Alternative Solution for Cabbage Surplus

Discussion in 'Clockwork Empires General' started by joeyheadset, Aug 13, 2014.

1. joeyheadset

joeyheadset Member

Marak and dbaumgart like this.
  2. Marc HC

Marc HC Member

Cabbage champagne sounds like the thing well-to-do people in the Clockwork empire would enjoy.

3. joeyheadset

joeyheadset Member

The perfect beverage for christening your new steam-powered cabbage boat.

4. Tleno

Tleno Member

Well, in spirit of Dwarf Fortress, I imagine it would be pretty interesting to have almost every single fruit out there transformable into an appropriate drink, from berry moonshine to... um... cabbage... moonshine?

5. Noratoxin

Noratoxin Member

Been digging around in game files and there seems to be a texture for moonshine. Not sure if it will make it into the final game and I really doubt it will be distilled out of cabbages (there are corn textures to be found, too).

6. Tleno

Tleno Member

Corn: the cabbages of tomorrow!

Got it!

lordkosc and Noratoxin like this.
  7. Alephred

Alephred Royal Archivist for Queen And Empire

Well, isn't corn a New World crop anyway? Not that it wasn't already common in Europe by the Victorian era.

For the true colonist experience, I think we'll have to wait for potatos and turnips. For use as vodka and prison hooch, respectively.

8. Tleno

Tleno Member

Vodka, да, this will cuffice for cyrvival, commяade!

9. Marc HC

Marc HC Member

I know this will sound a bit excessive, maybe, but what about crop rotation? Industrial revolution was partially possible due to the agricutural revolution, wich means crop rotation. Always planting the same thing would prove bad for plant growth, wich would mean you should be able to instruct teams a list of crops you want them to rotate to prevent fertility decay, and mad cabbage surpluses.

10. FearTheAmish

FearTheAmish Member

We would need a list of Nutrient adding plants then, like Clover and Soy Beans, and fallow time (time with no crop). You gotta realize with a three field rotation system only two fields will actually be producing useable food at any time also.

11. Deaghaidh

Deaghaidh Member

Well the maker of Banished, having devoted much time to it, abandoned crop rotation in his game, declaring it "not fun.". Its a fine line. On the one hand it would add depth to have soil fertility be an issue, requiring you to rotate crops and/or fertilize it with fishman gibs. But on the other, it could become tedious micromanagement quickly.

12. Marc HC

Marc HC Member

No, on the contrary, I was saying that you could just programe the work crew with wich crops you wanted them to plant and they would do the rest, impliying even planning the rotation. Also, the agricultural revolution wrought the possibility of not needing fallow time, as it added a fourth field with turnips and clover. It's really not that complicated and would be automatised by the computer once you say wich crops you want to rotate. Or at least they could include fertilizers.

13. Deaghaidh

Deaghaidh Member

Sure, it could be a great feature, especially if you could set a standard schedule for your crews to follow. But a lot will depend on implementation.

14. City Builder

City Builder Member

I think that's one of the reasons it was abandoned in Banished, you could set it and forget it, so it wasn't really much fun at all and didn't really add anything worthwhile to game play. I would imagine that GL has to really weigh their options in what features they can spend time developing to get the most bang for their buck in terms of "fun" game play that will keep the player engaged.

Personally, I don't think that any form of crop rotation would be a fun game element in a survival style game. Sure put it in the farming games but a survival game I'm really not convinced on that.