ALPHA 47C ALPHA 47C NOW IN EXPERIMENTAL BRANCH

Discussion in 'Clockwork Empires General' started by Nicholas, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wargarurumon

wargarurumon Member

a save game with the slowdown

Attached Files:

2. Wolg

Wolg Member

Did you start your click-Drag area designation in such a low point, or on some land at the level you wanted the rest to be flattened to?

3. I'm also having invisible modules on an AMD card. My kitchen crew are stuck in a loop as well, sometimes they jerk around in the pick up/put down animations, sometimes they pick the wheat up from the stockpile, carry it away from the colony, put it down, then pick it up to go brew beer, although I don't think they actually brew it. The wheat on my stockpile is all over the place too, place at weird angles and not flat on the floor.

Occasionally colonists go zooming towards the stockpile too, not sure what's going on there. It feels quite jerky in general. If you want me to try and catch some video let me know!

Gabions appear to be buggy too, I cancelled the job for placing them but the outline is still there.

Save game attached.

Screen Shot 02-14-16 at 01.06 PM 001.PNG Screen Shot 02-14-16 at 01.06 PM.PNG

Attached Files:

4. Tikigod

Tikigod Member

You didn't manage them well perhaps.

Their workshift scheduling now assigns itself based on overseer happiness.

Piss off the overseers and they're set their own work schedule shorter and shorter until they simply won't work.

When you start the game you should now have your colonists start with a new memory about being eager to join the colonial efforts or some such which acts as a initial happiness boost to make sure you will have hard working colonists from the start. But as soon as day 1 starts and colonists collect new memories, all bets are off and it doesn't take much to have new memories stomp on the benefit of that single starting memory, especially if your colonists are working in neutral or below standard workplaces, sleeping on the ground, eating raw food or one colonists has a shitty day and pisses someone else off by giving them a smack, who then pisses off another person and so on in a spiral of everyone blaming everyone else for the shit state of the colony whilst no one works to make beds or kitchen modules, and your kitchen refuses to make food. :)

Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
  5. I didn't realise that the new workshift system was in and tried to set my barber working all day, with the result that they went through 4 shift changes in about 30 seconds and were mightily pissed off. Then they stopped working so I replaced them with someone else! It's a lot like being at work, only I'm not in charge there...

6. Alavaria

Alavaria Member

No need to try and be cute, I can tell that they add off shifts when unhappy, it's that they ignored the shifts where they were supposed to be working.

Unless that little bit of UI isn't supposed to actually tell us when they work, there shouldn't be 5 or 4 shifts lit up if they're just going to ignore it.

=====================================

I'll report that it also (does not) work the other way around, I had some guy claiming to work three shifts (starting from #1), but on shift #5, he and his lower-class follower were still industriously hauling. So the UI seems a bit messed up.

[​IMG]

=====================================

This is totally an amazing change, FYI

7. Tikigod

Tikigod Member

Wasn't being cute or trying to be, simply giving the most likely cause.

It could be that certain activities (either correctly or incorrectly) don't fall under the restrictions of overseer controlled work scheduling. I vaguely recall mention awhile back that hauling is something a colonist will only do if they find there is nothing else they could otherwise be doing.

If that's the case, in situations where a overseer is displaying their mood only covers 3 periods, yet outside of those 3 periods but still during the working day they are doing misc activities like hauling but not other activities they could otherwise be doing, it would suggest there are some exceptions to the "Don't work" behaviour..... either as part of a change that came with this new system, or some unintended behaviour due to how hauling and other misc activities are handled differently to general jobs which means they're falling through the holes and still being taken up by overseers that should be on strike.

8. Kamisma

Kamisma Member

For me they tend to work much more than the indicators are showing.

Usually my crew settle down near a 4 shift worlkday, but they'll still work until the evening

If I may have a suggestion, i'd suggest having the workers workshift change only at the beginning at the day. ie. If one day they're unhappy they'll decide to workless the next day and keep to it even if they suddenly become happy during the day (in which case they'll work more the next day). Rather than changing their minds 100 times a day, which is hard to follow, is a bit jarring, and will likely cause Issues.

Also if they are mad they should have extreme behaviour like working all shifts or not at all.

9. Alavaria

Alavaria Member

The UI might just not be updating enough, for example these two overseer-only crews of mine are "on strike" and indeed went to sleep in their "work time" but then after waking up immediately went back to work.

[​IMG]

I'm wondering if this is what is causing the slowdown and (as I've gotten) crashes.

I had about 4-shifts, one or two were on a 5-shift, the difference is things like "hit someone and felt better" vs "was hit by someone", at least I think so, got my bunkhouse set up

[​IMG]
    Had to rearrange the workschedules a little bit so the beds are properly hotbunked... that might also have contributed to it.

But nothing says Wonderful like cots crammed together and blank walls.

10. Tikigod

Tikigod Member

+1 to the only changing their schedules at the start of the day. Would make a lot more sense.

And wouldn't at all surprise me if the constantly changing scheduling was contributing to the performance issues, as wasn't the old workcrew UI a common performance problem area due to how it was being handled and updated more than was healthy for the game? So Overseers constantly changing their scheduling and as such causing the crew window to have to redraw/refresh each time they change their mind can't be good for performance.

Can't say I've noticed any workcrews doing assigned jobs like workshop duty or farming off schedule when they shouldn't though.

11. Alavaria

Alavaria Member

It might be people sleeping in the middle of the day, and when they wake up they decide to do an extra shift because they slept so well due to the wooden sign hangers on the bunkhouse...

It makes sense if someone went on strike, then took a nap and was so happy afterwards they returned to work but the UI didn't update to reflect that.

========================================

I did a bunch of flattening, it works like I expected, so had no issues making a nice flat plain. I ordered the flattening the same way I did before:
    Select a large area of already flat land as well as a little bit of the rough terrain. This hasn't failed me for rough ground, little valleys or even taking down cliffs.

12. Alavaria

Alavaria Member

Not fixed.

While you need to have 1 unit of iron pipes and 1 unit of iron plates to start the job, the ":Make Musket" job only uses the iron pipes and not plates.

The job will look for and lock iron plates, but the colonist will not touch it.

13. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

Ah! Returning goods to container probably does not do a shift check. I'm going to debug this today and make sure it's working as operated. Yes, a crew should only work their lit shifts.

Tikigod likes this.
  14. dbaumgart

dbaumgart Art Director Staff Member

Side-note: number of workshifts one was willing to work was being recalculated every 3 seconds. Moved that to update only when the time-of-day actually changes. Not sure if this'll help with anything, but it should be slightly more efficient.

Ah, lovely. Fixed for real now.

Found a couple issues there,
    1. vermin spawned indoors (fixed),
    2. the job "military patrol" was fighting with "squish vermin" (fixed), and
    3. it looks like there's an issue with office job cancellation - logged as OC-4418.

wargarurumon and Tikigod like this.
  15. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

(Fixing the slowdown.)

16. Alavaria

Alavaria Member

Well, a shift is 60 seconds, so you're updating 1/20th.

The only thing that it affects is cases where you get unhappy now and it's your last shift, which you then immediately abandon.

17. Tikigod

Tikigod Member

So what's going on with artefacts, fishpeople and the whole eldritch side of things?

In 47A artefacts were changed to be non-researchable but their discover event still occurred and triggered madness, and interacting with Fishpeople went as normal.

Now in 47C, I'm digging up fishy idols and the games behaving like they don't even exist. No discovery event, no notification, not showing up in stockpile listings, squat. And on first encountering Fishpeople the event options are now deny they exist or just shoot them:

[​IMG]

Kind of curious to hear what you guys are planning with this all and if it'll be resolved in time for the 48 release, or if 48 will release with essentially that whole part of the game disabled. :)

18. dbaumgart

dbaumgart Art Director Staff Member

There are plans to develop some things related to this over the course of the Alpha 48 experimentals.

Unforked and Tikigod like this.
  19. Tikigod

Tikigod Member

:D

20. Mokkun

Mokkun Member

Back again. Had a crash again, before it, the game was acting a bit non-smooth..

Just tossing whit a DxDiag in case you are wondering about the system specks.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.