ALPHA 44B NOW IN EXPERIMENTAL BRANCH

Discussion in 'Clockwork Empires General' started by Nicholas, Nov 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

(This is the start of the great Military Rewrite: all the military code has been moved over to use the new decision tree logic system. In practice, this shouldn't actually mean much; I suspect some bugs have been fixed just because I cleaned up a bunch of issues with rally points. However, it now gives us some framework upon which to build, sanely, the rest of the military code. Onwards!)

Changelog:

added Haunting Spectres
    added Vengeful Spectres
    replaced all old military logic with military decision tree code (it is smarter! also: should fix rallying)
    added ability to directly order shrines destroyed
    added rudimentary journals for colonists for most important events to them during the previous day and week
    added a new cult-related event
    hunger incrementing moved to evening instead of night
    colonists will now pray at wall shrines
    made significant improvements to how colonists decide to engage in murder
    removed all UI filters for military crews (Hauling is not a suitable job for the brave troops of Her Majesty's 40th Civil Engineering Brigade)
    cultists will become upset if your order shrines destroyed
    corpses will now only reset their burial job at sunrise rather than every 10 seconds (it was spammy)
    memories will use greater range in icons
    balance: added various eldritch means which help sustain madness levels
    balance: slightly increased cult recruitment
    balance: occult curses require slightly more madness
    FIXED (44A): foreign_intervention error
    FIXED: possible error cases when cultist leader dies
    FIXED: rare scripterror when attempting to spawn eldritch artifact
    FIXED: vicars taking confession will no longer permanently paralyze colonists
    FIXED: was possible to order dissection of an Obeliskians more than once on the same specimen
    FIXED: script error when building clotheslines
    FIXED: issue w/ some decor modules not deconstructing correctly
    FIXED: various broken icons
    FIXED: cult group ending due to lack of sufficiently enthusiastic leadership scripterror

2. berkstin

berkstin Member

Yay! Do you think this will fix the Mac issues?

3. STGGrant

STGGrant Member

Something to think about going forward—it's really helpful early on (first couple of days) to have the military hauling things. Would you consider having the military doing "regular" jobs as an option, but one which incurs anger penalties (since they certainly shouldn't be dirtying their hands like common laborers?) It's an enticing trade-off.

Otherwise, all of this looks great, and I can't wait to try 44B!

4. Samut

Samut Member

Yeah, this whole 'hauling things is beneath the military' thing sounds odd.

Is the logic for the new decision tree readable and/or hackable, or does it reside in the forbidden realm of Compiled Code?

5. berkstin

berkstin Member

Also, this seems to mean that soldiers can't hunt anymore, which is a MAJOR bummer.

6. Tikigod

Tikigod Member

If that's the case then I really hope reinventing how some creatures exist in the world is planned before 45 ships. As the only way to deal with some things like burrowing mid-sized beetles just outside your colony is through hunting.

And until food gets the overdue balancing sorted out, I can't see there really being excess free workgroups to throw into hunting.

Will give 44b a poke in a short while.

7. Unforked

Unforked Member

I am so, so very happy about this!

Also the generally pro-cult, murder, and Eldritch nature of this update. Cheers!

8. potashcar

potashcar Member

QUOTE="Nicholas, post: 108092, member: 4"]Her Majesty's 40th Civil Engineering Brigade)[/QUOTE]

Mein Sehr Guter Herr.
    As it is evident you are doing most of the main work ,one would not have the luxury of time to indulge in pedantry as you are also having to to repair the inordinate amount of minor presumably unchecked error somehow occurring .

Here is a bit of the time consuming drudgery .
    If you should be so kind as to take a moment.

Poetic license possible.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artistic_license

A civilian (Civil);) perspective.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_engineering#History

Easily occurring.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxymoron

A little reality.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combat_engineer

Toodle loo

9. berkstin

berkstin Member

Welp... mac problems not solved. Seems to be a fatal crash when crops mature.

Also some weird graphic glitches (see screenshot).

Attached Files:

10. Tikigod

Tikigod Member

Indeed, that's the thing I'm most looking forward to poking. Though not sure if there really needs to be any more sources or prolonging of madness as that's already flooding the entire game at this point.

But changes to help trigger something meaningful from the abundance of madness is very much looked forward to. :)

11. I can confirm that soldiers not hunting anymore is indeed a major bummer when giant beetles come stampeding through. I'll have to wait til it happens again to double check, but it seemed like they weren't targeting them at all unless they hit a colonist. They could destroy the crops to their hearts' content and the soldiers just stood there looking bored.

berkstin likes this.
  12. LSky

LSky Member

The soldier update will require some major strategic adjustments. My colonies heavily relied on their hunting and hauling abilities.

One thing I noticed in 44A is that reassigning work crews with adjusted sleeping scheduled from/to workshops sometimes resets the sleeping schedule to the default value. I personally think that once its been customized by the player, that choice should override any changes that the game would want to make (when assigning crews to service buildings such as chapels and barbers for example) and therefor stop resetting them when the crews are reassigned. Right now, it's quite a mess to manage these for all work crews.

13. Nicholas

Yeah, the Mac build is still being investigated. I started on it today, but... oh dear lord, the Mac development toolchain is horrible. What a piece of absolute garbage.

Working on it, though!

Mikel and berkstin like this.
  14. Unforked

Unforked Member

I'm glad hunting is getting shaken up a bit--it's always seemed a little too easy to hunt. I mean, you see some wild game, you box-select, and boom, instant food compliments of the queen's finest. It shouldn't be as easy as foraging. Seems like citizens should be the ones doing that anyway, and those with certain traits doing it particularly well.

I get that the giant beetle event will be... tricky. But even then I'm sure there's a better gameplay solution out there than "select and fire". That's too RTS.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
  15. Snowpig

Snowpig Member

You will change your mind the first time being attacked by the worm in New Sogwood...

16. Tikigod

Tikigod Member

My main concern with hunting, military roles and other things getting shaken up right now is that it's happening off of an already extremely unstable and unbalanced foundation that has been so for a couple of months now.

Two contributing factors to this (albeit not the only 2 factors):

Food Production

Food production to put it politely just falls apart after a certain population threshold. If you manage it very well you can maybe get to 50 colonists fed by produced meals. Soon after that milestone you rapidly need to redirect more than 3 quarters of your colonies overseer manpower into food production including a minimum of 3 kitchens staffed out... or you just fail to be able to feed your colonists on much else other than raw food.

It's possible to scrape by up to 60 colonists before it descends into most colonists just living on raw food forever but really only if:

a) You make sure you lose somewhat less than a half dozen overseers throughout your colonies existence... that's including military NCO losses, as they need to be replaced and a minimum of 2 troops maintained just to help avoid losing more overseers.

b) Don't mind ignoring labs, naturalists, chapels and other 'fluff' roles because you need all the overseers you can get in food production and the rest of the left overs making sure there's enough to pick up a fraction of the load for raw/building materials and hauling so your kitchens don't drop behind.

c) You have your kitchens central to your colony and have all your farms 1-2 tiles away circling your kitchens.

d) Pretty much just exploit the living crap out of Pumpkins.

Hauling

Hauling at the moment is half one system, half another.

Colonist picks items off the floor to haul, they use one system.

Colonists make a item in a workshop, office or everything else of that nature, they use a different system.

This gives all sorts of erratic and inconsistent behaviour which contributes quite significantly toward a very flimsy backbone for 'shaking things up', especially when part of one system involves "Consolidate everything in sight and keep doing it until there's nothing to consolidate" and the other system involves "Don't consolidate anything, just throw it down anywhere there's a empty stockpile tile".... the two behaviours directly combat each other in that regard and causes all sorts of anomaly situations that wouldn't happen if it was all one system whichever way... but whilst it's part one, part another it's really in no state to be used as a foundation for any significant role or design changes for anything else.

Throw in some work jobs like mines that can have colonists able to produce 2-3 raw resources at a time, but the behaviour to drop items produced seemingly only supporting the ability to drop 1 item with the rest getting forever stuck in the colonists hands, and you got a 'fun' erratic setup.

So before there's really much more:

* Shaking up existing roles.
    * Bolting on partial implementations of totally new ideas.
    * Changing the design concept behind one specific existing system only, discarding the knock on implications it has.

Perhaps a good idea may be to take the current state of things, consolidate it into something that isn't such a hodge-podge "Duct tape" feeling affair currently in place and get what is there working in its own right.

As increasingly it's feeling more and more like some branches of development that were critical to getting that consolidation done as part of the regular development schedule have hit brick walls or have otherwise been delayed and not happened when they should have, whilst another branch of development just carried on steam rolling forward regardless to the fact that what it needed to have happened first never happened, yet it still tried to pretend it had happened by throwing in placeholder behaviour never really intended to stay around and built off of that.

And now we've got new things being bolted on top of things that were already bolted on in the first place to temporarily fill in for the gaps that crept in... but rather than dial it back to allow time for the areas lagging behind to fill the gaps properly with behaviour that is consistent or at least stable, instead the branch that originally steam rolled on continues to steam roll forward because that was the original plan.

Edit: Should go without saying, this is entirely just how it appears from the outside. Perhaps it's all part of some masterful design and all the existing gaps and dangling loose ends these last 2-3 months were all intended as part of the next steps forward.... if so, then great. Perhaps that could make an interesting topic for the next dev blog.

But if this impression is at all accurate, rather than continue layering on flimsy partial solutions on top of other partial solutions that all never held together for what they should have been doing in the first place and facing a major "Oh shit" realisation sometime next year when the majority of the games code needs to be rewritten to solve those holes. Putting on the brakes and getting what's there at least filling the roles they're meant to be filling reliably might save a lot of headaches later on.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
    Kamisma and Snowpig like this.
  17. Nicholas

To clarify:

The main reason that the military code has been rewritten is to get it working correctly. At one point it worked quite nicely, but the framework we used broke under the amount of stuff people wanted it to do. None of the original jobs in the military code have changed that much; what *has* changed is the method of their evaluation, which previously wasn't internally consistent and now is; and the fact that we now have internal tools for visualizing and editing it. Now that jobs are being fired consistently, by a decent and editable mechanism that operates in the job system proper instead of a pile of Lua scripts running randomly amok, we can actually have the military being responsive and doing things like picking up their guns correctly. Once we have that, we can start to think about planned defense systems, which gives you an incentive to funnel any possible attackers past Minim gun emplacements and bunkers and Steam Knights and all sorts of other goodies; the other piece of this puzzle is line-of-sight, so that your gabions will actually stop a bullet and so that people can actually be prone or hiding behind cover and having it be meaningful.

What I am interested in at this point is "does the thing jam up?" Does anybody go into an infinite loop, does anything blow up, does anything Bad happen. Once the answer to that is "no", I'll be happy (happier.)

The disabling of non-military operations for the military is because there are too many edge cases to manage effectively. If people have military units hauling or building carpentry workshops or whatever, then what happens is that it ends up in a snarl and we get complaints about "well, why didn't they shoot the bandits?" Well, everybody had a handful of cabbages at the time or their head stuck in a Stone Oven! The cheap, obvious, and probably correct fix (and what Dwarf Fortress does) is to stop military units from being anything other than military units. In this case, honestly, we're protecting the player from themselves. Is it possible we need to balance things back the other way to make play strategies viable now that your military can't lug all your cabbages from one side of the map to the other? Possibly. We'll see what we get back in terms of feedback. Hunting may, or may not, get put back into the mix too, once there are actual classes of "what jobs can a military unit do?" But that notion - designating that military units should patrol, or work on sapping and combat engineering (see potashcar's wikipedia articles), or should go hunting - depends on getting the logic firing correctly, which is now well-started if not done.

There is also the role of the aristocracy to consider. Surely, they wish to shoot animals.

Hauling issues are totally unrelated to the military rewrite. As you note, there are two different branches of the hauling code: one that is used for placed goods, which is now working correctly and which everybody likes; and one which is used for workshops and mines, which don't really seem to get stuff to where things are supposed to go. That's because, well, it uses the old code which we all know is a janky nightmare. The bottleneck on fixing hauling is my time, which has been spent dealing with the military stuff in the jobs system right now. It's not difficult to fix, I simply haven't found the right moment to do it. Most people have been vaguely content with the hauling after the rewrite it got a couple of patches ago, and the most recent area of trouble (with the most vocal commentary) has been inconsistent behavior of military units. It's still on a list, but right now I want to finish the military stuff (or at least get it to the next evolved state, like a Pokemon) and deal with various issues affecting OS X users, because it's a mess over there on Yosemite right now.

Food balancing is not my department. In fact, my understanding is that it was balanced, exhaustively, for October's patch (44) using methods that, quite frankly, I am not privy to. What I will say is that a great deal of work has gone into it, and more conceptual and design work has gone into it than I bother to put into anything I design. Without looking at your colonies I have no idea why you're having trouble keeping up, but if you felt like posting some more colonies I'm sure Chris or David would take a look. Generally it seems that people fall into "eh, food? that's easy" or "OH GOD EVERYTHING IS DYING OR STARVING", which leads me to conclude it's probably something to do with the relative distance between farms, stockpiles and kitchens, and/or how you have designed things in your fortifications. I don't recall having major problems with it last time I played a serious game of CE, which was about a week ago.

TL;DR: Military code isn't actually anything *new*, merely making what *was* there work. Hauling issues are known, bottlenecked on me, I am working on them; except for food balancing, which is not me, and I am not working on it.

"ge" in the console, also see game\jobs\decision_tree_jobs.xml or whatever the file is called. (No guarantees that any of this will work for anybody other than me.) Do not edit the decision_tree_jobs.xml manually; running the graph editor will trash your comments and pretty formatting and alignment.

Tikigod, Kamisma and Samut like this.
  18. Samut

Samut Member

Thanks for clarifying. I look forward to trying out the new build when time permits.

19. MOOMANiBE

MOOMANiBE Ah, those were the days. Staff Member

Hey! So, for what it's worth, I'm at least glad to see that issues on this have moved to the kitchen rather than everyone starving to death, which was the previous serious issue.

Right now, kitchen balance is, well.. not done. I have some design done on making recipes more interesting which are waiting on code, but resolving the actual issue of "cooking tons of food is difficult without dedicating tons of crews" is something that's going to need more work than might be expected - believe it or not, the actual time it takes to cook stuff is very low right now. The main issue comes from the fact that carrying each individual crop to and from the ovens is hugely time-consuming. I have some plans on how to resolve this, but they're going to take time - those of us doing balance stuff are certainly aware of the issue, though!

Kamisma and STGGrant like this.
  20. toran74

toran74 Member

The point has already been raised but hunting is now basically impossible for anything that fights back and doesn't die in 1 hit

you order the stag beetles to be hunted they take one shot and then get an attack in which breaks the moral of the colonist and you have to wait until your military guy comes running to help

As the game stands there seems to be little point to hunting after the first few day's and at the moment no way of effectively doing it during the first few day's

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.