ALPHA 47B now in Experimental Branch

Discussion in 'Clockwork Empires General' started by Nicholas, Feb 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alephred

Alephred Royal Archivist for Queen And Empire

In my case, it happened in the course of playing. I saved the game so I'd have something to submit for a bug report.

2. MOOMANiBE

MOOMANiBE Ah, those were the days. Staff Member

Please don't jump to public conclusions like this when you're not the one spending time on work crew balance :p

Tikigod likes this.
  3. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

Well, it's news to me, okay? Perhaps a more accurate statement: I have yet to see anybody in the office playing who starts the game with a swath of terrain-flattening.

4. MOOMANiBE

MOOMANiBE Ah, those were the days. Staff Member

I generally flatten the local area a bit, as it's rather quick to do - especially considering how much longer stuff like logging takes in comparison.

5. Tikigod

Tikigod Member

Given the typical spew out by the map creation system, how could anyone playing not using debug/dev work arounds NOT use flatten terrain?

Imagining how a colony that was designed working around the non-build areas must look... well it's troubling...

[​IMG]

This being an example of the kind of terrain you often see right when you start.

Even @Alavaria and their weird and twisted colonies where everyone lives and works in 4x4 beach huts and every inch of the ground is a 1x?? stockpile couldn't exist there. :)

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
  6. Alavaria

Alavaria Member

Well yes, I certainly don't start with it, and later on I only do a little bit if necessary.

But how else are we building these large farms and building complexes without it?

7. Alephred

Alephred Royal Archivist for Queen And Empire

I imagine the barbershop should not be extending the foundation of a building under construction, right?

barbershop.jpg

Also: you never realize how much you flatten terrain until you can't.

flatten.jpg

Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
  8. Hoggypare

Hoggypare Member

The new module system is neat, despite its graphical problems at the moment, I am liking it very much.
    There is just one issue that bugs me - how do you deconstruct modules or cancel their placement now?

9. Puzzlemaker

Puzzlemaker Member

When you build buildings or certain zones, it should automatically flatten the terrain. That's what most builder games do, to simplify things. It would let everything flow much smoother.

Samut and Mikel like this.
  10. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

There will be a "delete module" button next to the "move module" button. This is all on my cleanup list.

11. Tikigod

Tikigod Member

So all interactions will be done by having a UI button that switches to a fixed interaction mode then?

So a 'Move' button along the bottom UI that has to clicked in order to be able to click on modules to move them, a 'delete' button has to be clicked to be switch to a state so you can click on modules to delete them and so forth for whatever other interaction options might potentially be a later idea (E.G. A upgrade option for modules that have a next tier that is the same gride size).

That's going to make changing/moving building contents about once there's more incentive to actually bother with later tier modules quite a bit more clunky feeling compared to the old object context menu.:(

Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
  12. Mikel

Mikel Waiting On Paperwork From The Ministry. Forever.

Well, I gave it a try... Found it a bit frustrating. I am guessing I need to further modify my play style....

13. Mikel

Found another case: A colonist with an item in hand stomped on bugs and became attached to the item.

14. Mikel

The tool tip for muskets in the metalworks still shows an iron plate needed in addition to the iron pipe and board.

15. Alavaria

Alavaria Member

Huh, when was this change made, that's good news :)

Looking at the workshop job, does the job actually try to find *two* sets of iron pipes (though it only uses one!)

A totally amusing description for steel ingots:
    And now you are naughty.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
    Samut likes this.
  16. Samut

Samut Member

If I'm reading that correctly, the job actually would look for two sets of iron pipes, even though it's dubbing the first set iron_plates as an internal variable name.

The line should probably be changed to something like (changes in bold):

<require_gameobject input="iron_plates" range="100" tag="iron_plates"
    failure_reason="Requires available iron plates." closest="1" require_owned="1"/>

Tikigod likes this.
  17. dbaumgart

dbaumgart Art Director Staff Member

Logged as OC-4407.

Logged as OC-4406.

Thx for reports!

18. Alavaria

Alavaria Member

The issue is that it never actually tries to pick up or use input="iron_plates" regardless, we'd have to check but I suspect it locks the item and then when job finishes unlocks it without causing any error.

19. Mikel

Fortunately, trees and such don't block farms and stockpiles... And they don't seem to have a negative effect on the operation/use of such.

20. Insanius

Insanius Member

So if I use the move module option on a placed module and then click any number of options in the bottom bar to effectively "cancel" the placement... what is supposed to happen? In practice the blueprint simply disappears without affecting the state of anything, save for the fact that I can now place other modules on top of it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.