ALPHA 44A NOW IN EXPERIMENTAL BRANCH

Discussion in 'Clockwork Empires General' started by Nicholas, Nov 5, 2015.

1. Unforked

Unforked Member

Adding to Tikigod's point about insanity levels dropping so fast: There's no reason to produce alcohol. I can't remember the last time I built any booze production, because madness doesn't need help getting reduced.

2. Danl

Danl Member

I'm having a real problem laying blueprints. The click and drag event only 'takes' about 1 in 5 attempts. Includes terrain things - farms and flatten terrain etc as well, but not dragging to e.g. chop wood. (Mac build, not seen this until 44A)

3. Bluebird

Bluebird Member

Still seeing rally orders not being obeyed by soldiers. Better than before but soldiers still returning to base and not sticking around despite no other orders pending.

4. Drumhead

Drumhead Member

DEMON BARBER! DEMON BARBER!
    2015-11-07_00001.jpg

Sethiusdraven and Unforked like this.
  5. Drumhead

Drumhead Member

Also, found some more glorious script errors. Wooo!
    1) when placing a decorative clothseline in a barracks
    2) when the barber tried to get her minion to heal her wounds

Also noticed that when soldiers despawn (in my case the temp redcoats and I think the other nations soldiers somewhere), they leave their weapons behind again. I was also having issues with item ownership. ex: butchered fishpeople meat is never collected unless I forbid and re-claim it. The same with bandit weapons and I think my own after soldier deaths, and artifacts that get dug up. some items are still left behind when constructing modules ( I know this ones been there a long while).

I found this patch, at least in this game, that I had a lot of casualties in my military. almost 6 three man squads in the first 12 days. Please look at making soldiers stay soldiers after the NCO is killed, please. EVERYONE IS DYING!.

Lots of fun though I had a great time.

Attached Files:

6. Tikigod

Tikigod Member

[​IMG]

Hey now.... you're getting different module visual highlighting to me!

You're getting very sharp clear distinct lines, and everything is highlighted in white.

I'm getting glowy blurred highlighting that makes everything look ghostly:

[​IMG]

How strange.... have you always had the white outlines or is it something you're getting new in 44A?

7. Sethiusdraven

Sethiusdraven Member

liking the lighting
    seems more ore is available on the map
    two thumbs up

would like to see a policy changing something for peaceful / kill em all fishperson diplomacy. Seems that after about 15-20 days, nobody is vocal about either way anymore.
    when a soldier has a gun and a better one is made/dropped, have them swap. I think they did it with pistol/revolver, but I don't think they were about rifles... however, question to all
    blunderbuss/musket/carbon which in order do you think is better?
    when cooking, 2 things
    a. it isn't cooking fishperson steaks
    b. when I was making first line 12minimum regular brew, when I looked I had 75
    rallying seems to be working much better then before, however
    can you make the bandit guy with the stone outfit have a 50/50 chance at bunzai attacking when he get's below half health instead of running off Every time? nothing like chasing the guy halfway across the map and still not put him down. Or make the distance "run away" shorter
    would like the ability to have better access to "available" workers in workgroups screen. Have the +/- button then like a ? button or a button with a worker face or something that will open a screen and really show who is currently a worker in that specific crew and a list of who's available, so that can determine traits / stats of individual worker. As it is now, it's easy for the farmers to get shuffled in with the cooks and have trained soldiers go to the smithy when having to go full military on an invasion, and have to jocky the survivers around.
    stockpiles: would like to be able to be item detailed on top of bulked description. Would also like to dictate maximum total limit in a stockpile. default 'infinite' with choice like "maximum X items"
    nco/soldier moral - I've seen an nco's moral go from full to 30% just by getting hit by a bug. Can you increase that some? There's nothing like having a bunch of bandits incoming, and 3 of your soldiers are put useless by a series of "bob is mad at dave *smack*"
    Mines - back in the day it was resource x4 clay/sand, now it's always clay/clay... can you put that back in? by the time you can put down a mine for glass generally most the town is already built, and everyone's on farms trying to keep the population from the brink of starvation, and the mine is usually 90 miles away.
    (granted next round will attempt to be closer to shoreline) which brings me to my next point.
    There is a need for additional startup time. By the time you scout out a distance, find a decent resource location, and begin getting the terrain even looked over, you already have fishpeople, and bandits knocking at your door, and I have barely even gotten the first tree cut down let alone a building or stockpile area cleared.
    before it wasn't such an issue to utilize your starting location and just get going, now if you don't find a source of iron, copper, and glass within reasonable shouting distance, your going to get clobbered. and doing a full teardown and moving to a new location later on isn't going to end well either.
    ugg, rambled again.
    Sethius

8. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

People not having white outlines: you should be having white outlines. Tiki, what video card are you on?

9. Tikigod

Tikigod Member

R9 270x 2GB.

Windows 7 64bit.

Rolled back Catalyst to 15.6 start of the week to address stability problems using the latest 15.7 stable release when trying to play Vermintide.

How long should there have been white outlines? New to 44a?

10. Wolg

Wolg Member

Anyone else find that placing an open window module in a corner reliably crashes the game?

11. Sethiusdraven

Sethiusdraven Member

started getting chuggy at 75 people, more chuggy at 82
    gabions will not build. ignored for long while, then got message Not enough timber, while I have 300 in stock and surrounding
    2 fully running kitchens doesn't even come close to feeding half the people, any chance of going back to 1 wheat make 2 bread?

12. Tikigod

Tikigod Member

For discussion about kitchens and a dev explaining why they're reluctant to go back to kitchens being multipliers see: https://community.gaslampgames.com/threads/criticism-of-the-kitchen.16397/#post-106938

Though 2 fully running kitchens not coming close to feeding 37-40 colonists sounds more like you've got supply issues in the colony.

* How far away are the stockpiles that are holding the raw food to your kitchens?

* How far away are those same stockpiles from your farms?

* How much of your raw food is being sourced by foraging and is not getting brought close to the kitchen ahead of time, causing cooks to have to walk all the way to collect it?

* How skilled are the overseers managing your kitchens?

* Have you tried changing kitchen workcrew work schedules to make them prepare food over night?

* Did you have any disruptions or initial short fallings that got your colonists stuck in a potential raw food consumption pattern where they eat the raw food before it can ever make it to the kitchens?

13. Samut

Samut Member

Jesus - does the gabion error message still refer to timber and not explain that logs need to be closer?

Looking at jobs.xml, the range for full gabions has been bumped up to 100, but for half gabions it's still 50.

Both jobs, however, still have a utility of 900, which was fine for when it was a military job, but not enough for civilian crews to look at unless they have nothing else to do.

Worst of all, the error message header and text are still confusing:

heading="Not Enough Timber" description="You lack the necessary logs to build a Gabion."

There shouldn't be any references to timber, since when trees get chopped down in this game the resulting commodity is called logs, and holy shit, tell the player they need logs to be closer to where the gabions are to be built. Something like heading="No Logs Nearby" description="There are no logs close enough to where you are trying to build a Gabion."

This would be a trivial fix, but has instead been sitting unresolved for 14 months. Can this please get corrected? It's cult-inducing maddening to see these things still tripping up newer players.

LSky and dbaumgart like this.
  14. Sethiusdraven

Sethiusdraven Member

I can agree with the descriptions of logs not close enough, doesn't make sense that distance of logs should matter. my workers are willing to carry from way out in left field as it is. without having option for stockpile "just this item" available, won't be easy to get logs to a location that would be strategic.
    I've been playing for a long while, but they must have put that particular change when I went on one of my online addiction disappearing acts. I wasn't reading the updates for months at a time.

Understandable about not wanting to jump back to the multiple per cooked item.
    i'm actually feeding 70+ colonists at the moment, which I had about 83 during previous post. I had to take a few out and hover at 72 for decent performance, and allowing jobs to finally catch up. Farming supply is fine, holding at around 220 wheat end of each day, so they aren't going hungry, and skills are quite up there for the cooks. They been at it a while, and stockpile is very close.
    am about to do my next inner town movement, and place another 2 kitchens, and have room for a 3rd if having 4 total still isn't enough. Those 2-3 I may use iron stoves but haven't chosen yet.

Followup to someone's post earlier. Totem's, idols, and coin looking things not being moved; I put up a science lab, and when all the modules were built, the scientist went around and picked them up for study. At the moment she's running away from unseen horrors, and further away from the rum.

as for nothing happening from madness, well not sure if it was madness, or just caused some, but I got to witness two people spontaneously combust into beetles... but "I don't believe in magic" but I do like a good beetle steak for dinner : )

15. Samut

Samut Member

Almost all jobs have a maximum distance beyond which they won't trigger; the gabion jobs just hit that limit more often since they're frequently built away from stockpiles.

16. Danl

Danl Member

No white lines here. Looks fuzzy like the second one. MacbookPro NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB

17. Drumhead

Drumhead Member

I believe i have always had the white lines. I did find that everything seems to be a bit glowey since the new lighting though, and I find it difficult to stare at for too long. It definitely needs some tweaking. I'm running Win8.1x64 with NVIDEA GeForce 760.

18. Sethiusdraven

Sethiusdraven Member

2015-11-09_00001.jpg 2015-11-09_00002a.jpg

Good things:
    first and most obvious -- Pathfinding! Worked very well
    Far off miners were eating and sleeping properly
    Workshop workloads. Make Minimum then go out and get to work. had all the workshops running rampant, and especially the metalshop. Had a minimum list of all bars and building mats, and throughout the save/load, attacks and etc, everything worked flawlessly.
    was able to keep everyone fed if not with all cooked food, at least nobody was getting to starvation. (just got 4th kitchen built when I shot this)
    "an eerie glow in the distance" indeed. Had a lot of lamps lighting this place up.
    Think I scared away the invasion army after I wiped out the ~20 troop attack with little casualties. haven't heard from them in a while.
    Had cult place shrine in the middle of public house. Without church, I was supportive. What better place to recruit then in the pub.
    all in all a good run.

avoided:
    Vicar - windows in corners - clotheslines - crewperson with barber - attempting to move overseers assigned to mines (crew members were no problem) - attacking fishpeople - putting keg or crew in public house

Not so good things:
    was building third house when I decided during module placement to place a bed in the second house. This cause my third house to become mostly invisible, but still functional.
    in picture where lamp is built, but glass still there, although very few times this occurred, it did still happen.
    only happened with overseers in mines - carrying bread or ore around not long after being assigned. when unassigned from mines, crewlist still showed "working in mine" -- did not attempt to use them elsewhere.
    Science box deliveries show up at map starting location, not at beacon. was unable to "study", as was unable to interact with and was too far away from science lab.
    Had issue where several people went after the same "squish the bug" near a stockpile, got themselves worked up in a loop which quickly involved attempting to move things in the stockpile at the same time. Although the game solved it's problem somehow, the items they were messing with did not physically fall out of the system, but visually stayed where the issue occurred, which just happens to be where my kitchen now sits.
    for items and leftover guns we can't pick up or do anything with, perhaps items that are not in a stockpile could have a timer like gibs, that if not interacted with for like 10-12 days, would "dissolve" out.
    Fish People Politics. When there is peace, there's shouldn't be hassling without cause. way it is at moment, any soldier hassles the fishpeople. Saw several times where they were coming in to drop off goodies, and were chased off. Also happened when I was about to be attacked my first time. "friendly fish people are coming to assist" sweet... Nope, hassled em all away. as I posted somewhere earlier, after the first dozen days nobody speaks up anymore about fishperson policy. Only thing we can do is break the truce by attacking just one... when I ended up doing during this round cause my nco was next to beach stuck in a hassling loop. Initiating attack on just one, opens war from all of them. Unable to reverse this by attempting to hassle others instead of attacking.

didn't see anything for interior lighting, just exterior. Perhaps we could also get Lamp posts in the future (maybe be helpful as a line of sight / un-fog of war assist) granted would only light up the night but wouldn't that make some sneaky fishpeople jump if a bunch of lamps lit up around them as the sun fell

19. dbaumgart

dbaumgart Art Director Staff Member

Fixed for 44B, sort of.

(Timber is technically the correct terminology, referring to the base material type, but we don't have a good way to display the fact that both Bamboo and Logs fulfill the timber requirement, but ... that's a whole other discussion. And Bamboo is pretty rare.)

20. Unforked

Unforked Member

Just witnessed the new "tree curse". I'm not entirely sure what all transpired, but overall it was pretty hilarious and bizarre. I'll just say it's an interesting reforestation method. :eek:

Samut and dbaumgart like this.