[Alpha release] Mistborn skill

Discussion in 'Mod Releases' started by Neo_Combine, Jun 26, 2012.

1. Neo_Combine

Neo_Combine Member

This is an alpha release of my new skill set of mistborn. This is what i have done so far and so i would like some feedback on the balance of the mod. I know about the issue of the first Vial, this is where when you drink it you don't gain anything. I have added an extra potion to compensate.

Level 1: Lucky person
    This skill gives you the ability to charm certain creatures into fighting for you for a time. This lasts for 50 turns. That is also the recharge time. This will allow you to effectively keep a "pet" as you can constantly charm the same creature or charm another creature.

Level 2:Mist born
    This skill gives you the ability to burn Tin. It also gives you a 10% chance on kill to gain a vial of metals. This will allow you to refresh your stores. This skill allows you to burn Pewter, Tin and Steel. And gives you another 5% chance to find a vial of metals.

Level 3: Atium
    This skill gives you one nugget of Atium. Atium allows you to dodge and counter every attack for 7 turns also allows crtical strike.

Level 4 : Trained by spook
    This gives another 5% chance to find more metals and gives you the ability to burn Tin at a higher level.(better buffs and/or longer duration. Haven't nailed down the details yet.

level 5: Trained by Ham
    This gives another 5% chance. These chances are all differant spells. so you could get 5 vials at once or none at all. This gives a longer lasting burn of pewter. As per what Ham taught in the books.

Level 6: Trained by Kelsier
    This gives another 5% chance to find vials to fuel your allomancy. Also provides a more damaging steel effect.

Let me know what you think on the balance of the skills.

EDIT:
    Fixed the pictures so they actually match the context now. Here is the better file

No longer alpha stage

Attached Files:

2. zen.adaptive

zen.adaptive Member

I just started reading The Final Empire. Brian Sanderson is a real wizard.

3. Neo_Combine

Neo_Combine Member

He is not... however Brandon Sanderson is quite good to read :D

4. zen.adaptive

zen.adaptive Member

It might be obvious my memory is bad and I don't have the book on hand. :eek:
    In any case the mod is quite fun. Good work.

5. Neo_Combine

Neo_Combine Member

Just read Mistborn: The Alloy of Law and so and now thinking of adding maybe a few of the guns mentioned in the book or some of the "bend alloys". Also thinking of adding a twin born

6. Andras_Zodon

Andras_Zodon Member

Neo_Combine doesn't seem to be active on the forums anymore, last logged in just over a year ago. However, I'd really like to see some improvements/additions to this mod of his. It only covers the basic metals and atium, first of all. I won't go into the spoilers of the additional metals for anyone who hasn't read the books, but I think they definitely need to be added.

I've thought about it, and I realize that DoD doesn't have the most comfortable mechanics to work with for creating a Mistborn based skill. There's no easy way to flare your metals or [SPOILER START] burn them simultaneously alongside Duralumin [SPOILER END], let alone do something like Feruchemistry. It could be done with a non-user-friendly array of active abilities, but that'd just be ugly.

As far as the above mentioned spoiler, it could probably be a no-upkeep stacking buff, the only property of which being that every time you voluntarily end a stack of it, you gain a stack of a temporary/limited use buff which creates the spoiler-thing-effect.

Anyway, the main point being, this mod has great untapped potential.

EDIT: I had forgotten that the metals in this are really strong. Definitely still needs some balance changes on atium's drop rate, and it probably shouldn't give a sagacity boost, and probably a much smaller caddishness boost. As is, it's way too common for how strong it is. I also question Tin and Atium giving you trap tinkering bonuses, though a trap detection radius for Tin is perfectly reasonable.

Also, I have a suggestion for flaring metals. I'm not familiar with the game's functions in the code, but I'm thinking a good way to flare metals would be to give a stack of flare for a metal when you dismiss a charge of that metal store (which doesn't take a turn). These flare charges are consumed before the normal store of metal, and have an increased effect, but must be used on the same turn you gain them, or they are lost.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2014