and burn your nose off. :)
    As for Mercury, I can't see any good thing that would come out of that. "You drink pure Mercury, you quickly die of fatal mercury poisoning."

7. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

There is exactly *Nothing* quick about that method of death.

And for the record, most people have some measurable amount of mercury in their bloodstream. They get it from contact. (It can absorb through the skin.)

Mercury does have some theoretical medicinal uses. But it IS poisonous. If you have one of the few medical issues that would warrant so haphazard a treatment, you were going to die anyway. The hope is just that you may have a less painful death. (It has to be pretty bad.)

In the 1850s, the PDR had a number of standards for administration of mercury to patients. But then it also had the following paraphrased treatment for a woman's period:
    Throw the afflicted woman into a well for three days. When she is recovered from the well in three days she will no longer have that problem. She is cured.

Think I am making that up? I only wish so. The women that were "Treated" with such "Advanced Medical and/or Therapeutic Methods" rarely ever had a relapse. I think they learned to hide the symptoms and never complain about it again since they knew what "Treatment" they would receive to "Cure" them again.

I know I am way off topic. But history of such things needs to be known by everyone lest we allow insane people to practice cruelties in the name of Medicine.
    /rant off

Wi§p and Essence like this.
  8. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

Well, I was making a joke. :) Mostly based on how roguelikes would handle you drinking poisonous things.
    Angband has the potion of Death, which instantly kills you, unless you have 5001 health. :) and the potion of Detonations, which acts like drinking Nitroglycerine. "Massive eruptions detonate all over your body. You have been given a mortal wound." :)
    I think Nethack punishes you as well.

9. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

I know. I was not really so much replying to your post as spewing my knowledge of how messed up modern medicine can be.

Those PoD are awesome though. In TomeNET (Multiplayer version of ToME.) you can have loads of fun throwing them around like crazy.

In Rogueish Renovations, (A mod here) there are those Pokemon eggs that are clearly warning you not to eat them. Obviously I had to do it though.

And in the base game, I eat Root of T'Char every now and then to mix things up. They can actually be useful if you have plenty of healing methods and good necro/conflag resistance though.

I do tend to rant and rave often. I think Daynab is going to kick my teeth in one of these days for it. (My few remaining intact teeth, that is.)

Wi§p likes this.
  10. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

To be fair, the 1850s is not what I would call modern medicine. :)

11. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

True. But some things take a very long time to change. People still apply electroshock therapy for so-called medicinal purposes. Some even do this to children and pretend it is therapeutic because the kids are in so much pain that behavioral issues cease or are limited. One such case was in the news recently. The kid died in an American private school after hours of electroshock therapy.
    *Edit* Do not watch the video if you are sensitive. It is disturbing to say the least.

*Edited Again and removed all links. They were quickly found, and not appropriate sources. Sorry.*

12. Bohandas

Bohandas Member

It prevents heart attacks?

13. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

Nitroglycerine doesn't prevent heart attacks in it's liquid form. :) IT explodes violently.
    If you drink it, you won't have a heart attack, but you'll also have no heart. :) Or lungs...or an esophagus...
    Omni, you really don't need to link to unpleasant videos you know to get your point across.

14. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Can we get back on topic? There's a distinct lack of aluminum snorting that was indeed promised :p
    • Incredibly complicated crafting system! Wield relics of the Great Elven/Dwarven conflict; grind down ingots to make powdered aluminum and shove it directly up your nostrils!

15. Bohandas

Bohandas Member

I wouldn't put too much stock in the "information" provided by these sources. The second one also endorses the superstition that vaccinations cause autism, in addition to implying that autism is a form of mental retardation (this would be equivalent to saying that schizophrenia, hypochondria, PTSD, or major depressive disorder are forms of retardation; they all only relate to it in the tangential sense of being disorders of the mind).

16. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

The only information I entirely believe from any of those sources is that ECT is not therapy.(At least not beneficial.) But Daynab is correct. Let us either get back to the subject or make a new thread to talk about said other topic until Daynab has to knock us each in the side of the head for being insane.

We could make an entire insufflation skillset via mods. What skills should it have? :)

17. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

I agree, let's talk more about the skills used in snorting powdered aluminum. Maybe when you do that, you get the ability to see less of a distance, but gain a bonus to poison resistance, but not Asphyxiation resistance. :)

18. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Stuff and Snort:
    You shove Powdered Aluminum up your nose and snort until things get really blurry and your liver hurts.
    -2 :sight: +4 :resist_toxic: -2 :resist_aphyxiative: for 50 turns.

Next skill "Savage Aluminum Salvage"
    You need a fix. Those rotten Dwarves are never around when you need more. You have to collect it from chipped bits of armor and weapons all over the dungeon floor
    (Gives you 1-3 Powdered Aluminum. Cooldown of 50 turns.)

Next idea?

19. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Aluminum Party:
    Consumes a whole Aluminum Ingot. Clearly your habit is getting out of hand.
    -3 :sight: +3 :resist_toxic: -4 :resist_aphyxiative: +5 :life_regen: +2 :burliness: +1 :armor_asorb: +5 :block: for fifty turns.

20. Shadowplay

Shadowplay Member

I sense a skill tree popping up.

Master of Snort
    Level 1: Mineralistic - Sniff various powdered minerals for bonuses
    Level 2: The Scent of Metal - Sniff various metals for bonuses
    Level 3: I can stop whenever I want! - Powders? Pffh! you can now snort ores for stronger effects
    Level 4: Just a little more... - You can even snort bars now
    Level 5: A nose for craftmanship - Snort whole armors or weapons!
    Level 6: You are just being nosey now - You can now snort enemies to steal their powers!
    Level 7: No one nose where it is! - You can now snort up walls for various effects and to ease travel

OmniNegro likes this.