ALPHA 47B now in Experimental Branch

Discussion in 'Clockwork Empires General' started by Nicholas, Feb 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

I have a feeling we will regret releasing alpha 47B on Friday afternoon on a long weekend. But what the heck.

Major Changes

Building & module placement system has been completely rewritten. Disclaimer:
    • "flatten terrain" has been temporarily deactivated
    • various cosmetic issues are known, ie. doors not punching holes and things being generally ugly.
    • There are some other known bugs with zones and things moving outside of the window.
    Added Chapel doctrines that have different effects on your colonists
    Bandits & related events have been overhauled

Full Changelog for Alpha 47B

performed complete rewrite of module and building placer
    added chapel doctrines, along with accompanying UI. Players may now choose a chapel doctrine in the building's interface, which will influence what effect their vicars' sermons have.
    re-enabled module animations and particle effects on a number of modules.
    performed refactoring of Bandit events to fit revised faction code; you will notice that some events have slightly different options
    added "Bandits Visit Town" event
    added "Ministry Investigates Stolen Goods" event
    added "Bandit Ties Investigated" event
    added "Bandits Guard Town" foreign office missions & hook to foreign invasion event
    trade missions now spawn with guards
    rubbish left lying around may now spawn vermin
    fixed up faction descriptions on Foreign Office buttons
    removed old references to "Seminary Training"; it is generally replaced with "Spiritually Inclined" trait.
    added first set of metallurgy/mining techs
    re-enabled pickup_animation for modules. This may cause some visual oddness until a related bug is fixed.
    all remaining jobs that allowed a worker to leave while they were in progress (i.e. smelting) have been changed to require worker presence.
    added an event that recommends a player build a barracks if they haven't done so by day 4
    added "?" box tutorials for the following windows: Foreign Office, Chapel, Laboratory, Mine, Trade Office.
    FIXED: stained glass windows were not being built
    FIXED: Iron scraps are now able to be smelted into bars like ore
    FIXED: costs for a number of modules with incorrect costs
    FIXED: various typos
    FIXED: zones are designated per-vertex and not per-tile
    FIXED: module placement crash when SHIFT-clicking multiple modules or placing modules rapidly and in succession
    FIXED: various issues with snapping modules not working correctly at all
    FIXED: extruded blueprint for an exterior model extends one unit behind the actual module (or more, depending on the interior height)
    FIXED: ghost chalkboard is not longer valid too for performing research
    FIXED: Iron Smelting Crucible consumed one too few bricks
    FIXED: people no longer stick their heads into ovens/workbenches when dropping off materials. Usually.
    FIXED: colonists will drop goods when retreating (fixes possible instances of objects attached to hands)
    FIXED 47A: fishperson steak ownership incorrectly assigned
    FIXED: civilians weren't correctly dropping firearms
    FIXED: scripterror when attempting to do Foreign Office action on Bandits when none are on map
    TEST: locked cabbage at start

Rentahamster and KillerKidClever like this.
  2. Alavaria

Alavaria Member

We play the heck out of it and you get tons of data into your eyes~~

Ok, time to play the heck out of it and return some data.

That Which Should Never Be.

I'm gonna die...

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
  3. wargarurumon

wargarurumon Member

it crashes on startup

4. Nicholas

Oh, well, that's not what I wanted to hear. Does it produce a crash dump?

EDIT: Actually, wait, no. I bet this is a shader issue. Can you find me the console.txt and upload it? Thanks!

5. wargarurumon

wargarurumon Member

okay seems i had to restart my computer

my bad, forgive me please

6. Nicholas

Nothing to forgive. It's still a bit weird, though.

7. mcnostril

mcnostril "The First To Crash"

I keep getting crashes when I'm in building mode (though the last one I was building when the auto save went off - save now crashes on load) - I've been able to get a couple of buildings down, but while I'm fiddling around with module placement it crashes (so far it's happened twice on my 3rd buidling)

8. Rentahamster

Rentahamster Member

wargarurumon and Unforked like this.
  9. Alephred

Alephred Royal Archivist for Queen And Empire

I was all confused when you mentioned the long weekend, because my calendar notes only that Monday is the Lunar New Year. Are you all druids or something?

Then I remembered Gaslamp Games is in British Columbia, where it will be Family Day.

10. Tikigod

Tikigod Member

So.....

How do you start building a colony now? :confused:

11. Alavaria

Alavaria Member

Obviously build it the way I do, with very small buildings scattered about.

12. Nicholas

Is the game producing crash dumps or error messages? Any idea what you're doing to cause the crash?

13. Unforked

Unforked Member

Keep rolling until you get a flat enough map...

14. Nicholas

(People actually *use* flatten terrain? Interesting. I don't know a single person in the office who starts their game with it.)

15. Nicholas

One crash seems to be if you create a building with more than one courtyard, but that's an easy enough fix.

16. Bluebird

Bluebird Member

Yup - frequently one of my first tasks to get some nice level ground around the area I wish to use.

Samut and PartTimeVillain like this.
  17. Nicholas

Well, crap. The more you know. This also might explain some balance issues - we haven't been accounting for the fact that you're going to start playing the game with one less frikkin' work crew...

PartTimeVillain, Viion and Bluebird like this.
  18. Alephred

Alephred Royal Archivist for Queen And Empire

I also use flatten terrain pretty extensively: I generally build my first couple of workshops (Carpentry and Kitchen) and the stockpile wherever they'll fit, but after that, I flatten terrain to accommodate the largest crop plot, and I generally flatten areas out so I can build a rough perimeter of buildings to surround my main farm and stockpile.

PartTimeVillain likes this.
  19. Kamisma

Kamisma Member

Well looks like i'm going to wait until flatten terrain is back to play CWE again :(

I launched a new game and my OCD quickly had the better of me.

The new building creation feels good now though, although there is a bug you can't cancel construction when drawing the plan, by clicking on cancel. You can cancel it after you exit the building mode though.

20. Kamisma

Kamisma Member

It doesn't really take that much time to flatten terrain.It's not like i flatten the whole area first thing, but i usually do to place my crop plots, cemetary and stockpiles, which takes up a lot of space.

Also unlike many people here my cities are always properly lined up with even sized buildings :p

PartTimeVillain and Viion like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.