ALPHA 45C NOW IN ... *sniff* do you smell something burning?

Discussion in 'Clockwork Empires General' started by Nicholas, Dec 15, 2015.

1. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

Alpha 45C has been added to the Experimental Branch on Steam. Changelog below?

- added Fire!!
    - OPTIMIZATION: several AI side performance issues with > 50 characters
    - FIXED: issues with lower class workers not working at foreign office desks
    - FIXED: slowdown by characters constantly checking if the thing they are holding in their hands is a bandit and if they should run away from it
    - FIXED: haywire scrollbar issue
    - FIXED 45A: job tagging of foreign office assigned lowerclass workers now executes correctly
    - FIXED 45B: brick ceramics kiln was rather cheaper to construct than intended
    - FIXED 45A: wall shrine icons unbroken
    - FIXED 45A: assigning a Chemist would crash the game

If you'll excuse me, I'd just better go.... check on the stove...

mrclint, Rentahamster, Samut and 3 others like this.
  2. Tikigod

Tikigod Member

BURN THE HERETIC!

Unforked likes this.
  3. Unforked

Unforked Member

So excited to see how much damage I can do with this!

4. Tikigod

Tikigod Member

Going to be a tough call between this update and Elite Dangerous: Horizons for me.

On one hand, fire in CWE has so many cool possibilities.

On the other, jumping into a rocket thruster powered buggy and blazing across low gravity moons doing triple aerial flips after hitting a tiny pebble at high speed and landing on your head, and then living in constant fear of driving at any speed above "Old half blind pensioner on a Sunday" for the next hour and treating every tiny pebble as some evil bastard out to kill you before finally coming to the realisation that this is how Mark Watney would have felt........

Last edited: Dec 15, 2015
  5. Unforked

Unforked Member

Ok, you're getting me really interested in Horizons. Already have Elite and a Rift dk2, so I guess it's a no brainer.:)

But... we should probably get back on topic here. I wonder just how far fire can spread? If we get an especially forest-dense map, could you conceivably burn everything? So many questions.

6. Tikigod

Tikigod Member

I seem to recall mention that objects have a "Ignite temperature" and a "Burn emit temperature". So as long as the objects in close proximity are emitting more heat when burning then their neighbours require to ignite, then there would be no end to the spread of fire.

Though I don't think it was clarified if local temperature is accumulative based on the average temperature emitted within a given area or if it's handled by isolated/targeted checks of each object on fire to see "Is this specific fire hot enough to ignite me"?

Edit: If you do get Horizons btw, Frontier are still operating the £10 existing player discount for the time being. So it's quite cheaper than buying it directly from Steam, and you can generate a Horizons Steam key from Frontier like with the base game.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2015
    Unforked likes this.
  7. Rentahamster

Rentahamster Member

Fire, you say?

8. Nicholas

Note: in the current build there aren't actually that many ways to get a thing *on* fire. I suggest land mines in the woods!

Tikigod and Unforked like this.
  9. Tikigod

Tikigod Member

No spontaneous combustion of sinners under the damning gaze of the righteous vicars?

Or Fishpeople being set ablaze upon setting foot within cogtonian churches?

Or perhaps a new breed for Obliskian that just floats around setting things on fire by spewing out eldritch laz0rs?

10. Nicholas

Hmm. Yes, I suppose we should have Spontaneous Human Combustion. After all, it is in Bleak House.

potashcar, STGGrant and Tikigod like this.
  11. Rentahamster

Rentahamster Member

Flamethrowers plz :life_steal:

12. LSky

LSky Member

I'm loving the bombing runs.

dbaumgart likes this.
  13. Unforked

Unforked Member

Yep, by far the most fun way to start a forest fire.

Semi-related: Bandit diplomacy is a tad confusing since the system is universal toward all bandit groups, and you can't really target individual groups for missions. I guess the standing applies to all groups collectively? Since some start out neutral and some hostile, this makes things a bit messy. Also, my bombing run didn't lower my standing at all.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
  14. Fluffeh

Fluffeh Member

Not only is that a hilarious part of the notes, but it just made me realize the cause of the memory leak I've spent three days trying to find.

STGGrant likes this.
  15. Nicholas

We endeavour to give satisfaction!

Fluffeh likes this.
  16. Wolg

Wolg Member

This has added a new aspect to fighting Obeliskians, since their death sequence seems to have ignition properties...