ALPHA 47C ALPHA 47C NOW IN EXPERIMENTAL BRANCH

Discussion in 'Clockwork Empires General' started by Nicholas, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tikigod

Tikigod Member

Any chance the "Colonists are concerned about the security of the colony and want you to build a barracks" prompt could get disabled as soon as you set a barracks to be constructed?

Had a barracks that was taking more than a day to get built because I was focusing on getting middle class food going by day 2, and so my colonists including my construction focused crew were all busy building up the kitchen modules and ignoring the barracks, and then the game tells me my colonists want me to get a barracks going.... Couldn't help but think "If you want it, bloody build it instead of refusing to work you lazy bums." :rolleyes:

Is a bit of a redundant prompt when you already have one underway and the problem is just colonists deciding not to build it, yet you're told they're really concerned about the lack of one.

2. Alavaria

Alavaria Member

Yes, though if suddenly you're attacked and your NCO eats it then well... the unbuilt barracks won't do much,

Actually one video I saw had the colonists being chased off while trying to build it and dying to fishpeople, ah... oh well. My barracks is up before anything else, since it lets you use the NCO as a standard overseer, thus, that means "6 overseers +1 lower class", rather than "5 overseers +1 lower class"

That's significant and nice to have on day 1.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
  3. Tikigod

Tikigod Member

Until a dev sees that, then suddenly you'll have a new memory for colonists of:

"Worried over how the colony has no military protection from outside threats"

Which kills happiness and causes fear to skyrocket.

:D

4. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

(I want to actually do a unified mechanism, probably with a screen, for colonist demands, which would clean this up. But we'll see what happens and if I can actually get it to fly with anybody else.)

5. Alavaria

Alavaria Member

That's the point of the post, so yes.

6. Tikigod

Tikigod Member

That would certainly be a very cool addition.

7. dbaumgart

dbaumgart Art Director Staff Member

But I bet conduits would be cooler amirite?

Menthol_Penguin, Tikigod and Unforked like this.
  8. Alavaria

Alavaria Member

Depends on the happiness setting of the two memories relative to one another:

"XXYY witnessed a conduit in action. It was Progress in motion!"
    vs
    "AABB witnessed a UI element that should Never Be Seen by a colonist, and has started muttering about an overseer on the other side of the fourth wall."

9. Tikigod

Tikigod Member

Certainly would be cool as well, though I've always been more drawn to the colonist behaviour/personality simulation side of things with the game. :)

Speaking of which, I haven't had a chance to play around with the new chapel policy system yet so perhaps it already works this way, but will the chapel policy be a entirely player controlled thing or is there any possibility of it being partly driven by the characteristics of whoever is put in charge of the chapel?

As I can imagine it working along the lines of the game factors in the personality traits of the head of the chapel and then presents a set of policies that play into what that colonist would actually preach about.

So a xenophobic, patriotic, brutish colonist put in charge of the chapel might cause the policy options the player can pick from to be anti-fishpeople, pro-empire or just generalised encouraging of military solutions when interacting with 'outsiders'.

Whilst a fishy behaviour, strange, morbid colonist put in charge of the chapel might cause the policy options the player can pick from to be pro-fishpeople, pro-cult formation, or encouraging the use of exotic meat as a dietary staple food.

10. Wolg

Wolg Member

Now I feel I must edit the game data to make "Axis-Aligned Boundingbox" a possible name, though it does sound a bit Foreign... Or perfect for a gentleman Geometer...

11. Tikigod

Tikigod Member

Sounds like something those uncivilised folk that let themselves be ruled by thinking machines might name a child.

12. dbaumgart

dbaumgart Art Director Staff Member

Madness! You're clearly a spy from the Daniel design camp. (We have camps with knife-fights. I'm a pipes guy, he's a people guy. Anyway!)

Quick answer: Doing all this deep work on chapel doctrine would involve a lot of UX work, to say nothing of the content writing. Meanwhile lower hanging fruit in terms of developer-time to gameplay improvement ratio are quite ripe for the, er, developing.
    ... Not that additional systems depth might not have a solid place in the "Hat Pack" expansion pack.

PartTimeVillain likes this.
  13. Tikigod

Tikigod Member

Makes sense, well here's hoping to the future of the "Hat Pack", hopefully after some well deserved vacation time. ;)

14. Fluffeh

Fluffeh Member

If the pipes camp ever need some drilling for those knife fights then I'd be willing to go half my normal rate just to help along the victory of the clearly righteous cause. What good is it being a close combat instructor if I can't use it to change the things that REALLY matter? All glory to the pipes camp!

15. Tikigod

Tikigod Member

Given that those in Dbaumgart's camp are bringing pipes to a knife fight, the outcome is pretty much decided already.

If it comes down to it Daniels camp can always just design colonists to dismantle the pipes. :)

16. Alavaria

Alavaria Member

If the pipes have enough reach, they may be better weapons than the knives...

17. Ahh, but you can throw knives!

I'm not choising sides though!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.