ALPHA 49C ALPHA 49C: STRANGE METEORS AND MINIMAPS

Discussion in 'Clockwork Empires General' started by Nicholas, Apr 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

It's up on the Experimental Branch, as always.

Changelog for 49C

first implementation of minimap
    max pathing retries setting greatly lowered
    embark points are now picked from known lists of "good" embark locations, as opposed to just letting you choose with a tiny arrow randomly
    added building destruction; enemies can now attack structures
    added ability for Vicar to perform last rites on bodies, buried or not. This comforts the living and ensures the dead rest peacefully.
    added Strange Meteor event
    added REDACTED
    added Pulque, Mezcal recipes
    added Grapevine crop
    added crops: Agave, Prickly Pear
    added Mezcal, Agave Syrup, Prickly Pear Bushel
    placed crops into proper climate zones
    optimized save game saving and loading
    massive farm rebalance; nearly all crops have had growth changes
    added a bunch of new crop field types
    all crops are now restricted to respective biome sets.
    crops you can't currently plant (due to biome or research) will not be visible on the crop menu
    added event and special benefit for reaching maximum reputation with the Republique Mechanique
    added event and special benefit for reaching maximum reputation with the Novorus Imperiya
    added event and special benefit for reaching maximum reputation with the Grossherzoginnentum von Stahlmark
    significantly delayed the onset of the "Colonists want chapel" event
    switched a bunch of ticker-output to alerts instead (We'll see if this feels spammy)
    balance: a number of crops will now require researching before they can be planted
    balance: some agriculture tech now requires previous tech before becoming available
    balance: increased cap on science points to 50
    balance: bandit camp site selection made to ignore very center of map
    balance: fewer animals spawn in tropics
    FIXED: "Staunch Traditionalist" workcrew names added
    FIXED: animal_repopulate event fixed to work with new climate zones (and placement function)
    FIXED: Trader guards should no longer steal weapons from player
    FIXED 49B: some incorrect swamp terrain textures
    FIXED: Saguaro stumps ill-defined
    FIXED: fishpeople given explicit attack order could not be butchered
    FIXED: bandits couldnt be ordered buried after ordered shot
    FIXED: random crash starting new game in biome loader
    FIXED: large saguaro cactuses are no longer invisible
    FIXED: immigrants should properly spawn in maps where the start location has been moved

KillerKidClever and Unforked like this.
  2. Cyjack

Cyjack Member

Oooh. I cant wait to discover REDACTED. Nice work!

3. Unforked

Unforked Member

Lots of great new stuff here, but oddly I think I'm most excited by building destruction. That makes defense far more important in the late game, when colonists can be expendable (sorry), but your massive, lovingly crafted structures full of modules are not.

4. Alavaria

Alavaria Member

Massive farm rebalance, mmmm interesting

Yes, it gives you a good defensive option of building a lot of tiny little buildings which the enemy AI can now target. At least this should slow them down and distract them as well as help mitigate the risk on NCO sniping (as there are now more targets they can shoot at).

Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
  5. Cyjack

Cyjack Member

An observation. I seem to be wanting for overseers more than in the last build, to the point where I'm having to wait on them to expand more, whereas in the last build I only really felt constrained by resources. I don't know if anything was tweaked in this area or not.

6. Snowpig

Snowpig Member

The correct german spelling is "Grossherzogtum" - no matter if it is ruled by a count ( Herzog ) or countess ( Herzogin )

7. More Starting Area oddness: I decided to pick one of the arctic spots and got this: 20160413090433_1.jpg

8. Cyjack

Cyjack Member

Yes, I've noticed that the terrain immediately under the the location dot on the map is not always indicative of the actual terrain you embark on.

9. Unforked

Unforked Member

I love having a minimap (watching your territory expand is very satisfying), but it's so small I find myself squinting and getting closer to the monitor.

EDIT:

Woah woah woah, there's an "upgrade building" button in the buildings panel now? How did I miss that? Was this ever in the patch notes? Mine are grayed out so far, but do they work in this build at some point, and if so, what does it do?

Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
  10. dbaumgart

dbaumgart Art Director Staff Member

(Yeah, I discussed the issue with Stahlmark Consultant. He said, well, if you really want to emphasize that it's feminine, even though it's considered incorrect, you could do it like this, so that's what I did. Call it an artistic experiment; not totally sold on making it canonical.)

Someone did not do an assiduous job of removing their in-dev UI hooks. Move along, nothing to see there!

11. berkstin

berkstin Member

So, noticing some issues:
    • I'm getting some major lag even early in a game. Colonists will walk a few steps, then stop (legs still moving) then jerk forward. Graphics?
    • MILITARY: Squad leaders no longer rally, nor do they react to emergencies. I had a bandit raid on my colony and one of the bandits strolled into the barracks and started beating the s**t out of my NCO while she was asleep. She finally woke up but didn't really react. When she was killed I assigned another guy to the barracks along with troops. The soldiers kept fighting the bandits, but the new NCO was "on military patrol" somewhere near where he had been cutting trees before his reassignment, and never joined the battle. Also, before the raid I was rallying my soldiers around to explore some of the map. The troops responded fine but the NCO would not rally, and her job continued to show as "idle."
    • CRASHINESS IN WORLD MAP: I didn't save the crash logs (sorry), but I'm still having this issue where if I click on more than one potential colony site on the world map, and then click "set course for adventure," I get a crash to desktop. 'Create a new world' seems to help prevent this.
    • The tropical/savannah crop package is a little tough. Chilis, tea and sugar? Any way to add sweet potatoes or something? ;-)

Attached Files:

12. MOOMANiBE

MOOMANiBE Ah, those were the days. Staff Member

There's actually about 4 crops locked behind science in that biome, though only one of them is strictly edible; part of the new research thingie we're trying out.

berkstin likes this.
  13. Cyjack

Cyjack Member

I've seen another person report this, so I don't doubt there might be something going on, but I have not seen this yet. My squads rally, and respond to threats. However, this was during the day, not at night while they were sleeping. Maybe it will become important to use the work shift functions to get a squad to stay awake on night duty.

14. dbaumgart

dbaumgart Art Director Staff Member

NCOs indeed have an issue with orders. Footsoldiers assigned to them, however, will follow orders correctly. This has been fixed for the next patch but we're not going to hotfix it for 49C.

15. berkstin

berkstin Member

I just had another raid, during the day, and my NCO stood there with his job listed as "idle" while bandits chopped him to pieces.

Guess I'll wait until the next release to try again...sort of a show-stopper since I'm going through NCO's like... something disposable.

Attached Files:

16. Cyjack

Cyjack Member

Oh, that is a drag. That means I have to keep another small squad to make up the lost combat potential, and I'm already starving for Overseers. I don't know what it is this particular game. Ive got plenty of workers, but I'm waiting around constantly to be able to staff my buildings. I actually save scummed my way through the loss of a mundane work squad OS because they're too valuable to lose any in this game.

Are you guys sure you didn't fiddle with this?

17. Unforked

Unforked Member

Here's what I get when I load the attached save:

Also attached a crash dmp from a few minutes later.

20160413193404_1.jpg

Attached Files:

18. Unforked

Unforked Member

I got the Strange Meteor event and well, I found some... things.

And those things seem to be spreading rapidly all over the area surrounding the colony. Military shoots them on sight, and they don't appear to put up any kind of struggle, but they appear to be multiplying. Also, they create no memories in anyone who encounters them.

20160414094954_1.jpg

20160414094924_1.jpg

20160414092425_1.jpg

20160414092249_1.jpg

Nicholas, Samut, MOOMANiBE and 2 others like this.
  19. Selly1

Selly1 Member

Agree completely. Untill this is fixed I'm classing the game as unplayable. It's no fun to know that you're doomed and there's not a thing you can do about it.

20. Trifler

Trifler Member

Logged in to say I'm really liking the biomes. I did have an issue when I started on an all-desert island (I couldn't build since there was no way to get wood), but all-in-all the biomes are very interesting.

The minimap, of course, is very welcome. :)

Still bummed about fixed size farms. I don't really see why the game can't use the new labor calculations on a per plant basis instead of the old grow time calculations. Add up the number of plants in a given farm plot, multiply by the labor needed per plant, and you have the labor needed for that farm plot, just like the current fixed size plots.

Samut likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.