ALPHA 46B now in Experimental Branch

Discussion in 'Clockwork Empires General' started by Nicholas, Jan 14, 2016.

1. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

Mainly bugfixes to 46A:
    • NPC groups carrying out neutral/friendly missions will abort those missions if relations turn hostile
    • military skill of a squad's commander now adds bonus damage to squad attacks
    • redcoat vs. militia status of soldiers now adds bonus damage to attacks (that is, redcoats do more damage)
    • clay pot decor are now boxed modules.
    • a few events that relied on Prestige to function have been re-enabled to work without it.
    • events that lost you prestige before will now lose you relations with civilized nations.
    • Items that are not allowed to be traded will no longer have a "mark as trade good" option on click
    • FIXED: error upon designating goods for trade
    • FIXED: costs for "Decent Cabinet" were wrong and have been corrected.
    • FIXED: Trade Depot icon should now be visible even when you don't have any bricks. (It doesn't require bricks to build, anyway.)
    • FIXED: Trade goods can now be selected in stacks
    • FIXED: forbidding stacks now also works as well
    • FIXED (47a): crash selecting trade depot after load/save
    • FIXED: phantom doors opening and closing after load/save
    • FIXED: instant drink brewing
    • FIXED: foreigners would punch fish steaks they happened upon
    • FIXED: naturalist_study_fishperson_corpse text error
    • FIXED: (46A) grayed out trade depot broken
    • FIXED: traders did no damage when attacking

2. Drumhead

Drumhead Member

Hey, so...uh...how do you assign a crew to the trade depot? It does not appear to have that part of the interface today.

3. Nicholas

It doesn't need a crew any more. We decided to change it so that you had a free overseer.

You *will* be able to assign SOMETHING to the trade depot, but that's in a future patch. Mwahahahah!

4. Alavaria

Alavaria Member

Maize Chowder, a 1:1 made from raw maize using "Cook Basic Food" is considered a quality food. Overseers are fine with this one.

[​IMG]

5. Kamisma

Kamisma Member

She seems pretty damn sane for someone who has seen a living monolith and never slept since

6. Alavaria

Alavaria Member

Well, it seems you can grow the "Domestic Coconut" in Antipodea, but not in Sogwood, where there are actual wild coconuts.

However, it seems to grow very fast and looking at it (60 seconds per stage for all stages) I'm wondering if it's actually supposed to be farmable...

7. dbaumgart

dbaumgart Art Director Staff Member

Thanks for the report, logged as OC-4302.

8. Daniel

Daniel CEO Staff Member

Any feedback on the foreign office and trade depot are appreciated. Have you tried them? if not, why? if so, were they useful and how did you feel about them?

9. Mikel

Mikel Waiting On Paperwork From The Ministry. Forever.

I've only used the foreign office as a replacement for the old prestige system. In that capacity, I find it somewhat inferior. However, it has many more capabilities that I have not even touched, so I can't give a good overall opinion.

Daniel likes this.
  10. Alavaria

Alavaria Member

Foreign Office:
    Very useful. Since your first mission for the bandits seems to turn off their ability to randomly raid you? (Just stay at standing 1 if you need to reclaim the overseer afterwards)
    Also, potentially being able to make use of bandit guards etc. But random if you'll get the mission when you're being attacked.

Trade Depot:
    Since it is now even less expensive, could be useful. Though there isn't an easy way to figure out what works for trading. However, if you do make some trade goods, it's only *potentially* useful, as how many traders and what they bring seems to be random.
    I suppose you could make some boxed modules out of wood and use them to trade?

An amusing source of unuseable Long Pork erc, as if they die to fishpeople who butcher them you can't pick up the long pork afterwards. Though now they can fight back (so you might get fishperson steak instead now)

Once your map fills up with Fishpeople groups (not hostile) and bandits (not hostile) then it becomes an amusing killing ground for all the traders, or indeed almost anyone not a colonist who walks through that wasteland.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
    Daniel likes this.
  11. Daniel

Daniel CEO Staff Member

Can you elaborate on this for us?

12. Sethiusdraven

Sethiusdraven Member

wouldn't mind seeing foreign office have something for fishpeople diplomacy as well, that way we could bribe them with worms, or flip them the middle gill if we like : )

Samut and Drumhead like this.
  13. Sethiusdraven

Sethiusdraven Member

for me I have 2 saves going, all out warfare, and peace for all mankind, just starting in on attempting trade

14. Daniel

Daniel CEO Staff Member

Fishpeople are probably going to get a lot creepier soon. You'll have choices for how to interact with them, but I wouldn't call it "diplomacy"

Samut likes this.
  15. Alavaria

Alavaria Member

Suppose I'm starting my colony and early on (which is reasonable) I make a trading post. Ok, so I know I need to have items to trade... what are my options?

Yes, we know from the blogs that special foods work, but early on you probably won't have the glass for pickling for example. Some other things work as well, I suppose. Like I noted you can designate boxed modules for trade... though then there's no way to know what to make.

Compare to crops which have indicator in the farm UI as to their yield, or growth time etc. It's only because I went about checking a bunch of things that I can see oh this or that can be traded. But if I haven't set up my metalworks... well, can we trade copper pipes? Besides making one and checking (then remembering) or looking for a trade_good flag in code (which is probably the lazy way which I would do) how would a player know? Also, not everything has a value listed in the tooltip (perhaps because you can't trade it? but perhaps you might be able to buy it, etc)

=========================================

I may also be thinking about how much does each product add to the (invisible!) next-overseer counter. Does churning out a ton of planks help? Perhaps then turning the planks into Boxed Spice Racks for more production then selling them... or maybe turn the planks into Boxed Wooden Brewing Vats to sell... etc

Anyway, for trading
    Logs: trade good value 50
    Planks: trade good value 80
    Charcoal: tradegood value 60.

Definitely easier to mass produce planks than charcoal... I should try this, my 46B game I was distracted by my NCO dying in like minute1 thanks to a single obeleskian...

I think conversion of planks into spice racks (1 plank => 1 rack for 120) is more efficient than into brewing vats (it's like 3 planks? but only worth 280).

So it seems like a processing is worth +30.
    And charcoal only gets +10 because it doesn't need a colonist to stand around with a progress bar?

A plank to a spice rack is another processing, this one adds +40.
    However, 3 planks into a bewing vat converts 240 into 280. One processing, action BUT you have to haul 3 planks in, instead of one, in order to get the +40.

Or take a another one, perhaps hauling is worth 10, and a progress bar is worth 20. (though charcoal requires higher tech and a more expensive module). If so then... the balance probably doesn't account for hauling work, does it, actually it may be significant as not everyone is a maniac who builds their carpenter right on the stockpile

Last edited: Jan 16, 2016
    Samut likes this.
  16. Alavaria

Alavaria Member

Also, I'll report here since I've checked:

The Farmers' Stew recipe in kitchen seems to imply you can use Cabbage, Chilli, Pumpkin or Maize. You can't actually use maize.

17. Daniel

Daniel CEO Staff Member

Thanks, this is super helpful. Can't comment on the other stuff because it's more arm's-length for me, but the input is awesome :)

18. Mikel

Will trade ever evolve to a currency system in addition to barter?
    Will trade ever include dynamic demand (changes in value of items over time, often for specific customers)?

With every other complex system in place for the game, it might just be too much to add too much depth to the trading system...

19. Nicholas

No, probably not. (See: any time you have interacted with the Dwarf Fortress currency model.

I would like to do this? But we'll see how my development energy and time gets spent. It's certainly good enough for a first version, and certainly easy enough to do once we get to the overworld stage (where such a thing might matter.)

20. Mikel

Not surprised about currency, as it adds a whole new layer of blech at times....

Any insights you can share about trade in the multiplayer environment?