ALPHA 47C ALPHA 47C NOW IN EXPERIMENTAL BRANCH

Discussion in 'Clockwork Empires General' started by Nicholas, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tikigod

Tikigod Member

With colonists deciding for themselves when to work based on their emotional state, why not remove the option for the player to try force colonists to work at a given time and instead let the player specify and change requested work schedules at no penalty.

Colonists can then decide if they'll work all the full set of hours requested or not, regular hours are factored in normally and 'unsocial-able hours' are weighed as costing more.

So if a overseers emotional state leads to them being willing to work 4 'segments' of the day, then the player can decide whatever 4 segments they want and the overseer wouldn't care if you change your mind the next day or not. With evening/night segments weighing in as being regarded as worth 50% or 100% more than day segments. Because it's not like they're working any harder or anything like that by changing their schedules, they're just working on a shift rota and there's no real reason someone would naturally get angry or sad from that.

However if the player takes that same overseer and says they have to work 6 'segments' of the day, then that would (over time) cause increasingly negative side effects as the overseer feels they're being expected to do more than they feel is their jobs worth.

So to break it down into individual points:

* Remove the penalty from changing schedules from one day to the next. Instead let the player change requested scheduling as they please.

* Have overseers compare what's being requests of them against what they feel they should be doing.

* Day segments weighed normally. Dawn/Evening/Night shifts weighed up as being equivalent to half extra or double a day segment.

* If requested schedule < Overseers idea of maximum hours. They get positive memories (or negative if they're a workaholic)

* If requested schedule == Overseers idea of maximum hours. Neutral. They don't care either way.

* If requested schedule > Overseers idea of maximum hours. Generate a negative memory per additional section of the day they are scheduled to work. (Or positive if a workaholic but one that doesn't just generate happiness but also contributes to stress/insanity)

* Even if it's scheduled doesn't mean they'll work it. But the fact someone does expect it from them can still create negative feedback, regardless to if they work it or not. ;)

* Relay this information in the workcrew windows either as a straight up "Ideal hours:" and "Scheduled Hours" addition to each crews entry. Or perhaps for each block of scheduled work that's over what they consider is acceptable cross out that scheduled slot with a red 'x' with a tooltip explaining it's scheduled work that exceeds the Overseers idea of acceptable hours.

* As there would be no penalty to changing schedules in itself, staying on top of overseer moods and adjusting scheduling to reflect their state and get peak work hours from them would actually be a viable aspect of the game, or you could decide to just be a nice guy and give your colonists a fairer shorter schedule from day 1.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
  2. Mikel

Mikel Waiting On Paperwork From The Ministry. Forever.

That is exactly what you were looking for... I was simply too happy for words when I started my new game with this near my starting spot.

3. Tikigod

Tikigod Member

Only a small minority of my buildings have any problem, in fact that carpentry is the first time I've had this happen personally from playing 47/A/B a fair bit, and it seemed to only be a case of the pre-built ghost not displaying.

Once constructed it was perfectly visible.

And whilst the carpentry had a problem with half of its pre-built modules, this kitchen has no problems at all:

[​IMG]

4. Kamisma

Kamisma Member

On nvidia i don't have problems with buildings except this weird green cube (i think that's suppose to replace the green circles of before ?) that is showing under the blueprint in edit mode, which is not very nice.

[​IMG]

5. Palindrome

Palindrome Member

I am (GTX 770). Modules that break turn invisible and then reappear after a (long) while. Goods that I have traded for also turn invisible and apparently remain invisible until they are picked up by a colonist. I have also had an incident of floating pistols, I'm not sure how they got there (possibly related to traders) but they are in the 'holstered' orientation and I think that they were an artifact as I couldn't forbid/select them.

I am having problems with food in this patch (which I didn't have in 47A), is this just me or has something been changed? It seems as though crops take longer to mature?

A couple of other things that I have noticed is that the Overseer quality notification that has been added to the carpentry workshop is always reporting at a level 1 lower than the overseer's actual skill. If you become neutral with bandits after they have launched a raid they will not be attacked/attack but they will still ransack your stockpile with no apparent way of stopping them.

6. Sethiusdraven

Sethiusdraven Member

had workshop disappear when it broke,
    not being able to see the green (used to be circles) when placing modules making me squint really close to see how I'm placing

Attached Files:

7. Tarod

Tarod Member

I read the thing. I also want to say that I love all the dev diaries and all the fluff.

Lily Phoenix and PartTimeVillain like this.
  8. mrclint

mrclint Member

Hard to say what issues is due to my Nvidia card after reading here.
    But I had my first crash in what feels like decades. Although it can be because I tried the stream function to my 'pad'.

9. Palindrome

Palindrome Member

[​IMG]

I reloaded a save and all my modules disappeared (aside from the ones in the metalworks)

[​IMG]

This screenshot is significantly later although the Barber and his workman were both stuck in place (as can be seen in both screenshots) and the barber had just started to starve to death. The soldier was able to move, he just kept coming back to his invisible chair for treatment that never arrived.

Soon after this I got steam rolled by a full bandit group so that's me until the next patch.

10. Dona Nelson

Dona Nelson Member

My stoves vanished after they broke, and did not become visible again after they were repaired, moving them made them visible again. Also all the windows show up fine on the outside, but look like empty picture frames from indoors.

11. Bluebird

Bluebird Member

Anyone else seeing a real slowdown around 45 population? On 65 colonists now and 2.5Gb RAM used. Each settler takes just under 1 sec to walk one step.

12. Palindrome

Palindrome Member

I get some stuttering when groups of traders or soldiers spawn on the map but its quite short lived, I never got past 40 pop though.

13. Alavaria

Alavaria Member

I was getting that too. It also makes loading take really long.

14. Bluebird

Bluebird Member

Anyone managed to grow opium poppies yet? Mine seem stuck on the last stage before being harvestable.

Edit : ok, got a few harvested but the team seems really reluctant to work on the field - they wander around rather than go to the field.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
  15. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

Okay, I have some ideas about the latency thing.

Slowdown: I would like to look at save games where this happens, please. There's something slowing things down; I noticed it on Friday, I couldn't immediately figure out what and decided not to hold the patch. That said, I would like to fix it for 48 proper.

16. Bluebird

Bluebird Member

Saved game that runs really slowly

ps. Stop working on weekend ! :)

Attached Files:

17. Sethiusdraven

Sethiusdraven Member

3 script errors, looks like last 2 were associated with vicar stuck just outside chapel. first script error was around a day earlier.
    attempted to unassign vicar, and assigning to barracks, halted there.
    either the vicar got stuck getting angered by schedule change, or when attempting to do a sermon without an alter
    2016-02-13_00001.jpg 2016-02-13_00002.jpg 2016-02-13_00003.jpg

Attached Files:

18. Kamisma

Kamisma Member

Btw nicholas, yes i read the popup on new game start :) Also i guess it's very helpful for those who do not crawl the forums all the time.

19. Dona Nelson

Dona Nelson Member

Flatten terrain is not working properly. Instead of filling in the gullies and ravines, they just make them deeper now.\

20. Alavaria

Alavaria Member

We can forever call 47 the version of non-plateaus

Hmm, I just watched my whole colony take a whole day off, from sundown on day 1 to sundown on day 2, ignoring their work shift indicators. What gives?

Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.